Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:07 PM   #1
macrumors member

Lightbulb frankenstein - my tibook [pics]

This thread is a sort of hommage to the machine I'm using while I wait for the new MBP.

A while back my father broke the LCD so the machine was sitting in a closet ever since. Anyway, some time ago I decided to sell my PowerBook G4 12in while I could still get a good price for it and have been using frankenstein for about a year now.

Since I operate the computer on "closed-lid" mode, I was having trouble keeping the LCD closed because it didn't allow the heat to dissipate, so the fans where running constantly ... I removed it.
After it was gone, the computer would still think that it had an LCD attached. After a lot of Googling, I found on this helpful page that a magnet-operated sensor manages the 'open' or 'closed' status of the lid. The magnet was inside the lid, so I removed it and now its under the masking tape shown on Pic. 1. It has to be placed on that precise spot on top of the trackpad.

It didn't have USB2 so it was a pain to sync iPods or capture pictures from the camera, so I bought a two port DLink DUB-C2 USB 2.0 PCMCIA card that works out of-the-box with OS X.

Since the internal HDD was small and slow I bought a larger 250GB drive, hooked it via FireWire to a miniStack v2 case that has the virtue of regulating the fan speed depending on the temperature, so it runs quiet most of the time (plus it has both FW and USB hubs).

As for the display, I use a Dell 2407WFP 24 inch LCD. Excellent btw. It comes with a powered 4-port USB 2.0 hub so I attached it to the PCMCIA card and got 4 "free" ports. It also has a Flash Card Reader, a nice plus for frankenstein.

The mouse is a RF Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser 6000, the RF dongle is attached to one of the USB 1.1 ports on the back of the PB.
The keyboard is the BT version of Apple's keyboards that interacts with a noname USB BlueTooth dongle that worked out-of-the-box with OS X. The BT dongle has to be attached to the PCMCIA card though or it would turn off every once in a while when it was attached directly to the PB. BT also allows iSync to work with my phone. I regularly backup the address book and calendar, plus Salling Clicker works flawlessly.

On the software side, it runs Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, quite well actually.
Firefox 3's lower memory footprint was welcome as it made everyday use much more bearable. Web pages that rely heavily on flash are somewhat painful, YouTube works fine though. Safari seems to run Flash faster so if it is your browser of choice you won't have such a hard time.
Office 2004 runs very well.

Lastly, audio. It's hooked to a 1980's Technics receiver I found in the storage room a couple of years back that still has 2 working inputs and sounds quite nice actually! Speakers are Paradigm Titans.
The mike works even under the table (just tweak the input level on System Preferences > Audio > Input), I use Skype regularly for long distance telephony.

So that's it. It works just fine for general purpose use: word processing, mail, (non-HD) movies, itunes and web browsing (as long as the page doesn't use a lot of Flash objects).
I can even do some gaming on it (provided that the game is old enough, Max Payne, CnC Generals, Ghost Recon, etc, not that I game too much these days anyway). Leopard was helpful in this area since it has a faster OpenGL implementation than Tiger.
It can also handle the occasional Photoshop touch up or iMovie job (that is, if the project is not too long, say 20 minutes or is in fact longer but with only a few effects/transitions/etc).

Since the machine is ... modular, I placed it under the desk (with the help of some Home Depot items). I wired the power adapters so I could easily take out the HDD whenever I need to move something large from another computer via USB.

All this leaves me with a very clean desk and an extremely silent computer that uses much less power than an average desktop PC (I'm affraid the LCD compensates for it though ).

Hope this inspires someone to give new use to 'old' Apple hardware that's still quite capable.

cheers

Pic. 1 - The Guts
Pic. 2 - Under The Desk
Pic. 3 - The End Result
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	44501
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	121068   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	44202
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	121069   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	44712
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	121070  

Last edited by 2112; Jun 24, 2008 at 12:06 AM.
2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
winninganthem
macrumors 6502a

Very cool and resourceful of you
winninganthem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:46 PM   #3
noodle654
macrumors 68000

I'm not gonna lie....that is awesome. I wish I had spare broken mac lying around. I would totally do that. I wish I could have like a bunch of macs for free...too bad
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Radio Monk33
macrumors 6502

That's very cool in a junky sort of way. I'd definitely do something like that if the LCD crapped out on a laptop of mine.

Those TiBooks seem pretty sturdy. My dad is using it as it's been passed through the family. Must be what, 7 years old now? I'm not sure what year the 867mHz is..
Radio Monk33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
crobbins
macrumors 6502

Very different..and cool! kudos on a job well done..
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:06 PM   #6
andrewisnot
macrumors member

Good work! Thanks for sharing. I've been looking at getting the same monitor. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 03:24 PM   #7
KingYaba
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to KingYaba
From the pictures it seems you do not have easy access to that slot loading CD drive. I would have mounted it with the drive facing the person sitting at the desk. Other than that, very cool idea.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Tracer
macrumors 6502

I personally have a PC laptop (lid closed) buried under a 70LB CRT. The disc drive is easy to get at but if the computer goes to sleep, it is a real pain to wake back up.

Nice job with the Ti-Book.

Tracer
Tracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 05:44 PM   #9
amusiccale
macrumors 6502

Pretty neat setup, and it looks like it will let you continue using a fine computer
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:05 AM   #10
bplein
macrumors 6502

Nice job!

We have a broken blackbook that I bought "as is" with a cracked screen and no hard drive. Added a hard drive, and an external monitor. My daughter still likes to flip the lid up to use the iSight though (grin).

I'm probably going to just repair the blackbook because I can get a replacement LCD for under $200.

But I truly like the way you tucked the system out of site. Very cool!
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:17 AM   #11
Soma 115
macrumors regular

Awesome idea! really cool tool. just like a mini
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:13 PM   #12
MattKanzler
macrumors member

ghetto fabulous
250GB@5400rpm

Remote, Wireless Mighty Mouse
8GB iPod Touch
MattKanzler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:56 PM   #13
rychencop
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to rychencop Send a message via Yahoo to rychencop
that's cool! use it until it's dead.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 05:16 PM   #14
robotica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplein View Post
Nice job!

We have a broken blackbook that I bought "as is" with a cracked screen and no hard drive. Added a hard drive, and an external monitor. My daughter still likes to flip the lid up to use the iSight though (grin).

I'm probably going to just repair the blackbook because I can get a replacement LCD for under $200.

But I truly like the way you tucked the system out of site. Very cool!
Yeah fixing the screen is cheap and worth it, did mine for about 100
robotica is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs