Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmjaneiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
Hi to all,

I'm trying to go from PC to Mac, and planning to buy a MacBook Pro!

Since the computer prices are high, and the updates are always happening, I was trying to make an informed decision. That's why I decided to read reviews and opinions from "experts".
I read that Mac is planning in a near future adopt the new Intel Nehalem processors as well as the new ATI graphic cards in their computers. This will be a major improvement in the Mac machines, and great as well to people like me, that need an extra processing capability in their computers.
My questions is, would you think that this near future could be soon (2009)?
I have at the moment a 1.8Ghz Asus A5E that is gradually falling apart, since it as almost 3 years old. It holds ok for some stuff, but starting to get real slow, specially when more computational effort is required.
I thought on going for a refurbished macbook pro at the first, and then upgrade to the new Nehalem, when they are in the market, but really don't know, if it worth the money, or I get a better deal by waiting.
Any thoughts about this?

Thanks

Joao

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
If you need a machine now , get a Macbook ( not much in between it and the MBP cept the graphics really) then when Nehalem comes, buy the MBP if you need it ...

Super Intendo

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
personally I wanted an updated macbook pro last year so I decided to get a macbook while I waited. The macbook just isnt powerfull enough for me so i'm selling it this week and buying a refurb'd MBP (2.5ghz, 512 Graphics, 2GB Ram, probably glossy) and then selling that once they re-design it or release some really significant upgrade.

craigslist + mac = always being up to date :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I bought a mbp and you wouldnt believe how well these things multitask. Granted I should have a mac pro but where I work/live thats not practical yet. Here is an example of an average day for my MBP (the one in my sig)

-Ripping my DVD collection
-Corel Painter X is open and I am working in it.
-Code is compiling in Visual Studio that is running in a virtual windows machine on another monitor
-iTunes is playing
-Maya is also open because every hour or so I switch between maya and painter
-Photoshop is working hard at batch processing gigs of images that I have stored up over my photography years
-Lightroom is also batch processing as well, stuff I never got to yet.
-Logic Express is up and running because when I get bored with maya and painter I hop onto that and play for a bit just for fun.
-Data is constantly being written to one of my 5bay raid enclosures. eSata through express card.

It pulls this off with finesse. And the spaces feature is excellent as my batching, ripping, and compiling is done in a separate space so that its out of my way for when im working in maya or in painter or playing in logic express. Not to mention it would be hard to close by accident.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
to the OP

Nehalem is expected in the Mac Pro at MacWorld '09 at the earliest, and in the more consumer products around WWDC '09

6-12 months is a long time...if you're a switcher, you'll love using a mac during that time, and even when nehalem comes out, you'll still have a top laptop

buy and enjoy:)

phrygiana

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
South Korea
I have it from the street words that the next version of MacBook Pro

will show at about Christmas or later, very unreliable though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.