Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aka.gus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Ok. I made a few quick searches, and couldn't really find anything that answered my question, so sorry if a similar thread already exists.

Like many of you out there, I too am planning on getting an iPhone once it's released. But I live in Sweden, don't like the plans that Telia is offering and I quite like my current operator.

SO, my question is- does anybody know where it'll be possible to buy an iPhone without any plan (i.e. prepaid card, or just the iphone) here in Europe- or anywhere in the world for that matter?? How much would that cost?

If I'm not mistaken, you could buy the original one without a contract in France and Germany (albeit at horrendous prices). I really wouldn't mind paying a bit more for the iPhone, I just really don't want to switch to Telia, since I could just buy an unlimited data plan, stick with my current operator and (hopefully/probably) have a lower monthly cost than with Telia.

Cheers!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
i doubt it will be sold anywhere unlocked at a reasonable price

many places may sell it pay-as-you go, but sim locked to that carrier
they may also charge a lot more for a sim-unlocked version, similar to that in france

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
As mentioned earlier iPhone should be sold unlocked(but it is uncertain yet if operator locked or not) in italy by Vodafone and Tim for 499 and 565 Euros, the prices in the UK seem a lot better, if I'm not mistaking the 16Gb should be, based on some O2 website leak, 369£ and it should offer free unlimited data in the UK for 6 months, and i'm pretty sure it'll be operator locked in this case. Greece is supposed to have an unlocked iPhone as well, without a contract that is, but still no one knows if operator locked or not.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
sold unlocked(but it is uncertain yet if operator locked or not)

That's a contradiction. It can't be sold unlocked, locked. It's either unlocked or it isn't.

I strongly doubt anyone will be selling the phone unlocked except in places where local laws mandate it.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Belgian law prohibits subsidised/locked phones so when it gets introduced they will be unlocked.
Anyway, they are announced to come on sale but the introduction date is still unknown.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Belgian law prohibits subsidised/locked phones so when it gets introduced they will be unlocked.
Anyway, they are announced to come on sale but the introduction date is still unknown.

That law is going to be stricken down by the european court of justice soon --- the had a appeal hearing last week.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
That's a contradiction. It can't be sold unlocked, locked. It's either unlocked or it isn't.

I strongly doubt anyone will be selling the phone unlocked except in places where local laws mandate it.

well, I guess we'll just have to wait a couple more weeks to know if it will be simlocked or operator locked or just unlocked..
someone was saying that iPhone 3G would be unlocked in both cases, contract bounded or PAYG,because you'd have to sign a contract before leaving the store anyway..

sabatino1977

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
As far as I know Vodafone Italy is selling it unlocked on pay as you go. Can't find confirmation on their website right now, but that's what I've read around the forums in the past weeks.

Kaworu:
Would it be possible to buy an iphone here in the US and bring it to Italy and have it work? I have relatives visiting and they claim that the iphones here are much cheaper than in Italy. However, I know nothing of iphones, unlocking, etc.

If you have any info I'd greatly appreciate you emailing me at sabatino1977@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.