Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Ok, I'm going to blame this one on my cat :) It seems that in his nasty habit of taking naps while resting a body part on the keyboard, he has managed to press some obscure key combination that has inverted the colors on my screen (like a color photograph negative). I've searched everywhere to try to revert this, but had no luck so far.

When I restart, and/or log out and back in again, the screen is normal during the booting sequence till I choose the account I want to log in with, then it immediatly goes into "x-ray" mode. If I choose another account, it will boot and log in with no screen problem whatsoever. So this must be either a preference option has been changed via keyboard command or the account is corrupted. Right?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Control + Option + Command + 8 will invert the display's colors.

Attachments

• invert.jpg
    invert.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,591

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Thank you very much!!!
Is this keyboard command documented somewhere?

Thanks again.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Yep- that and a LOT more keyboard shortcuts can be found in the "Help" menu of the finder!

...and that is the first place I would've looked if my Help files would work, but ever since I upgraded to 10.5.3 my Help files are useless. Short of starting a new thread, does anybody know if it's possible to reinstall just the Help files from the original Leo DVD.

Thanks again to everybody.

adnama8404

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
turning this shortcut off?

I know this is an old thread but if anyone is looking at it - is there a way to make that keyboard shortcut stop working? I have all these kids in my mac lab that always leave the screens inverted and I am so tired of switching it back!

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Yes there is.

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Just uncheck the "Reverse Black & White" option.

HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.