Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enuratique

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Hi all, sorry to ask such a off-the-wall question here, but is anyone else having problems accessing some of the documents linked to from the iPhone Dev Center? Specifically, if you try to go to the index of Objective-C 2.0 Programming Guide, it eventually times out and takes you to a very generic error page? I think it shows bad form on Apple's part to have their documentation unaccessible when a number of programmers are out there trying to finalize applications before the AppStore launches. Fortunately I have XCode download the documentation locally so when I'm actually at my mac developing, I can get the information I need but it's still a hassle nonetheless.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
People use the online documentation? That's more a hassle than anything, I'd think. :p

Email ADC, no one here's gonna be able to fix it.

pluto456

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
same problem for me. As far as I know it has been down the whole weekend as well. :(
I submitted a report to Apple via an online form, so hopefully they can resolve it soon

pluto456

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
People use the online documentation? That's more a hassle than anything, I'd think. :p

It's a necessity if you: a) don't have a mac and are using the Tool Chain on Windows (can't get documentation through XCode)... and b) have never programmed with Objective C or Cocoa before.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Same with the sample code:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/navigation/SampleCode.html

I'm trying to get a hold of the SQLiteBooks project - can anyone email it to me?

sion.smith@gmail.com

Cheers in advance

All the examples should be installed as part of the SDK. Search your docs.

It's a necessity if you: a) don't have a mac and are using the Tool Chain on Windows (can't get documentation through XCode)... and b) have never programmed with Objective C or Cocoa before.

A) Not having a Mac definitely is a reason, but Apple's SDK docs aren't much use to you if you're using the 1.1.4 toolchain.
B) I don't see what that has to do with anything. Everything else besides, docs are docs - online or in Xcode.

pluto456

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
A) Not having a Mac definitely is a reason, but Apple's SDK docs aren't much use to you if you're using the 1.1.4 toolchain.
I have actually found them to be quite useful. Most of the documentation says that it works on "iPhone OS 2.0 or higher" but I have yet to run into anything that doesn't work. They probably just say that since they didn't support third party native development until 2.0

B) I don't see what that has to do with anything. Everything else besides, docs are docs - online or in Xcode.
My point is that a) and b) are mutually inclusive. If you don't have a Mac, then you don't have Xcode or the SDK, then you don't have offline documentation. Otherwise you are right, docs are docs. It would be nice if I could download all the documentation as a pdf or something... to avoid situations like this in the future. If anyone knows of something like this, that would be nice :)

welshguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2005
Coincidentally that's one of the few samples I have downloaded... When I get home from work, I'll see if I can zip it up for you.

Cheers mate, its all up and running again now so i've managed to download what i need :)

thank again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.