Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
I really want to get my app in the store on launch day but I still have some work to do...anyone else in the same boat?

(I'm directing this at accepted iPhone devs who actually are able to distribute their apps.)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
SO YOUR THE LUCKY GUY THEY APPROVED!!! :D :p :D

Nice to meet you... and congrats!

Sorry it must be those sour grapes I ate earlier today coming back up on me... :)

Dave

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
I wouldn't exactly say that I'm racing to get mine done, but I'm definitely working toward having something submitted before the actual launch of the App Store. However, I'm not planning on charging anything at the moment. The stuff that I'm working on is for me more than anyone else, so being early to the store won't really make a difference. More than anything, the stuff I'm making is stuff that will help me out at work. It's not exactly niche stuff, but other people may not find a use for it. I do have one project that I think I might be able to charge a little for, but it probably won't be ready to submit before the App Store launches.....that, and someone else will probably do it better and already has it ready to go.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Just to add some polish, finish up the icon, and submit now. The "polish" includes quite a few things yet, though.

I figure I gotta leave some features for updates. :p

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I have some quick little useful apps in mind that I want to put on the iphone... but I'll need core data. So it really depends on Apple for me :p

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I have some quick little useful apps in mind that I want to put on the iphone... but I'll need core data. So it really depends on Apple for me :p

Core Data is probably too much overhead for such a small/lightweight device and is why they have not implemented it yet or at all.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 22, 2005
Core Data is probably too much overhead for such a small/lightweight device and is why they have not implemented it yet or at all.

Exactly, not to mention that Core Data is nothing but some sugar on top of SQLite, which is included in the SDK.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I too wish they'd find a way to make Core Data work on the iPhone. Yes, you can do without it, but I think it'll be painful for many, taking that big step backward. Being able to switch off between XML and SQLite without rewriting code is a huge productivity boost for developers, as is the ability to easily migrate database versions without rebuilding the whole thing. I think the single-threaded restriction severely limits or makes impossible some applications as well.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I know they probably can't... I just need to get around to learning the hard way to save files which I haven't found the secret to yet. Core data is just so nice and easy :D

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
I know that I've been posting this a lot lately, but NSKeyedArchivers and NSKeyedUnarchivers are what I've been using, and they're soooooooo easy!

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
What single-threaded restriction?

I'm using NSOperation in my app...

The restriction where its a phone with a relatively (as in desktop) slow processor and only one of them. What good is multi-threading going to do you with a single core?

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
The restriction where its a phone with a relatively (as in desktop) slow processor and only one of them. What good is multi-threading going to do you with a single core?

A single processor doesn't limit you to a single thread! Multi-threading on a single processor is useful for keeping an application responsive while performing a lengthy and synchronous action.

Sure, it would be nice if the iPhone was multi-core, but being single-core certainly isn't something that "severely limits or makes impossible" anything, so I suspect that HiRez was under the impression that iPhone apps were limited to a single thread.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
A single processor doesn't limit you to a single thread! Multi-threading on a single processor is useful for keeping an application responsive while performing a lengthy and synchronous action.

Sure, it would be nice if the iPhone was multi-core, but being single-core certainly isn't something that "severely limits or makes impossible" anything, so I suspect that HiRez was under the impression that iPhone apps were limited to a single thread.

Well yeah, but its not like you're going to get any performance improvements by using more than one thread. Sure it's still useful for not halting the event loop.

Other than that, I don't see anything in the iPhone SDK Agreement prohibiting anything to do with threading so you're good to go.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
You're right, I was under that impression. I swear I read that as one of the restrictions, though maybe I just extended "no background processes" in my mind. Well that's a relief :) . I have an audio processing app that requires multiple threads. Now if they could just expose more of the Core Audio API...

jdog82

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
to admanimal and other approved dudes...

I really want to get my app in the store on launch day but I still have some work to do...anyone else in the same boat?

(I'm directing this at accepted iPhone devs who actually are able to distribute their apps.)

How long after you submit through I.C. does it take for apple to approve the app for the app store? I wont be ready with my game until a few days before the launch. At first I was like cool I have time but the more I think about it Im not sure. I mean what if I submit the app and it takes apple a long time to give it a look over and the thumbs up?

Duke Leto

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2008
I would be in a race, but I cant do much. I do not have an iPhone and have not been accepted yet, so I can not work with encryption. I will get an iPhone when the person asking me to do this trades his out for a 3G, so I really have no choice (by the time I can test, it would have been released) but to try to do it by school comes around. What I am doing instead is making a simple game that will be open-source just to get a product out there. This would be my first Cocoa app, so I would be satisfied just to get it working.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Knowledge of a little computer history would help with your perspective. Multi-threading used to be used extensively on fast internet server computers back when fast internet servers ran at less that 20 MHz. You iPhone is far more powerful than a room full of those servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.