Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:58 PM   #1
paisios
macrumors member

.dst file format creation

HI everyone,

I've got a new potential client who would like me to convert my .ai files to .dst files. This format is for embroidery machines. I've heard that it is typically PC based and requires some learning curve once you get an application that can create these files.

Does anyone have experience with this? Could you give me some advice?

I'd like to land this account, and while there is more to it than these .dst files, I'd like to get that work from them as well.

I'm curious as to what programs are available (any for mac?) as well as any tips or tricks and advice if you've done this sort of work before.

I'm a graphic designer with many years experience, but this sort of production work I am unfamiliar with. I've sent vector files to embroidery joint, but I was unaware that they were converting those files to another format. I've heard that you have to re-draw and then specify things like number of stitches, understitching and things like that.

Please Help!!!

THanks,
Paisios
paisios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:16 PM   #2
paisios
macrumors member

I've got a friend looking into this. He works for a company that does embroidery as well as other premium stuff for different companies.

I'll post what I find out.

From what I've been able to find on the web....Maybe I'm better off sending out my vector files and just building that into the cost...
paisios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:16 AM   #3
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

ANYONE find a way to do this yet?

I would like to convert some images to DST for embroidery too. I have my mac guru's at the marketing dept looking into it, but they have not gotten back to me yet. I did find this program but it is windows only!
Anywho, seems that this is a complicated conversion and was wondering if anyone had experience and could do this for me on the cheap?
stubeeef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

Could also use a program that would convert to the following embroidery file types. Tajima, Melco, or Barudan.

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Software exists for PC.

http://www.drawstitch.com/Overview.htm

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:15 PM   #6
stubeeef
macrumors 68030

I think for $1800 I will just free hand sew it myself!

Thanks though.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:38 PM   #7
marndt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef View Post
Could also use a program that would convert to the following embroidery file types. Tajima, Melco, or Barudan.
StitchBuddy can convert several embroidery formats to Melco EXP and Tajima DST, but punching a design based on a graphic is much beyond its capabilities ...
marndt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:27 PM   #8
marndt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisios View Post
I'm curious as to what programs are available (any for mac?) as well as any tips or tricks and advice if you've done this sort of work before.
Never tried it myself: There's an export plugin for Inkscape, which converts a vectorized graphic into an EXP embroidery file. The pics on the website mentioned above are looking promising. Converting EXP to DST can be easily done, e. g. with StitchBuddy even in demo mode, or (sorry, guys) in Windows / WINE with Wilcom Truesizer, Pulse Ambassador, Wings MyEditor, ...

Mattes
marndt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics