Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:39 PM   #1
Edot
macrumors 6502

iTunes Song Count?

I looked at the Just Added page on the iTMS and saw that about 2100 albums/songs were uploaded in 4 weeks. Taking about 12 songs average for each listing that totals about 25000 songs per month! They should be at around 435,000 about now. I could easily see them at 1,000,000 by this time next year. I can imagine after the Pepsi promotion, AOL gets going, (and McDonalds? International?) they will see more artists singing up and the rate added per week go up.
Edot is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2003, 10:56 PM   #2
howard
macrumors 68020

i hope they start getting the bigger artists that they are lacking.

(to bad they may never get the beatles)

and also would like artist who refuse to have there songs unless its only downloadable by album get on there...like radiohead and a few others.

if they got all those guys they'd be doing great, and now with the little indies coming in...yay!!
howard is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:13 PM   #3
Edot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by howard
i hope they start getting the bigger artists that they are lacking.

(to bad they may never get the beatles)

and also would like artist who refuse to have there songs unless its only downloadable by album get on there...like radiohead and a few others.

if they got all those guys they'd be doing great, and now with the little indies coming in...yay!!
I understand the artists' argument about the album being part of the music, but that is the point of the music store, and if they let one person do it, everyone would do it to increase sales, and then it would be like the current method of buying CDs. If the artist really wanted it to be one continuous listening experience why did they break it up into tracks in the first place?
Edot is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2003, 08:46 PM   #4
howard
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by Edot
I understand the artists' argument about the album being part of the music, but that is the point of the music store, and if they let one person do it, everyone would do it to increase sales, and then it would be like the current method of buying CDs. If the artist really wanted it to be one continuous listening experience why did they break it up into tracks in the first place?
good point
howard is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:29 AM   #5
oldschool
macrumors 65816

If an album needs to be listened to as a whole, then people will buy the whole album.

If I were to buy a Pink Floyd Album, I wouldn't just buy a single track, for example. If the music is worth it, people will spend the money.
oldschool is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:35 AM   #6
howard
macrumors 68020

its true that it would practically be a sin to buy only half of a pink floyd album. but what i want the most is everything on itunes! and if that means people buying just "comfortable numb" on the wall or just paranoid android on ok computer than fine... but i suppose its they're album and they can choose how they want to give it to you. it would just be nice if everyone flowed along smoothly with technology and stopped trying to fight it.

it would be nice if stevie jobs would let artists decide that if they just want there album downloaded and not individual songs that they can do that. both the artists and jobs have valid points for doing what there doing... but it would be nice if they could work something out
howard is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:29 PM   #7
Gymnut
macrumors 68000

Give me Metallica! But yeah really they are lacking some better known artists.
Gymnut is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:45 PM   #8
uhlawboi80
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to uhlawboi80
oh they will get the beatles..just give it a little time. if you want to speed it along send school buses by michael jacksons house. He keeps settling out of these suits (the civil aspects anyway) and will be BROKE soon forcing him to sell the beatles catalog or more likely turn it over to Sony cause he owes them A$$ loads of money, then sony will toss them at steve like a frisbee
uhlawboi80 is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:53 PM   #9
howard
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
oh they will get the beatles..just give it a little time. if you want to speed it along send school buses by michael jacksons house. He keeps settling out of these suits (the civil aspects anyway) and will be BROKE soon forcing him to sell the beatles catalog or more likely turn it over to Sony cause he owes them A$$ loads of money, then sony will toss them at steve like a frisbee
haha that would be great

its really funny how someone can own someone elses songs...strange

do you know exactly what michael owns and what he doesn't? is it him that gets to decide?

i konw that paul mccartney has been trying to buy back the songs for a long time
howard is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 01:03 PM   #10
oldschool
macrumors 65816

hahaha poor paulie got screwed...and i'm glad...he's a big a**hole

Michael Jackson is much smarter than he leads people to believe.
oldschool is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 04:27 PM   #11
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
that's funny!
also, i just want to say, the beatles aren't on any online music store. they don't want to be. im not sure if jacko could even pout them on iTMS if he wanted to. please correct me if i'm wrong.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 07:12 PM   #12
MattG
macrumors 68040

I have noticed big improvements since it opened. During the first few months, most of the stuff I'd search for wasn't available. Now, pretty much everything I search for is there, or at least partial albums.
MattG is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 08:24 PM   #13
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

i really wish blondie was on the store. i love blondie, but everywhere i see a greatest hits, it's about 12 songs, and it's about 15 dollars. i can't justify that purchase.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 09:37 PM   #14
dukemeiser
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to dukemeiser Send a message via Yahoo to dukemeiser
Quote:
Originally posted by Gymnut
Give me Metallica! But yeah really they are lacking some better known artists.
I think that would have negative affects on the iTMS. I'm actually glad they didn't agree to the store!
dukemeiser is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:03 AM   #15
beefcake
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to beefcake
Quote:
Originally posted by oldschool
hahaha poor paulie got screwed...and i'm glad...he's a big a**hole

Michael Jackson is much smarter than he leads people to believe.
8-year-olds dude, 8-year-olds.
beefcake is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:39 AM   #16
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Edot
If the artist really wanted it to be one continuous listening experience why did they break it up into tracks in the first place?

So people can easily navigate thru the song (same reason DVDs have chapters). If your favorite part of the song was in the middle do you really want to have to remember the time and then fast forward/rewind to get there?

Lethal
LethalWolfe is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:09 AM   #17
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

that and there's an overall feel to an album some artists want. I'm sure if apple just let album only be on, a bunch of people would be on, but that would contradict their whole 99 a song and only buying the songs you want.

if CDs didn't have tracks, how would they release a single to promote the album?
fast forward ahead to 17 minutes and 34 seconds?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:04 AM   #18
billyboy
macrumors 65816

Album only department

Why not accept the album only artists but put them in their own sub section
billyboy is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:52 PM   #19
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Re: Album only department

Quote:
Originally posted by billyboy
Why not accept the album only artists but put them in their own sub section
but that would contradict their whole 99 a song and only buying the songs you want. they won't budge unless a miracle comes along and says,
whoop di dee! i'm a miracle!
Old Dec 11, 2003, 03:42 PM   #20
uhlawboi80
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to uhlawboi80
i agree, if you are so worried about your work being purchased as an album and not just your ONE good single...put out a CD that isnt crap. Too often you get a quick CD cranked out to supposrt an artists one or two good songs. i like not having to get the crap just because i like a single song. That being said, most of my purchases have actually been albums from artists that in my opinion would have to release a CD a month for 5 years to crank out a truely CRAPPY song (Dido, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan.

On another note..i think you are right..the beatles would still have to consent to the songs being sold..sorta (ok, and we may be down to just A beatle soon anyway). But usually the copyright on the music still belongs to the artist and the copyright on a given PERFORMANCE belongs to the studio/label...though often a built in consent is given to the label to release the songs..now, like JLo there is a BIG BUTT..these are permission to sell/distribute on a given album/compilation. The artist would still likely have to consent to the release of the songs individually (unless it was already a single in which case a right has been granted for singular distribution)

ok...sorry, i had my copyright final on monday so the spewing cant be controlled
uhlawboi80 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion