Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoutdog101

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Hi all,

I just purchased a MBP 2.4 GHz a little while back and am looking at installing Windows on Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion to run the few programs I have that are Windows only. Unfortunately, all the copies of Windows that we have are already registered on other computers, so I need to purchase a new version... So I have a few questions (especially for those who may have done this already):

1) Is the OEM (cheaper, system builder version from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056) compatible with Boot Camp and VMWare? It seems like it may be okay with Boot Camp, but I have heard next to nothing about with VMWare...

2) Will I need two registration numbers? I've heard that you can call Microsoft and explain that you are installing it on the same computer, with two different access methods, and they will give you another key... Is that true?

3) I assume that the OEM version is fully updatable (i.e. I can get SP3 and any security upgrades - I know I can't upgrade it to Vista, and don't want to), but I just want to make sure before I drop money on it.

4) Lastly, and this may be a dumb question, but I saw somewhere that only Pro utilizes the dual-core processor.... If that is the case, then I would be willing to pay the money for the Pro version, though I only need XP for Photoshop, and Macro-filled Excel sheets.

Thanks,
Will

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Hi all,

I just purchased a MBP 2.4 GHz a little while back and am looking at installing Windows on Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion to run the few programs I have that are Windows only. Unfortunately, all the copies of Windows that we have are already registered on other computers, so I need to purchase a new version... So I have a few questions (especially for those who may have done this already):

1) Is the OEM (cheaper, system builder version from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116056) compatible with Boot Camp and VMWare? It seems like it may be okay with Boot Camp, but I have heard next to nothing about with VMWare...

2) Will I need two registration numbers? I've heard that you can call Microsoft and explain that you are installing it on the same computer, with two different access methods, and they will give you another key... Is that true?

3) I assume that the OEM version is fully updatable (i.e. I can get SP3 and any security upgrades - I know I can't upgrade it to Vista, and don't want to), but I just want to make sure before I drop money on it.

4) Lastly, and this may be a dumb question, but I saw somewhere that only Pro utilizes the dual-core processor.... If that is the case, then I would be willing to pay the money for the Pro version, though I only need XP for Photoshop, and Macro-filled Excel sheets.

Thanks,
Will

Hi :)

1. Yep, cheaper and works fine.

2. I shouldnt think so - i installed vista on my dads dell n my macbook with the same key.

3. It gets updates like the other versions do.

4. Dunno lol - just boot camp it its easier :p

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
1. As above
2. Should not be a problem if they give any flak just explain the problem. If that does not work hang up and call again for a more lenient rep.
3. As above
4. You are confusing dual core and dual processor. For multi processor like in the Mac Pro Octo core (2 processors with 4 cores each) you need XP Pro to utilize both CPU's. For multi core like Quad Mac Pro or any other Mac XP Home is fine. Just think of the lawsuits that would occur against Dell, HP etc.. selling Core 2 Duo's, Quadro's, Pentium D's etc... with XP Home installed and only one core worked.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
OEM is exactly the same as the retail version you just don't get tech support (and when was the last time you called MS for tech support :D)
You will need to register twice. Register with the original key in BC and then when you run VM Fusion Windows will recognize that all of your hardware has changed (you're now running in a virtual environment) and you will need to use either Microsoft's automated phone service to get a new key or talk to a live person and tell them that you had to reinstall due to a bad hard drive and they will give you a new key (I had no problems whatsoever).
If you buy Vista (and I would highly recommend it over XP) online from NewEgg or ZipZoomFly (as I did) you will either get a disc with SP1 included or they will tape an SP1 disc to the box (as in my case). With the latter just install Vista first and then the SP1 disc.
If you buy either XP or Vista they will support dual core CPUs but only XP Pro or Vista Business support multiple CPUs.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
You will need to register twice. Register with the original key in BC and then when you run VM Fusion Windows will recognize that all of your hardware has changed (you're now running in a virtual environment) and you will need to use either Microsoft's automated phone service to get a new key or talk to a live person and tell them that you had to reinstall due to a bad hard drive and they will give you a new key (I had no problems whatsoever).

I used the automated phone system to get a new key after I "cloned" my Dell-installed XP onto my iMac using Parallels. It took me a couple of goes to give the system the necessary correct answers, but I got a new key without too much hassle. I think the trigger was to answer "Yes" to the question of whether I had made significant changes to my system. Which I had...it was now a Mac.

JNB

macrumors 604
You may need to activate twice if you do it wrong. I've got XP Pro OEM under Boot Camp, virtualized first under Parallels, then under VMWare, WinCloned & restored twice (once on a completely new drive), and I have had to activate exactly... once.

0. Print, read, and follow exactly the Boot Camp Setup Guide.
1. Set BC partition.
2. Install Windows.
3. Reboot into Windows and reinsert the Leopard DVD, install drivers.
4. Activate Windows, install updates & patches.
5. Reboot into Mac OS.
6. Install Fusion & launch, it will automatically see the BC partition.
7. Launch Windows from Fusion, Install VMWare Tools, no worries.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I am currently researching the same thing for my friends Macbook, and this thread is helpful, but I want to know one thing from the OP...

WHY on earth do you need Windows for Photoshop?

JNB

macrumors 604
I am currently researching the same thing for my friends Macbook, and this thread is helpful, but I want to know one thing from the OP...

WHY on earth do you need Windows for Photoshop?

If the OP's already got it for Windows, maybe this is why?

Attachments

• Adobe - Photoshop CS3 editions.jpg
    Adobe - Photoshop CS3 editions.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 160

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
Adobe will transfer his license to and send him a copy of the Mac version for simply the cost of shipping.

