Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
You can easily add it back like mentioned above. You can also add any folder to the right side of your dock by dragging it there as well. I have a photo folder placed there next to my downloads so I can find photos fairly easily.

joya

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
weird ish w/ downloads folder

Hi,

I also moved the download folder off the dock by accident. I searched for it and dragged it back there, but now when I download anything, it doesn't pop up in that folder anymore. It just downloads and then disappears into the abyss of my computer. I can search for the file I downloaded, but it's a pain. I tried restarting but no luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

joya

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
solved my own problem...

Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Go to "Users" and click on your folder; you should see a folder called "downloads." Just drag it onto your dock right of the dotted line.

threedimnz

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2009
Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Go to "Users" and click on your folder; you should see a folder called "downloads." Just drag it onto your dock right of the dotted line.

OMG...i really appreciate this forum...I could NOT figure this one out for the life of me...I am a Mac newb and was in the same predicament with my downloads folder...thank you so much !!!

talkindrum

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Download Folder has ? in my Dock

my Download folder in my dock has a ? mark on it, also it wont open...
i can go to" user " and it will open that way and all my stuff is there
when i try to drag the folder from "user" to the dock, it doesnt work!
the one with the ? in the dock still remains, it wont let me delete it
anyone know of this or how to resolve?

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
have you tried clicking, holding and draggin the download folder outta the dock. If you right click the download folder>show in finder>it should take you to ~users/you/downloads. Try that, it might be the link in the folder is broken, hence the question mark, cos it cant find the folder.

PTP

gottoask

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
re:question mark in Document icon in dock

Hello,

My Document folder is gone. And I am left with a Document folder icon with a question mark in the Dock. I have Mac OS 10.5 ie. Leopard. So I used the Spotlight in Finder to search for it in the Hard Disk. I only have one drive and I didn't do Time Machine. I even added specific criterion like title.

I went to the Mac Hard Disk,User,there is no Document folder while other users still got theirs

I looked in the Download folder and it seemed about 4 or 5 documents have been moved there by mistake but I should have about 50 documents. I looked in the Trash can and there are 22 RECOVERED FILES but inside is only MICROSOFT ERROR REPORTING
which is an application downloaded from the internet. The dates were the dates of my documents

If I am successful in retrieving them I will backup to a USB stick.
Please help

At a lost

chris8806apple

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
please help!

im not exactly sure how this happened but every time i try to download anything on my computer, the little window that pops up every time the download has started is missing. i have a macbook pro and using mac osx 10.6.3 ive looked all over the web trying to find how to fix this, there is no real problem its just very inconvenient for me, i use to always be able to track my download and view the status of completion but now i can and its getting very irritating. the reason i bought a mac is b.c there so easy to use and somehow im messing it all up lol. if anyone knows any information please reply.

thank you

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
im not exactly sure how this happened but every time i try to download anything on my computer, the little window that pops up every time the download has started is missing. i have a macbook pro and using mac osx 10.6.3 ive looked all over the web trying to find how to fix this, there is no real problem its just very inconvenient for me, i use to always be able to track my download and view the status of completion but now i can and its getting very irritating. the reason i bought a mac is b.c there so easy to use and somehow im messing it all up lol. if anyone knows any information please reply.

thank you

I believe your referring to the Downloads Window. In Safari, go to Window and select Downloads.
Picture 1.png

chris8806apple

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
I believe your referring to the Downloads Window. In Safari, go to Window and select Downloads.
View attachment 220553

ok bare with me here, so you want me to actually click on my safari window? or up at the top where it says safari next to the apple logo? either way i dont see a tab that says download. ill keep searching i just dont want to alter anything else in the process lol

ok bare with me here, so you want me to actually click on my safari window? or up at the top where it says safari next to the apple logo? either way i dont see a tab that says download. ill keep searching i just dont want to alter anything else in the process lol

never mind what you said is very self explanatory, i just had to read it a few times to comprehend. thank you

does anyone know how to get the downloads to show in order like the last most recent download when you click on the downloads icon in the dock? every time i click on it it just shows random downloads, there not in any order, im trying to make it show the most recent

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
i just love the os x dock, couldnt live without it now. I too posted on here last year about the same problem haha

DightonLady

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
Replacing Download Folder that was accidentally removed

The go to the user's folder and dragging to the dock was super helpful and easy...thanks!!

jbanx9921

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
So I accidentally deleted my downloads folder from the dock and although I was able to drag and drop it in again, my new downloads no longer sync to the new folder. Anyone know how to fix this?:confused:

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
So I accidentally deleted my downloads folder from the dock and although I was able to drag and drop it in again, my new downloads no longer sync to the new folder. Anyone know how to fix this?:confused:

Go to Preferences in Safari and change the Folder to which Downloads are saved to:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 651

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
So I accidentally deleted my downloads folder from the dock and although I was able to drag and drop it in again, my new downloads no longer sync to the new folder.

You didn't create anything new, so that's odd. Items in the Dock are "shortcuts" or like aliases - take your pick of the terminology. After dragging the Downloads folder to the Dock, new downloads should go to the same place they were going before that.

Anyway, did the solution proposed above fix it for you?

nsegg

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
issue with power point in the dock

I used PPT a week ago, but not there is a semi-transparent question mark over the icon in the dock. When I search, I can't find it on the computer, though the other office Suite is still there.

No idea what happened. Any ideas? Or, how to restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.