Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenjackson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
hey there,
i was wondering if anyone knows exactly what kind/make/model# of hard drive i need to replace the HD in a white ibook g4.
do i need specific info etc?
is it the ATA?
if so which one?
im looking for a 80 gig replacement HD.
im going to do the operation myself!
thanks for any replys
Sven

mekkon

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2004
hey there,
i was wondering if anyone knows exactly what kind/make/model# of hard drive i need to replace the HD in a white ibook g4.
is it the ATA?
if so which one?
thanks for any replys
Sven

You can do any 2.5" hard drive, as long as it is NOT a SATA (serial ata) drive. What you want are drives generally called IDE, EIDE, or PATA drives. The best deal I've found for one in the states is for $60 shipped, and that'll get you a 160gb 5400rpm drive from Newegg.com. I've yet to see 80gb drives much cheaper.

I hope this helps - I'm in the same boat as you - replacing a hard drive on a 12" G4 iBook very soon.

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
hey there,
is it the ATA?
if so which one?
thanks for any replys
Sven

i installed one of these in my 12" G4 1.2mHz 1.25gb RAM iBook about 6 weeks ago:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129

It's fast, cool, quiet, and I was surprised that battery life increased by ~20% over the 20gb OEM Hitachi drive, to ~4 hours.

ruskiwi

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Nelson, NZ
I always use OWC for upgrades of any kind, done a number of HDs in various Macs. Their prices are competitive and service is out of this world! Why pay $60 for 80Gb when you can pay $68 for 120GB?

You can look up an upgrade, for example HD, by specific Mac model and be sure you're getting the right thing for your Mac.
Here's a link to a page on their site that will let you choose your iBook model and look for upgrades:
OWC iBook upgrades

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.