Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

021154-itunesaus_400.png

Apple has quietly added television shows for sale on iTunes Australia tonight. iTunes lists five networks with TV shows currently available: ABC Studios, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Disney Channel, Nine Network and MTV. Individual shows are priced at $2.99 per episode. At present, there appear to be 21 different shows represented.

Apple has been slowly rolling out international television and movie sales on iTunes. Movies remain unavailable on iTunes Australia at this time.

An official press release will likely be issued later today.

Article Link

Angsty

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
FINALLY!!!

Now that we have some TV content, looks like there is a reason to consider buying that AppleTV after all.

*grumble* took your time about it! :(

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
That has made me sooo happy. Best day of my life (for the past 2 or so weeks). I am sooo happy!!!!! I actually verbally showed my happiness when I read this.

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
In the last year we've gained:

iPhoto printing
iPhone
Apple Retail Store
iTunes TV shows

Is all that's left iTunes movies?

It's great to see Apple shift their focus from a single market.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It costs to download ABC? :eek: I hope that doesn't mean ABC takes away some of their free downloads.
EDIT: Summer Heights High - I'm sure that's free off ABC.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It costs to download ABC? :eek: I hope that doesn't mean ABC takes away some of their free downloads.
EDIT: Summer Heights High - I'm sure that's free off ABC.

Yeah it's free but in 320x240 podcast resolution. This is the full sized 640x480 H.264 stuff.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Uh...
Nothing much, but in Aus, it was morning when Apple pulled this out. (Right?)
So why does arn say at night? (Agreed its night here in US but, well, isnt it the Australian iTTVS?

caprica

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
sigh .. apple are just reselling free to air stuff and making us pay for it

Now if apple had of released movies and made it competitive with the Big Pond movies or Foxtel, NOW that would be something to write home about

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
sigh .. apple are just reselling free to air stuff and making us pay for it

Now if apple had of released movies and made it competitive with the Big Pond movies or Foxtel, NOW that would be something to write home about

It's a start, now that we have the distribution channel there we'll see networks and shows added each week. All we needed was the start.

It's only free-to-air because of the ads. Take out the ads and you have to charge for the show. With regards to the ABC content yes it's taxpayer funded and generally free to download the quality and accessibility is generally pretty poor - I have no problem paying the amount they're charging for high-quality content that I don't have to rip off a DVD to watch.

jons

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2008
Sounds like good news for everyone. The more markets that are available, the more variety we will see in the content.

doobi18

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
Sydney, Australia
it's nice... but

Although I really can't complain about us finally getting iTunes TV Shows... SCREW THAT – I'm gonna complain.

Firstly, it's pretty much all American content anyway, with all of their Disney & ABC & MTV shows... but I guess it is good to have access to purchasing these with Aussie $$$.

And on that, the naming is just inappropriate for the Australian market. What we call ABC is "Australian Broadcasting Corp." and what is labelled as "ABC Studios" is the American stuff. Not too helpful for the avergage uninformed Aussie punter.

The ABC (Aussie) content offering is also pretty poor. There are only two shows that the general public would actually buy – the two Chris Lilley comedies, plus they are already avaliable (even if poorer quality) on the ABC website and as podcacts.

At least 9 has some popular Aussie content, but then maybe there isn't all that much other than game shows, Big Brother and Kery Anne...

</rant>

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Although I really can't complain about us finally getting iTunes TV Shows... SCREW THAT – I'm gonna complain.

Firstly, it's pretty much all American content anyway, with all of their Disney & ABC & MTV shows... but I guess it is good to have access to purchasing these with Aussie $$$.

And on that, the naming is just inappropriate for the Australian market. What we call ABC is "Australian Broadcasting Corp." and what is labelled as "ABC Studios" is the American stuff. Not too helpful for the avergage uninformed Aussie punter.

The ABC (Aussie) content offering is also pretty poor. There are only two shows that the general public would actually buy – the two Chris Lilley comedies, plus they are already avaliable (even if poorer quality) on the ABC website and as podcacts.

At least 9 has some popular Aussie content, but then maybe there isn't all that much other than game shows, Big Brother and Kery Anne...

</rant>

The only decent Aussie content they could have would be Underbelly - it's been ages (many years) since a show of it's quality (writing, acting and overall storytelling) was made here.

I want all the US content, South Park, Family Guy, Dexter - you know, shows we either have to wait an age for to arrive on free TV or have to put up with paying or really stupid air times (11:30pm for Family Guy? What the f*ck?).

It's about convenience for the US stuff - pity they have to wait till the season of a show (hello Scrubs) has aired in Australia before they'll sell it on the store...

I love how they've put Canal Road on there. Nine must be really annoyed after they couldn't even attract audiences for it directly after Underbelly - it is THAT bad a show.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
great ... more ways for folk to waste time watching garbage( not just Auz tv , all tv !)

I really don't like the telly box :mad: think it's a complete waste of time ...turn off your TV set an go do something more interesting instead ;)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
great ... more ways for folk to waste time watching garbage( not just Auz tv , all tv !)

I really don't like the telly box :mad: think it's a complete waste of time ...turn off your TV set an go do something more interesting instead ;)

I'll turn off my TV...

From my cold, dead hands!!
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.