Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
I just got an email from Yahoo! saying my service will be renewed sometime in July, etc. I don't want to renew my domain. The only thing I purchased from Yahoo! is the domain name itself... someone else hosted it for me. Is this what I need to do in order to cancel everything?

P.S. Just wondering... why will my information become public on the WHOIS database after canceling?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The linked page is for canceling a Private Domain Registration, that's why contact information would become visible. I recently left Yahoo myself and found their canceling process a bit confusing in the way they phrase things along the way. If you're moving to a new domain name registrar they'll hide the whois information for you if it's part of their service.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Okay, then how should I go about canceling it? I don't want to move to another place, nor do I want to keep the domain name at all. I just want to get rid of it, basically.

...Actually, I just saw that it says I have Private Domain Registration. I guess this is the route I need to take after all. What information are people going to be able to get from me?

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Okay, then how should I go about canceling it? I don't want to move to another place, nor do I want to keep the domain name at all. I just want to get rid of it, basically.

...Actually, I just saw that it says I have Private Domain Registration. I guess this is the route I need to take after all. What information are people going to be able to get from me?

Once it expires I believe the whois information will return to Yahoo or become blank (not sure how long it will take though) as you won't be the owner and if it list you as the owner that would be incorrect and Yahoo would be at fault for the incorrect information. Non-private registrations though will list physical address, phone number, and admin email as part of the whois.

There's usually a 30 day pending period after an expiration. Depending on the domain name registrar it will update the whois accordingly:

For a-163.com as an example shows:
---------------------
Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Pending Renewal or Deletion pendingrenewalordeletion@networksolutions.com
P.O. Box 430
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
US
570-708-8786
--------------------

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Once it expires I believe the whois information will return to Yahoo or become blank (not sure how long it will take though) as you won't be the owner and if it list you as the owner that would be incorrect and Yahoo would be at fault for the incorrect information. Non-private registrations though will list physical address, phone number, and admin email as part of the whois.

There's usually a 30 day pending period after an expiration. Depending on the domain name registrar it will update the whois accordingly:

For a-163.com as an example shows:
---------------------
Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Pending Renewal or Deletion pendingrenewalordeletion@networksolutions.com
P.O. Box 430
Herndon, VA 20172-0447
US
570-708-8786
--------------------

Sorry, I'm still kind of confused. :eek: My information won't be public because it's a Private Domain Registration? I don't think it'll just expire, though. The email said that they would just recharge me for another year or so since they had my billing information. That's what I got from it at least. This is what it said exactly:

Thanks for using Yahoo! Domains. We're writing to remind you that it's time for the annual autorenewal of your service.

Your Domains plan, associated with the domain [insert name here], will renew on 07/24/2008. If your billing information is up-to-date, there's no need to do a thing (except keep enjoying your service).

Important note: Beginning on July 1, 2008, Yahoo!'s annual domain renewal price increases to $34.95 per year.

You can verify your billing information by visiting https://billing.yahoo.com/ and clicking the Update link next to your plan. Click the gray Edit button to the right of your payment method to review your payment details.

See what I mean? Is this what I ultimately need to do? This is too complicated than it should be and I'm probably making it worse, sorry! I'll probably never go through Yahoo! again.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Right, I wasn't trying to say that doing nothing would result in expiration. Yahoo does auto-renew, which is nice, but you'll have to go through the cancel process that you linked. I went through a similar page and as long as I didn't think too hard about what they were saying it wasn't too bad.

Once you cancel the plan though and the expiration comes up your domain name will go into a pending phase. At that point I believe your whois information will disappear. I couldn't find any documentation to back this up though. I think Yahoo just does a bad job at describing what's going on and hoping you'll stick around to avoid the possible "dangers" they elude to. So in other words, just through their process and keep clicking next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.