Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120559-acrobatPro9_110.png

Adobe has announced the availability of Adobe Acrobat 9. According to Adobe's website, new or enhanced features include:

- Capturing web pages as PDF
- Insert video (FLV or H.264) into PDF. Video can be marked up.
- Content management via PDF Portfolio feature
- Professionally designed templates
- 256 bit encryption
- Enhanced review tracker
- Electronic Form importer from Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, or scanned documents
- Ability to check PDF standards compliance

The software is available as a stand-alone product in Standard, Pro, and Extended versions (only the Pro version is Mac compatible), or via Adobe Creative Suite 3.3 (Design Premium and Standard and Web Premium versions), which are available as a $159 upgrade for existing CS3 customers. More details are available via Adobe's site.

Article Link

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I must be reading this wrong. Is it saying you need to pay $160 if you want to upgrade your CS3 to CS3.3? Or is that just to get the Acrobat 9 update only?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Can anyone recommend freeware that does this well?

Yes. Printing splits it into pages, and it looks terrible. Capturing makes a PDF that looks exactly like the website.

Paparazzi captures to PDF, PNG, TIFF, or JPG and is free. It does it as one long page, rather than splitting it into pages.

I haven't used Acrobat for capturing web sites, so I'm not sure how it compares.

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
double you tea eff?!

for those of us that paid over a grand for CS3, we seriously need to pay $160 for an upgrade to ONE of the products instead of getting it as a software update? That's seriously lame.

pepijn

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2008
No Acrobat 9 Pro Trial?

As of 11:00 AM EDT, I was told the official word from Adobe is that "there will be no evaluation download of Acrobat 9 Pro for Macintosh." This after contacting support because only a Windows trial is listed for download on their site. Right. I was advised to purchase the upgrade to 9 and then return it within 30 days to get my money back. Considering I'm looking at 200+ seats to possibly upgrade depending on whether they fixed an ongoing bug with trim box previews that's been there since Acrobat 7, you'd think they'd offer me something better than a $159 deposit trial option. Thanks, Adobe.

On a side note, there is no Pro Extended version for Mac. That honor befalls the Windows platform, because clearly Windows users need an app that crams in more and more functionality unrelated to its main purpose. :rolleyes:

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Standard and Pro Extended are both Windows-only. There is only one version for Mac: Pro.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/systemreqs/
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatproextended/systemreqs/

We lose again.

why would they charge all that money for a point update?

Because the "point update" applies to the entire suite. An entire application (Acrobat) within the suite has been upgraded, not just minor patches. It's like if Apple made a running change to iLife 08 by replacing iMovie 08 with iMovie 09, while keeping the rest the same.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
How about people who bought Creative Suite 3 recently? Are they also going to charge them $159 for the upgrade?

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
for those of us that paid over a grand for CS3, we seriously need to pay $160 for an upgrade to ONE of the products instead of getting it as a software update? That's seriously lame.

Agreed. Plus there are loads of Windows only features. I've been capturing websites in Acrobat Pro for years :confused:

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
That would be pretty ridiculous. But somehow it's something that I would expect from Adobe.

You don't have to "update" your suite. It's "this is what the suite now looks like". If you want the difference between them (ie: Acrobat 9), then you pay $X for the upgrade. Ignoring the rest of the suite, if you wanted to upgrade from Acrobat 8 to 9, you would have to pay for it anyway. If you don't want to upgrade to Acrobat 9, then don't. It's just a running change.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can anyone recommend freeware that does this well?

SafariStand is a great free plugin with some different useful features, one of which is exporting a web page to PDF.

Just right-click on a page and select 'Export to PDF'. You get one long page, very nice.

Saft does it too, but I think that is a paid program.

CoryBoyUSA

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
The CS3.3 Design Premium upgrade ALSO includes Fireworks now, so that and Acrobat 9 together makes it worth the upgrade price, I believe.

Dang it .... in the time it took me to log in to post this, tobyx beat me to it :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
for the longest time, preview enabled us to never need acrobat.

With this update you can add flv and h.264 to pdf's.

Do you think Apple will add this to preview to keep us from using acrobat?

I can see having video in a pdf rather useful.

hmmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.