Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rod davies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
I have a flat panel imac with panther, connected via usb to Xitel Pro hifi link, then via digital coaxial to a Denon Dolby digital Amp. Pre panther the sound output was always stereo with dvd player - so the amp switched to prologic, now with Panther, (dolby digital etc) do ac-3 signals pass through usb? I cant seem to pick up DD signals, the amp resorts to Pro Logic.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Re: dolby digital passthrough on panther imac

Originally posted by rod davies
(dolby digital etc) do ac-3 signals pass through usb?

Yes. I'm not familar with the Xitel, but it may be the one creating the signal restrictions (or your source material is not encoded in Dolby Digital)

rod davies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Re usb ac3

I am certain that i am using DD encoded material, which usb devices are DD pass through capable? should I change my hardware to sonica theatre?

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
What application are you using to play the source material? It may be doing a stereo mixdown before outputing the signal.

(you shouldn't have to get new hardware)

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Maybe try this...

Have you checked the preferences in Panther's DVD Player? I could be wrong, but perhaps your system audio output is set to USB so DVD Player is using the system output through the USB device. If that's the case, it's probably going through to stereo.

Check and see that DVD Player's preference isn't set to "System Sound Output." It should be set to "Digital Out - Xitel blah blah blah..." Since your system sound output is the Xitel, it will send through that with only stereo.

I just checked this, I have an original M-Audio Sonica that is compatible and what I described above happened. I'm not sure if your box is compatible or not, but I would imagine it would work.

Good luck!

cpjakes

rod davies

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for the help,

In DVD player preferences, the only audio output the pop up showing is system sound output, there is no option for dolby digital, - is the xitel not being recognised, or should DD output be there anyway?

Cheers.

Rod.

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
it should show up in the menu in DVD player's preferences. I am having the same difficulty getting it to output through my M-Audio FireWire 410's digital output.

I guess it is the drivers for the hardware that are not yet aware of DVD players new feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.