Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Bought a new MacBook for my daughter and we're giving an iBookG4 to my wife so she can start to experience Mac and get weaned away from the last PC in the house - yippee !!

So - I want to scrub the iBook and start from scratch. I have the install disc, and have backed up all the old data.

Now what ?? How do I scrub this puppy and start over as if it were a brand new machine?

Can't seem to find these instructions on MacRumors or Apple.com -

hood

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
What version of OSX will you be putting on the iBook? I know that if it is Tiger or Leopard will give options for install that will erase and install the new OS. This should be the solution.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is pretty straightforward. Here's what you need to do:
  1. Boot the Mac from the install disc
  2. Select "Erase and Install" as the installation type
  3. Wait for the install to complete, the Mac to reboot, and the intro screen to come up
  4. Turn off the Mac at this point - do NOT complete the intro screen

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
Hood - I'm going with Tiger. Too cheap to spring for new OS discs.

Tennismanclay - sweet. I knew it would be simple. Any idea how much time I should allow?

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
This is pretty straightforward. Here's what you need to do:
  1. Boot the Mac from the install disc
  2. Select "Erase and Install" as the installation type
  3. Wait for the install to complete, the Mac to reboot, and the intro screen to come up
  4. Turn off the Mac at this point - do NOT complete the intro screen

OK _ Explain the #4 to me. Sounds ominous.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
OK _ Explain the #4 to me. Sounds ominous.
Not ominous at all. All you're doing is allowing the Mac's new owner to go through the out-of-box experience and get it set up to their liking. If you don't do this, they'll have to go through some annoying steps to get their short user name and other settings set the way they want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.