Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Hey everyone,

I recently installed both macports and fink. i understand that they both offer basically the same thing, and they both have their differences, but I am wondering that since they are both on my comp, will there be any compatibility issues. I program in fortran (currently use gfortran) and noticed that fink offers g77: which one is better? I compiled some programs in both and g77 does not give the accuracy that gfortran offers. Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks

Before anyone says anything, I use fortran because I do some heavy computations (theoretical high energy particle physics) and fortran was the best option for my situation. So lay off!! haha just kiddin

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don't worry, Fortran needs no apologies. It's still easier to do matrix calculations and other numerics in Fortran than in C.

gfortran is the fortran 95/2003 compiler which supersedes g77 (fortran 77).

So forget about g77. You should be using gfortran for all new projects (or ideally, the Intel Fortran compiler, but it isn't free).

alexmm

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
gfortran

Hello, i was wondering have you found gfortran through fink because i don't manage to find it with fink (using fink list after a fink selfupdate) ??
thanks a lot.

switham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
No, gfortran isn't offered through fink. Here is the link though that offers a nice download for it. Very easy to install. It set up the environment and everything for you, so no need to change/add paths for this install. It even places a fortran syntax editor in your xcode app. go to the bottom after you open xcode and there is a fortran template editor there.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBin...text=180&value=linkto:"GFortranBinariesMacOS"

Hope this helps.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
No, gfortran isn't offered through fink. Here is the link though that offers a nice download for it. Very easy to install. It set up the environment and everything for you, so no need to change/add paths for this install. It even places a fortran syntax editor in your xcode app. go to the bottom after you open xcode and there is a fortran template editor there.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBin...text=180&value=linkto:"GFortranBinariesMacOS"

Hope this helps.

Does this plugin work with Xcode 3.0? What build of the compiler is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.