Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegan TJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
ok i was at work at someone bumped into me and she had like 4 glasses of water and it got all over me and my iphone..i turned my iphone off but then the apple kept popping up like when you turn it on but then it will just off imediately .. and it kept doing this for like an hour then i went home and pluged it in and it worked fine BUT only when connected to the computer if i unplug it .. it goes back to the apple turning on and off. and the power button doesnt work at all it wont put it to sleep or it wont shut it off..any suggestions ... i called apple and they said if i go to an apple store i could switch it with a new one but i thought it wasnt under warrenty if i got it wet ?

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
Sounds like the battery got shorted out. Or did something tot he battery. Idk what you can do other than possibly allow it to dry out further or bring it into Apple and not tell them it got wet??? - That's if you want to avoid paying for it. or you could go after the person who bumped into you! :p

morninghater5

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
water sensor

the thing is dude is that there is a small white sticker in the headphone jack in the bottom and when your phone gets wet half of it turns pink. take a flash light and look into the jack. if its pink the probably not going to replace it. if not they might. this thread here from another forum tells how to fix the sticker.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109187

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Dood my 1st gen was catapulted into the toilet months ago. It had a rubber case on it, which I think saved it. But none the less it was completely submerged in the kamode. All day it fluttered with error messages and the volume kept going up and down. I left it in a ziplock bag full of white rice over-night and the next day it worked fine. I kept it in the bag of rice at night and still charged it while in the bag, for like a week every night. It ended up working fine. Might wanna try it.

morninghater5

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
jsquared, that's what my parents said to do so my phone is sitting on a window sill in a bag of rice like you said after it got a little wet in my pocket yesterday when i got caught in the rain on my bike. now it won't start :(
i'm gonna let it sit in the bag for a little longer and see what happens. i'll update on whether it works or not.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I know exactly what you are going through.

You need to let the phone dry and it will work like new.

To help it dry you can plug it in and leave it plugged in and run an application that would generate quite a bit of heat to help dry out the phone.

Once the phone is dry it will stop powering on and immediately turns off and powering on and turning off.

Brittany1989

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2009
I accedently had in pocket of jeans and put in washer

Hey, i need help with a little situation i'm in. I wasn't thinking and put my jeans in the washer and my iPhone was in it also. I didn't remember where i put my phone until 20 minutes later. I have it in a sack of white rice right now. But this is the second time it has happend and like i see cracks on the screen. What do i do? :(

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hey, i need help with a little situation i'm in. I wasn't thinking and put my jeans in the washer and my iPhone was in it also. I didn't remember where i put my phone until 20 minutes later. I have it in a sack of white rice right now. But this is the second time it has happend and like i see cracks on the screen. What do i do? :(
If you see cracks, it looks as if the washer banged it up quite a bit. I think that phone is pretty much done for :(

You can try to take it into Apple, and have them replace the glass for $199, but I am not sure if they still check for water damage after that.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I know exactly what you are going through.

You need to let the phone dry and it will work like new.

To help it dry you can plug it in and leave it plugged in and run an application that would generate quite a bit of heat to help dry out the phone.

Once the phone is dry it will stop powering on and immediately turns off and powering on and turning off.

No, you don't wanna turn it on or have it plugged in. That can cause something to get shorted out.

Just put it in a bag of rice for at least 24 hours and DON'T turn it on during that time. The rice will absorb all the moisture.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
<Sigh> Always instantly turn off any electronic device in case of a water spill and DONT turn it on until you're 110% positively sure that its completely dry from the inside. You usually drown the device in a sack of rice to soak off all the water.

You might've saved the battery if you followed this rather than trying to switch it on for an hour!

Shorted battery, get the battery replaced. If you take it to Apple they'll straight charge you $200 and hand you a new phone!

Brittany1989

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2009
The iphone just shows like these little lines inside the screen. Idk how to explain but its these zig zag lines, its not cracked i dont think. =(

shariROCKS.com

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
I am nursing back a wet iphone too

My iphone was knocked out of my hand by my dogs rushing past me to go outside. The iPhone took a dive into our backyard pond. I immediately texted a friend after getting it out...then called my husband..who said turn it off and but it i uncooked rice. Which I did. I left it in a container of uncooked rice all night. After about 12 hours, I turned the iPhone so that it would be sitting upright. I waited another 8 hours and plugged it into its power source for charging. Since in the power source-it turned itself on, is receiving phone calls, and text messages. (OF COURSE, I want to play and get on my iPHONE immediately) I am a little nervous now because the "this accessory doesn't work" is coming on. It keeps asking me to put it in airplane mode, I push no and it keeps charging. I have had it charging now for 28 minutes. Which is a lot longer than it normally takes my iPhone to fully charge from dead.
Debating if I should put it back into the rice and shut it off..or try to sync it with my iMac. I really just want my iPhone back. I have had it for over 2 years and love it...

