Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

iPod touch album art mixed up and other issues

Hi! I am having problems with my iPod touch which was purchased in September (Week 38, so no screen problems). Lately, art from my albums and videos has been jumbling itself up. For example, I have the 3 Doors Down album Away From the Sun showing the Red Hot Chili Peppers Stadium Arcadium album cover in album view and Cover Flow, but when I play it, the now playing screen displays the House, M.D. Season 1 cover. This problem is not just affecting this album--I have at least 10 others with the same problem, as well as the tv show House, M.D. showing covers from assorted seasons of Family Guy on some episodes.

In addition, almost all of my apps have been crashing. Obviously, being as unstable as it is, Safari crashes the most. But lately music and videos have been crashing frequently. Settings has also crashed.

It is not jailbroken, is on 1.1.4 with the software upgrade. I have restored it 3 times for this issue and the problem persisted. I am scheduling an appointment at the Genius Bar for next weekend, so I would like to know what to say to them. Last time I went there, I had to go back 6 times to get my computer fixed because they would not listen to what I had to say-they just replaced everything in the computer and ended up not being able to fix it anyway. Thanks in advance!
txhockey9404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the rest, but the album art thing is caused by bad tagging. You probably have one or two songs on an album that aren't tagged consistently with the other songs on the album.

The solution is a bit of a pain. Look to see which albums have the wrong art and which art they have. Then look at the tags for those albums and fix any inconsistencies. Then you have to delete those albums off of the iPod and then put them back on. The bad news is that other albums may well start exhibiting the wrong art (it seems like a domino effect). You just do the same again (fix tags, delete, resync) until there are no more problems.

It's a case of hunting down the error by elimination.

I had this problem a while back, and once I'd eliminated all the tagging errors, I've never had it again.

My guess is that the iPod stores the art separately and uses some sort of numbering system to match art with albums. If the numbers get out of whack, you end up with this problem.

Hope this helps with that issue.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:19 AM   #3
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

While most of the albums that are messed up are imported cds, I have triple-checked their tags, and even re-imported some, and the problem is still happening. It is the right artwork in iTunes and on 3 5g iPods as well as a 3g Nano. The purchased albums are also correct, as well as all the TV shows, both purchased and ripped. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:54 AM   #4
mrpalmer420
macrumors regular

This is happening to me too but not with music it is with podcast so i know it is not the tagging. Also my video stuff is all screwed up.

This just started happening in the past month.
mrpalmer420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Did it seem to happen after updating to iTunes 7.6.2, because thats when mine started acting up, but it was doing odd stuff before that.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpalmer420 View Post
This is happening to me too but not with music it is with podcast so i know it is not the tagging. Also my video stuff is all screwed up.

This just started happening in the past month.
It may still be the tagging. Sometimes the albums for which the artwork is out of whack aren't the ones causing the problem. But the most important thing is to delete the files from the iPod. If you fix the tags and just resync, it doesn't seem to work. You need to sync to remove all the problem songs from the iPod and then resync to put them back on.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:35 AM   #7
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Smile

I did what you said and restored again. Guess what?

It miraculously worked. I guess three restores is the charm. Thanks for saving me a trip to the Apple Store!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:40 AM   #8
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhockey9404 View Post
I did what you said and restored again. Guess what?

It miraculously worked. I guess three restores is the charm. Thanks for saving me a trip to the Apple Store!
cool. np.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:08 AM   #9
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Sorry I spoke a little too soon. I should have used it before I posted. Now the album art works, but the iPod freezes very often. Once the music app was playing, but I could not control it at all-it was as if the touch screen would not register any touches. I think I am going to have to take it to the Apple Store after all. Maybe I can pay $100 to upgrade to the 32gb from the 16 because I am almost out of space. (I have a 100gb library plus 10gb pics so I really have to break it down)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:24 AM   #10
Moocher
macrumors regular

Touch artwork

I also had this problem. Some people said that if you turn off album artwork then sync and then turn AA back on and sync again that the problem would be solved. This did not work for me.

A genius recommended that I restore the Touch from the summary page. I did that and everything is copacetic.

Mooch
Moocher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:08 PM   #11
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Have you had any other problems? (Freezing often, crashing frequently, etc.)
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Agathon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhockey9404 View Post
Sorry I spoke a little too soon. I should have used it before I posted. Now the album art works, but the iPod freezes very often. Once the music app was playing, but I could not control it at all-it was as if the touch screen would not register any touches. I think I am going to have to take it to the Apple Store after all. Maybe I can pay $100 to upgrade to the 32gb from the 16 because I am almost out of space. (I have a 100gb library plus 10gb pics so I really have to break it down)
That sounds like a separate problem. The artwork is just borked tagging. It looks like you should take it back. At least with your tags fixed, the new one won't suffer the artwork problems.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 05:47 PM   #13
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

I made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:10 central time. I'll report back on what happens. Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:53 AM   #14
txhockey9404
macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the late reply, but I was pretty busy yesterday. I went and talked to the guy at the genius bar, and basically all that I came out with was that he put in a trouble ticket, he liked my invisible shield, and thought that it was pretty cool that my iPod touch was showing the iPhone ipod app. So if anything else happens I can go right back and show it to them to get a replacement.

It really was nowhere near as bad as it was with my computer. I am sure now that I just had a bad experience. The guy I had this time was really nice, especially considering I am a 14 year old and went in without a parent. He was about as helpful as he could be. (I would have liked a replacement though)

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch