Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymacrumorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
I'm posting the chat that I had with the at&t agent and this answers few questions that we might have regarding iphone launch, release and purchase

Note: I assume that the at&t agent has given the correct information.

Am surprised to hear a few things different frm what I have read here and other forums.

eg. The activation is done through itunes and not in the store...

Chat InformationThank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Megan J, an AT&T sales representative.
Megan J: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
Me: I have question regarding the purchase of the new Iphone
Me: am currently an at&t subscriber
Megan J: Sure! I'm glad to help!
Me: I have a non iphone plan right now
Me: I have this phone for the past 8 months or so
Me: how do i get the new iphone
Megan J: When the new phone comes out, you'll be able to buy it for either $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB).
Megan J: You activate iPhone in a whole new way-using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address. The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. It's part of activating through iTunes, but if you'd rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that. You will also select an available plan during activation.
Me: but do I have to terminate the existing plan to get the new iphone??
Me: or I'll just have to pay 199$ for the 8GB iphone and I can walk out with the iphone 3G
Megan J: You'll have to get a new plan for the iPhone. They won't work on a regular plan. They have to have data so you'll have to set your plan up on iTunes.
Me: but will I have to pay the early termination fee on the existing plan?
Megan J: But you'll pay $199 for the 8GB 3G iPhone and be able to walk out of the store with that 3G iPhone.
Megan J: No you won't have any termination fee. It's just like changing your plan.
Me: thats fine. You got any news on release time in apple or at&t
Me: stores
Megan J: They will be released on July 11 and available here online, in stores and through Apple. The time depends on when the stores open. I don't know what those times are.
Me: I just have one more question. Right now I have a family plan with 2 phones. Does the person whose name the phones are registered on, has to be there to get the iphone?
Megan J: No. But you'll add $30 to the family plan.
Me: Its currently registered on my frd's name. Can I alone purchase it on july 11..
Megan J: You can, yes. You won't be setting up your plan in the store. You'll activate the phone on iTunes.
Megan J: Then you'll have him have it added to the family plan.
Me: that sounds great. I'll just have to purchase the phone and do the rest on my itunes right?
Me: also it the iphone available in all at&t stores?
Megan J: Yes it will be.

iPaul

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
I'm posting the chat that I had with the at&t agent and this answers few questions that we might have regarding iphone launch, release and purchase

Note: I assume that the at&t agent has given the correct information.

Am surprised to hear a few things different frm what I have read here and other forums.

eg. The activation is done through itunes and not in the store...

Chat InformationThank you for your patience! An AT&T sales representative will be with you shortly.
Chat InformationYou are now chatting with Megan J, an AT&T sales representative.
Megan J: Welcome to AT&T online Sales support. How may I assist you with placing your order today?
Me: I have question regarding the purchase of the new Iphone
Me: am currently an at&t subscriber
Megan J: Sure! I'm glad to help!
Me: I have a non iphone plan right now
Me: I have this phone for the past 8 months or so
Me: how do i get the new iphone
Megan J: When the new phone comes out, you'll be able to buy it for either $199 (8GB) or $299 (16GB).
Megan J: You activate iPhone in a whole new way-using iTunes right on your computer. All you need is a PC or Mac, a credit card or debit card, access to the Internet and an email address. The credit approval for your AT&T service also happens on your computer. It's part of activating through iTunes, but if you'd rather have your credit pre-approved before you leave the store, an AT&T store representative can help you with that. You will also select an available plan during activation.
Me: but do I have to terminate the existing plan to get the new iphone??
Me: or I'll just have to pay 199$ for the 8GB iphone and I can walk out with the iphone 3G
Megan J: You'll have to get a new plan for the iPhone. They won't work on a regular plan. They have to have data so you'll have to set your plan up on iTunes.
Me: but will I have to pay the early termination fee on the existing plan?
Megan J: But you'll pay $199 for the 8GB 3G iPhone and be able to walk out of the store with that 3G iPhone.
Megan J: No you won't have any termination fee. It's just like changing your plan.
Me: thats fine. You got any news on release time in apple or at&t
Me: stores
Megan J: They will be released on July 11 and available here online, in stores and through Apple. The time depends on when the stores open. I don't know what those times are.
Me: I just have one more question. Right now I have a family plan with 2 phones. Does the person whose name the phones are registered on, has to be there to get the iphone?
Megan J: No. But you'll add $30 to the family plan.
Me: Its currently registered on my frd's name. Can I alone purchase it on july 11..
Megan J: You can, yes. You won't be setting up your plan in the store. You'll activate the phone on iTunes.
Megan J: Then you'll have him have it added to the family plan.
Me: that sounds great. I'll just have to purchase the phone and do the rest on my itunes right?
Me: also it the iphone available in all at&t stores?
Megan J: Yes it will be.