MacSTi

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
If it is an iPhone 3G or 3Gs, you are pretty much out of luck no matter what you do. Even though you may think you have outsmarted apple, you haven't. All of the 3G's and 3Gs's have multiple water sensors(headphone jack, dock connector and 3 inside. When they go to replace the screen, it is readily visible to them and they will void your warranty out. Good luck...

Oktyabr

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
I read this somewhere else after our 12 year old got his completely soaked in a swimming pool this last summer. It sat for a couple of WEEKS with water in it and this still worked:

Didn't want to take it apart although the original tip suggested partial dismantling. We could have pulled the sim card but didn't.

Put in it a plastic bowl (with a lid) and covered it in 70% Isopropal alchohol (rubbing alchohol, available at any drug store... look for 70% or higher concentration!) WARNING: This stuff WILL burn and the vapors are quite strong! Do NOT smoke or use near an open flame!!! Make sure the lid seals tightly.

Shake gently, like a hand held washing machine. You want the alchohol to not only fill any voids in the phone but to clean them too.

Leave in the alchohol for at least 24 hours giving it a good one or two minute shake at least three or four times over the duration.

Remove the phone, gently towel dry, shake the phone wrapped in the towel to get any large quantities of the liquid out.

Leave to dry some place... errr... dry. A sunny windowsill worked well in our case. Leave it for at least 48 hours. If you can still see liquid or smell the alchohol after 48 hours leave it to dry for at least another 24. Flip it over once a day or so.

Our phone sat in alchohol for almost 48 hours and dried for three days before we tried plugging it in. It works PERFECTLY! The screen DOES have some light blotches that can be seen but they don't obscure the image at all and are hardly noticable when in use. We are hoping that they go away over time and if they don't well, living with them is still better than shelling out $200.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Put in it a plastic bowl (with a lid) and covered it in 70% Isopropal alchohol (rubbing alchohol, available at any drug store... look for 70% or higher concentration!) WARNING: This stuff WILL burn and the vapors are quite strong! Do NOT smoke or use near an open flame!!! Make sure the lid seals tightly.

Seek out the higher percentage, I believe it is like 93%.

Remember if it is 70% alcohol, it's probably 30% water. ( Actually it's a combination of .... acetone, denatonium benzoate, methyl isobutyl ketone, purified water )

My son uses the higher percentage stuff often for cleaning electronics, it does a good job.

Lpcroce

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2010
This Happened to me yesterday.

My phone slipped out of my hand and into a cup of water. I dried it with a towel, blow dried it for 15 minutes then put it in a tupperware container with rice covering it overnight. I turned it on this morning and it works fine. even the speakers sound the same.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
My phone slipped out of my hand and into a cup of water. I dried it with a towel, blow dried it for 15 minutes then put it in a tupperware container with rice covering it overnight. I turned it on this morning and it works fine. even the speakers sound the same.

Congrats! You're maybe the 0.05% of people whose iPhone actually works after the infamous "dip" in any sort of liquid. Perhaps your phone's plastic was replaced with polycarbonate bi-weave (or whatever they call it in Batman) at some point of it's life?

I have yet to experience this time of my phone ownership, but I wouldn't put it past me to end up scouring the message boards for some quick fixes.

ibeam

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
I read this somewhere else after our 12 year old got his completely soaked in a swimming pool this last summer. It sat for a couple of WEEKS with water in it and this still worked:

Didn't want to take it apart although the original tip suggested partial dismantling. We could have pulled the sim card but didn't.

Shake gently, like a hand held washing machine. You want the alchohol to not only fill any voids in the phone but to clean them too.

Leave in the alchohol for at least 24 hours giving it a good one or two minute shake at least three or four times over the duration.

Remove the phone, gently towel dry, shake the phone wrapped in the towel to get any large quantities of the liquid out.

Leave to dry some place... errr... dry. A sunny windowsill worked well in our case. Leave it for at least 48 hours. If you can still see liquid or smell the alchohol after 48 hours leave it to dry for at least another 24. Flip it over once a day or so.

Our phone sat in alchohol for almost 48 hours and dried for three days before we tried plugging it in. It works PERFECTLY! The screen DOES have some light blotches that can be seen but they don't obscure the image at all and are hardly noticable when in use. We are hoping that they go away over time and if they don't well, living with them is still better than shelling out $200.