Most people don't know that. They will do it with almost any of their software.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
I used the automated phone system to get a new key after I "cloned" my Dell-installed XP onto my iMac using Parallels. It took me a couple of goes to give the system the necessary correct answers, but I got a new key without too much hassle. I think the trigger was to answer "Yes" to the question of whether I had made significant changes to my system. Which I had...it was now a Mac.

Congrats on violating the terms of the OEM license. :rolleyes:

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
heh, M$ has enough money, plus it was their choice to stop selling XP at this point, so if users still want it and don't want to deal with Vista, because it's really bad (I gave it 6 months and still couldn't stand it), that's about the only way to be able to use it...

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
You may need to activate twice if you do it wrong. I've got XP Pro OEM under Boot Camp, virtualized first under Parallels, then under VMWare, WinCloned & restored twice (once on a completely new drive), and I have had to activate exactly... once.

That's weird because I followed that procedure exactly. However I use Parallels but that shouldn't make any difference. I wonder why you only had to activate once and I (and a lot of other people) had to twice.
Strange :confused:

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Adobe will transfer his license to and send him a copy of the Mac version for simply the cost of shipping.

Most people don't know that. They will do it with almost any of their software.

That's very interesting. I have a full version of Photoshop 7.0 and Acrobat 6.0. Will they let me have Mac versions for both or do I have to have the latest version?
Thanks

I just called Adobe and it's not just the cost of shipping you have to pay the upgrade cost as well. From Photoshop 7.0 to CS3 is $199 and Acrobat 6.0 to 9.0 is $149. It's classed as a Cross Platform Upgrade. I elected to go with Photoshop Elements as I don't need the full pro version and it cost $99. Not as cheap as you say but better than buying a full Mac version. I had to fill out and fax in a from saying I had uninstalled and destroyed the original versions before they would release the order.

odog402

macrumors member
May 26, 2008

0. Print, read, and follow exactly the Boot Camp Setup Guide.
1. Set BC partition.
2. Install Windows.
3. Reboot into Windows and reinsert the Leopard DVD, install drivers.
4. Activate Windows, install updates & patches.
5. Reboot into Mac OS.
6. Install Fusion & launch, it will automatically see the BC partition.
7. Launch Windows from Fusion, Install VMWare Tools, no worries.

Hey, I did the process this exact same way and it didn't work. VM fusion windows keeps asking me to activate and I can't because it says I already activated on the net (via boot camp)

Should I just delete the partition and start over?

JNB

macrumors 604
That's weird because I followed that procedure exactly. However I use Parallels but that shouldn't make any difference. I wonder why you only had to activate once and I (and a lot of other people) had to twice.
Strange :confused:

Hey, I did the process this exact same way and it didn't work. VM fusion windows keeps asking me to activate and I can't because it says I already activated on the net (via boot camp)

Should I just delete the partition and start over?

Well, I'm stumped. Now, I have an OEM copy of XP instead of a Retail copy, but that shouldn't make a difference, as it still required activation in the first place. Then again, knowing Microsoft...

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Well, I'm stumped. Now, I have an OEM copy of XP instead of a Retail copy, but that shouldn't make a difference, as it still required activation in the first place. Then again, knowing Microsoft...

There is absolutely no difference between OEM and retail except the tech support.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
There is absolutely no difference between OEM and retail except the tech support.
Hey now! The retail version does come in a prettier box:D.

Also you are "allowed" to transfer the retail version to a new computer if deleted from the old one while the OEM is locked to the first computer it is installed on, but who listens to that rule.

Siron

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008
North Carolina
Hey now! The retail version does come in a prettier box:D.

Also you are "allowed" to transfer the retail version to a new computer if deleted from the old one while the OEM is locked to the first computer it is installed on, but who listens to that rule.

Yea right. Just tell them that it's not a new computer, you installed a new power supply, case, motherboard, memory, video card and hard drive :p

odog402

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
I called these guys last night and just told them that the hard drive I originally installed my XP on, crapped out and I had to install it on a new hard drive, but the same computer. She gave me a new reg key right there without any hassle.

nfieldr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I have just installed Fusion on my iMac and I want to add an XP virtual machine. To get XP activated, is it required to also install it with Boot Camp? What are the advantages to using BC vs. just using Fusion? TIA.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I have just installed Fusion on my iMac and I want to add an XP virtual machine. To get XP activated, is it required to also install it with Boot Camp? What are the advantages to using BC vs. just using Fusion? TIA.

Fusion boots Windows from within OS X so you run the two OS's together.

Boot Camp runs windows only so requires a re-boot to start into OS X.

No you don't install XP with boot camp for Fusion.

nfieldr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply, Dude. I've got the big picture on how BC and Fusion work... I'm already running a couple of Linux VM's in Fusion. I'm not an expect on M$'s obtuse licensing / activation process, and reading this thread has me a little concerned. I guess that I didn't clearly state my questions.

Are there advantages to running XP in BC instead of Fusion?
Are there any issues with activating a new install of XP in Fusion if it has not been activated in BC?

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
no worries mate :)

well it doesn't require so high system requirements (to run XP + OS X would need a minimum of 2GB RAM and a Core 2 processor really for best results) as it's only booting one OS, and Macs seem to be the fastest machines for running Windows ironically. It's also free to use BC (after buying/torrenting windows of course) whereas Fusion costs.

So, really the only benefits are cost, performance and lower system requirements.

I shouldn't imagine there'd be any issues, as you don't need BC to use Fusion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.