This is the info from the first iPhone release. It's quite apparent that she pulled it from prewritten text.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
I'm thinking that if you already have a plan/contract with AT&T then you will be able to activate via iTunes, but for those of us who do not have a contract with AT&T yet, it'll have to be done in store.

But there's also the idea of they just scan your serial number from the box, attach it to a contract or something, and you do the rest at home. Who knows, just a few more days... :)

2002cbr600f4i

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2008
I can tell you point blank, LOTS of that is incorrect info. The sales people are as much in the dark right now as we are. I had an online chat with a sales rep and got VERY conflicting info. They referred me to info that was obviously for the 1st gen, and then other stuff for the 3G model.

I hate to say it, but we're oging to have to wait another 2 weeks and then see what reality is... and be prepared for a LOT of confusion by the sales people on release day!

mymacrumorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
What if they are following the same process as the previous iphone...

Also is there are possibility of the phones getting sold out... am not sure what happened last time around

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
No home activation

Its pretty clear that we will not be able to activate it any place other than at an att or apple store, unless they change their mind. Long lines are probably a good thing for apple, makes a better story and more attention. No one is going to walk away and never buy an iphone, they will just wait.

Im just hoping there is enough stock left the next day.

"I let my fists to the fisting" - Gob Bluth.

protekt0r

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Well, the phone isn't available in all AT&T stores...

That depends on your definition of "AT&T Store." AT&T, like all other carriers, have an "agent" system, meaning a private business can sell/resell AT&T service and phones. Some businesses chose to exclusively sell AT&T service and are able to use the standard AT&T logos for their store fronts. These "agents" of AT&T are not allowed to sell iPhones and are technically not AT&T stores since they're privately owned. It's like walking into a Wal-Mart to buy a cell phone... Wal-Mart simply sells the service and phone.

To make things muddier, AT&T Corporate Owned Retailers (CORE, or Corporate) ARE allowed to sell iPhones because they are wholly owned by AT&T. The best way to know if you're dealing with an Agent or a CORE store is to look at the store front logos. Agents will say "Authorized Agent" below the AT&T sign. Or... you can just ask the sales person.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Every AT&T rep says a different thing. Just search through these forums and you'll find conflicting reports - "AT&T rep said sales start at 8am!" "AT&T rep said sales start at 6pm!" "Text messages are included!" "Text messages aren't included!" "In-store activiation only!"

We're not going to know anything concrete until right before the launch.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The reason you get different answers from different reps is because they know just as much, if not less, then you do. I wish people would stop posting their CSR chat sessions on here as the gospil- cause its not. We will have to wait to see how some of this is going to work and might not even know till the day before the launch.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
The reason you get different answers from different reps is because they know just as much, if not less, then you do. I wish people would stop posting their CSR chat sessions on here as the gospil- cause its not. We will have to wait to see how some of this is going to work and might not even know till the day before the launch.

finally someone who sees the light

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This is the info from the first iPhone release. It's quite apparent that she pulled it from prewritten text.

That was my first thought too.. But then she referenced the new phone... and pricing..

I still think you are right. She mixed and matched the two. It is unlikely she has a script for the new iPhone in regards to activation, so she pulled the old one.

iStefmac

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008

Wrong, its because it hasnt and is not going to change.

Rumors..........bleh, they ruin young minds like yours

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
This is obviously a pre-written FAQ for ATT ppl, a badly updated one.

Megan J: You activate iPhone in a whole new way-using iTunes right on your computer.

A whole new way? Erhm, they've been doing it since launch of iphone 1...for about a year now...

mymacrumorse

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
What ever the fact that is there in this conversation...

The only thing am concerned abt is the early termination stuff..

I hope what the rep told abt that is true...

"Its just like change the plan and I don have to pay any termination fee"

I don want to pay more that 199$ to buy the phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.