Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
I want to use photoshop (CS3) to create a graphic for my iphoto book of my trip to hawaii. I was thinking of creating a graphic to separate the book in terms of islands we visited. I was thinking of having like Maui in a boldish text and then fill it with a photo/texture of hibiscus flowers. How would i go about tackling this project?
Thanks,
Josh

edit to clarify i want to take text and fill it will a picture how would i go about this?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i found the answer to my own question:
Fill type with an image

You can fill type with an image by applying a clipping mask to an image layer placed above a text layer in the Layers palette.

Open the file containing the image you want to use inside the text.
Select the Horizontal Type tool or the Vertical Type tool in the toolbox.
Click the Character tab to bring the Character palette to the front or, if the palette isn’t open, choose Window > Character.
In the Character palette, select the font and other type attributes for the text. Large, bold, thick letters work best.
Click an insertion point in the document window and type the desired text. When you are satisfied with the text, press Ctrl+Enter (Windows) or Command+Return (Mac OS).
Click the Layers tab to bring the Layers palette to the front or, if the palette isn’t open, choose Windows > Layers.
(Optional) If the image layer is the background layer, double-click the image layer in the Layers palette to convert it from a background layer into a regular layer.
Note: Background layers are locked and prevent you from moving them in the Layers palette. It’s necessary to convert background layers to regular layers to unlock them.
(Optional) In the New Layer dialog box, you can rename the layer. Click OK to close the dialog box and convert the image layer.
In the Layers palette, drag the image layer so that it is immediately above the text layer.
With the image layer selected, choose Layer > Create Clipping Mask. The image appears inside the text.
Select the Move tool , and then drag the image to adjust its placement within the text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.