Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I've been trying to monkey around with automator to make this work, but I may be making things harder on myself than I need to. What I'm looking to to is create a folder where I can dump a bunch of .tiff files into, the folder will convert each .tiff file into a .pfd file with the same name (i.e. not merge all of the images into one giant .pdf file) and delete the old .tiff files. Essentially create a virtual bin that batch-converts those files for me. I'm thinking this should be a pretty easy task, but I'm struggling a bit and would appreciate any help you could pass on.

I was also wondering if any of you know of a way to take a multi page pdf and be able to manually divide it up into several separate .pdf documents by selecting the various pages you want? I've been duplicating the whole document and then deleting pages, but I have to think there's a better way to do this in preview. Could I use the automator action of converting multiple images into a single .pdf to do this? Thanks in advance for your help.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
I once wrote an Applescript that converts all image files dropped on it into PDF documents. It's attached below.

As for your other request... Automator has the action "PDF to images" which splits each page of a PDF file into a separate PDF file.

Attachments

• ImagesToPDFs.zip
    25 KB · Views: 1,905
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 376

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I once wrote an Applescript that converts all image files dropped on it into PDF documents. It's attached below.

As for your other request... Automator has the action "PDF to images" which splits each page of a PDF file into a separate PDF file.

Dude, you're awesome. Thanks so much for your help.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
The test image I used worked perfectly, but now that I'm back at work I realize that the script won't work for multiple-page images. Is there any way you can post the code so we can tweak it to work for multiple-page images?

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Just drag and drop "ImagesToPDFs.app" onto "Script Editor.app" to see the code.

What do you mean by "multiple-page images"? Do you mean a animated gif?

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Our office copier/fax RICOH behemoth saves all incoming faxes as .tiff files. Apparently there is no way to change the default settings to save as .pdf's so when we get multipage documents they are saved as a single .tiff file with multiple pages. When I run the script on these it generates a .pdf from the first page of the document and the rest is lost. Thanks again for your help.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Our office copier/fax RICOH behemoth saves all incoming faxes as .tiff files. Apparently there is no way to change the default settings to save as .pdf's so when we get multipage documents they are saved as a single .tiff file with multiple pages. When I run the script on these it generates a .pdf from the first page of the document and the rest is lost. Thanks again for your help.
The CUPS convert utility does not seem to be able to handle multi-page tiff files.
There does not seem to be a workaround...

paulteini

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
pdf printer

Is there any way to have the pdf printer (used within the script file) convert the image to a pdf with the original image dimensions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.