Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiotSauce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Ok, so can anyone confirm that the texting plan that comes standard for the 3g iPhone is the lame 200 texts? That seriously is a slap in the face to consumers especially because the iPhone is a texting powerhouse. If thats the case, could you possibly add another 200 texts? Since with the old iPhone wasn't the 200 text considered part of the plan and not an extra? Also-- Someone needs to make a good internet based text message application if that is possible... I know my dad will occasionally shoot me a text via some website...

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Currently there is no text plan bundled into the voice plans or the $30 data plan, you have to purchase it separately.

250 texts is $5
1500 texts is $15 (I believe)
Unlimited is $20

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
AT&T has not yet given any SOLID plan information on the iPhone 3G. The most we can make are educated or well informed assumptions.

The plans will now be the same as all of AT&T smartphone plans which do NOT include texts. The iPhone is no longer being given special consideration regarding plans.

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
There won't be any texts included, but if you are a person who plans on texting, then you probably would have a plan, as most people that I know that text would use more than 200 a month, but then again, that is just what I have seen.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Ok, so can anyone confirm that the texting plan that comes standard for the 3g iPhone is the lame 200 texts? That seriously is a slap in the face to consumers especially because the iPhone is a texting powerhouse. If thats the case, could you possibly add another 200 texts? Since with the old iPhone wasn't the 200 text considered part of the plan and not an extra? Also-- Someone needs to make a good internet based text message application if that is possible... I know my dad will occasionally shoot me a text via some website...

LAME free 200 SMS??? That's so cheap and generous.

The 3G iPhone is going to be the same as all the other smart phones with no texting plan inclusion (separate).

Just because Apple designed it so it's really good for texting, doesn't mean that AT&T's gonna make texting cheaper.

That's almost like saying "This old Dell with Geforce 4400 came with two games...now that the Dell XPS with Geforce 8800 Ultra is out, is it going to come with the lame two games or am I going to get five? Cause that would be a slap in the face to some consumers especially because the Dell XPS is a gaming powerhouse" (yes, I know everyone has opinions...I had to choose a computer everyone would recognize)

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Unlimited text is $20/month. That is ridiculous. I hope this will encourage others to resort to email/IM. I'd rather do the G-Talk (if it becomes available), or plain old email anyway. Of course, that means the other person would need a email/data capable phone, too...

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Unlimited text is $20/month. That is ridiculous. I hope this will encourage others to resort to email/IM. I'd rather do the G-Talk (if it becomes available), or plain old email anyway. Of course, that means the other person would need a email/data capable phone, too...

It's always been that way, though.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
You would think that as texting gets more popular companies try to make it more affordable to draw in more customers. Smh at AT&T.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Oh really? damn, oh well. I just hope AIM works well for the iPhone.
Well, if you're planning to AIM instead of text to save money, I don't think it will work.

AT&T said:
Messaging Unlimited
Now have the freedom of unlimited messaging for one low monthly price with no messaging overage charges. Send and receive unlimited messages - text, picture, video and IM with anyone in the U.S.

So it would seem, according to this, that an IM would count as a text message.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
Oh really? damn, oh well. I just hope AIM works well for the iPhone.

Well, if you're planning to AIM instead of text to save money, I don't think it will work.

So it would seem, according to this, that an IM would count as a text message.

AIM on phones count as text. But it is possible for the iPhone to be the first phone that doesn't. It depends on how powerful the SDK is, I believe. And knowing that, I believe that AIM will run through as data instead of SMS if they make it work with http requests like Apollo IM and MobileChat.

Oh lord, smh. Ummm well hopefully that changes because I refuse to have IMs count as texts.

Every other phone had IMs as text. The iPhone would be the first I think...

Unless the Blackberrys/Palm/other smart phones already have that covered.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
When you say IMs count as texts do you mean when you IM someone via text or when I open the AIM client on a phone and the messages I send thru the AIM client are texts.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
The plans will now be the same as all of AT&T smartphone plans which do NOT include texts. The iPhone is no longer being given special consideration regarding plans.

well lets hope because its going to be the same as other atat smart phones that its eligible for my ATT work discounts

Paul S

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Every other phone had IMs as text. The iPhone would be the first I think...

Unless the Blackberrys/Palm/other smart phones already have that covered.

I haven't used AIM, but I had Google Talk (GTalk) on my Blackberry, and it didn't come through as texts--just used data. It was so nice.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
an interesting thought about the text message option (and why separate plans are a rip)...all those plans include mms of all kinds, which of course means that the cost of the plan factored in those features

since the phone obviously lacks that ability, special sms only plans should really be created, which was the case with the original iPhone and I am convinced the reason why the data plan included text was simply because MMS was not available and the inclusion of sms in the data was too offset that lack of feature.

I also assume ATT and Apple made a deal that there would be no MMS so long as SMS was part of the data plan.

I don't know what any of this speculation has to do with the 3G, but that's as much as everyone in the world knows right now...

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
When you say IMs count as texts do you mean when you IM someone via text or when I open the AIM client on a phone and the messages I send thru the AIM client are texts.

AT&T specifically states that they allow free sign-in. So even if you're paying texting as you go, it's still free to sign in and out.

It counts when someone IMs you or you IM back...and then if a single one is over 160 characters (or words? nah.) then it gets split into two.

I haven't used AIM, but I had Google Talk (GTalk) on my Blackberry, and it didn't come through as texts--just used data. It was so nice.

Hopefully all the IM clients for the iPhone are the same :).

M0bile

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
What I would like to know is why there's no option in between $5 and $15? It just goes straight from 200/$5 to 1500/$15. I know I can do 200-300/month, but I can't get anywhere near 1500 to justify $15/month. And I do mean anywhere, unless there's an AIM/iChat client that comes out that counts as texts. :(

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Everyone...AT&T has not announced the pricing plans for the iPhone 3g!! That said, I strongly believe that there will be texts included, like the old plan has. If it doesn't then that will make it really hard for me, and lots of people I know to justify the extra monthly expense of the new iPhone 3g. Texts cost the carriers hundredths of a cent each to send. They would be foolish not to at least tack on the 200 messages, as the extra $10 a month cost is already a kick in the pants. 200 messages is usually enough for most of the people I know who are my age who are in their early to mid 20's and missed out on the big texting boom. My sister, who is just 4 years younger than me needs thousands of texts and never removes her thumbs from her crappy T-Mobile phone all day long. I just don't understand it, but for most people my age who are young professionals exiting college we don't need that many texts and we are more likely to purchase the new iPhone. I know its not the case for everyone my age but its better than nothing and makes the transition much smoother and easier to justify IMO.

Rozvagyj

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007

I use AIM on my blackberry (till july 11th...) and it come thru as data, not as txts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.