THANKS! This totally works. I accidentally washed my iPhone 3GS. It was only in the machine for about 5 minutes but that was long enough for it to be completely dead. A couple days later I found this post so I tried it. I was only able to find 91% at CVS. I bought the large bottle. I filled up the tupperware and let it sit over night shaking and tilting to make sure all the air bubbles were out. The next day i drained it and dumped the alcohol and repeated with fresh alcohol. I figured that since I didn't have 93% I would dissolve as much water as I could with the first dose and the rest with the second.

After another 24 hours I drained it and placed the phone in a window sill for 24 hours. I then tried to start it up. I could tell that it was trying to start but nothing showed on the screen. I put it back in the window sill for another 12 hours and then to my amazement it started up with full display and was asking for iTunes. I've got to thank you for saving my phone. You the man...or Ma'am.

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2010
Congrats! You're maybe the 0.05% of people whose iPhone actually works after the infamous "dip" in any sort of liquid. Perhaps your phone's plastic was replaced with polycarbonate bi-weave (or whatever they call it in Batman) at some point of it's life?

I have yet to experience this time of my phone ownership, but I wouldn't put it past me to end up scouring the message boards for some quick fixes.

hey man, I'm sorry you had bad luck, but since everyone else's phone and mine worked after drying it out, I bet you just never dried it, or more likely, read this and assumed you knew what you where talking about without ever having the experience.
that said, allow me to share mine.
My battery died on the way up to my spot by the river, and was reading Sidhartha to my girlfriend, when I went to go jump in I noticed it wasn't in my pocket anymore! OH NO!!! well, I jumped in after it, and have no idea how long it had been at the bottom. (less than 30 mins, more than 1). well i didn't want to run home right away, so I set it out to dry, left it in rice over night when I got home, and blowdried it inside a diaper this morning (for the dessicant ;) and it was acting really funky when I plugged it in, it turned right on, instead of charging first, and said emergency calls only, and said to connect to itunes, (Showing full battery meter too) and when I unplugged it, it turned right off. well I connected it to the computer, and it charged and runs perfectly completely like new (except for the pink dot on the bottom where I charge it).

It is even running on t-mobile again, and everything is like it was, except cydia gives me a message saying it doesn't know what version it is running under and my facebook app closes instead of opens. but, I kind of was expecting something like that because this is the first time since recieving my insurance replacement that my battery has run out, and I have been kindof expecting that I will need a tethered boot with spirit, because it came already updated to 3.1.3 and 5.12.01, 3gs with the new bootrom.
Well, let me change that, the battery hasn't charged well yet, I'll change the post later if there are problems.

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
My iphone was knocked out of my hand by my dogs rushing past me to go outside. The iPhone took a dive into our backyard pond. I immediately texted a friend after getting it out...then called my husband..who said turn it off and but it i uncooked rice. Which I did. I left it in a container of uncooked rice all night. After about 12 hours, I turned the iPhone so that it would be sitting upright. I waited another 8 hours and plugged it into its power source for charging. Since in the power source-it turned itself on, is receiving phone calls, and text messages. (OF COURSE, I want to play and get on my iPHONE immediately) I am a little nervous now because the "this accessory doesn't work" is coming on. It keeps asking me to put it in airplane mode, I push no and it keeps charging. I have had it charging now for 28 minutes. Which is a lot longer than it normally takes my iPhone to fully charge from dead.
Debating if I should put it back into the rice and shut it off..or try to sync it with my iMac. I really just want my iPhone back. I have had it for over 2 years and love it...

The "accesorry not made for this iPhone" screen more than likely means that the water has caused corrosion on the 30 pin dock. And there really is no fix for that, other than a new phone. if the corrosion is small enough you can take a cue tip and put VERY LITTLE rubbing alcohol on it and GENTLY rub it against the connector. emphasis on the very little and gently. xD But chances are you need a new phone.

alliea247

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
apple replaced phone

For anyone whose iphone has gotten wet, please read. I stuck my iphone4 in a cup holder in my car that had water in it and it got fried. It still worked for about a half hour then powered off. No amount of time in a bag of rice helped my phone and it didn't even get fully submerged. I took my phone to the Apple Store and they graciously replaced it with just a few questions. Just another reason to own an Apple product. You just can't beat their customer service.

Boereman

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2011
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
My IP4 went for a good wash in the washing machine while on and only realized when i went to go dry my pants.

I had the same prob with it going on and then just restarting.

All I did was dry it out without the cover on for 4 days and replaced the battery.

As good as new.

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
Amazon's Squaretrade warranty covers dunks, drops and broken screens. You might want to pick that up with your next phone. Beats the heck outta applecare (it's wet? outta luck. Dropped it? you lose. Sat on the screen? We have an evil genius laugh for you, Muhaha)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.