Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:16 AM   #1
sir macs-alot
macrumors newbie

Lightbulb rate my mac mini

my 1st --- mac mini g4 solo core 1.5ghz, 512 ram (soon to be upgraded), 80 gb hard drive, 19" lcd viewsonic monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, combo drive, leopard, microsoft office '08, adobe indesign, and an apple airport card

I got it from ebay for 460, did I get a good deal on a scale of 1* to 10*?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

give me suggestions to what apps i should put on my mac here

Last edited by sir macs-alot; Jul 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
sir macs-alot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Vader
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Vader
Not sure what good office 07 is going to do you as that is the pc version, the new mac office is 2008.

Other than that I would say if those are the new wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, then you got a pretty good deal.
Vader is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:02 PM   #3
gehrbox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir macs-alot View Post
my 1st --- mac mini g4 solo core 1.5ghz, 512 ram (soon to be upgraded), 80 gb hard drive, 19" lcd viewsonic monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, combo drive, leopard, microsoft office '08, adobe indesign, and an apple airport card

I got it from ebay for 460, did I get a good deal on a scale of 1* to 10*?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching
First - Never heard of Leopard 1.4.1.1. That conflicts with the 10.5 statement in the description above the text. Did the seller include the OS DVD? Does not mention it.

Unless the Office 08 and Indesign include the installation CD/DVD's it's not a real sweet deal on them. That qualifies as illegal software if you don't have the original license. If you ever have to reinstall the software you are going to be in a tough spot.

The G4 will run leopard, but slowly. Office 08 is not known to be a speed demon even on a much higher performance Mac. 512MB ram is also going to be a source for some pain. Couple the low memory with a slow HDD, the latest OS and Apps and you are in for some disappointing performance.

All that said the price you paid for a LCD monitor, older Mac Mini and keyboard/mouse is not bad so long as it does not have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader View Post
Not sure what good office 07 is going to do you as that is the pc version, the new mac office is 2008.

Other than that I would say if those are the new wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, then you got a pretty good deal.
Don't know about the mouse, but the keyboard is the old style wireless.

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Jul 22, 2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: post merge
gehrbox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:53 AM   #4
iSpoody 1243
macrumors 6502

Talking half/half

5/10
i would have given you a 7/10 if that screen wasn't so umm average looking.
but take the screen out and the illegal software with it and it an okay deal
iSpoody 1243 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #5
jamisonbaines
macrumors regular

i have the same keyboard, mouse, & a very similar (viewsonic VA1913) monitor with my c2d mini (w/ 4gb ram)
i paid like 300+ for those in their time so i'd say solid deal

you're going to want more ram asap. my g4 ibook with 1.5gb sucks for running out of ram imo..well not that bad but compared to newer machines

looking at the auction it seems more probable that you are getting os 10.4.11 and ms office 2004

enjoy it
jamisonbaines is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6
sir macs-alot
macrumors newbie

ya its not even here yet... the wait slowly kills us all doesn't it?

spoody,

why do you think it is illegal software, and you are wrong about the monitor. 1) 200$ 2) rgb input for gaming on the xbox 360 3) my friend has one and it looks absolutely gorgeous

how do i tell if software is pirated?

illegal or not it still W0RKS

Last edited by sir macs-alot; Jun 29, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
sir macs-alot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:27 PM   #7
gehrbox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir macs-alot View Post
how do i tell if software is pirated?

illegal or not it still W0RKS
You do not own most software. It is licensed to you. Generally speaking the person with the license is the one in possession of the CD/DVD. These days there is also the requirement for activation codes. Usually these codes are included on a certificate with the CD/DVD.

If you do not have the CD/DVD and no license/activation certificate and the software is installed on your computer the software is considered illegal. Distribution of software that is not licensed to the person receiving it is called piracy. When you buy a product with illegal software installed the seller is pirating the software.

Most people don't care one way or the other until the time comes to reinstall the software due to a hardware or software issue. At that point you will be stuck.

You asked about the the value of your eBay purchase. It is of considerably less value if you do not have the CD/DVD to accompany the software included.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini