Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir macs-alot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
missouri
my 1st :apple: --- mac mini g4 solo core 1.5ghz, 512 ram (soon to be upgraded), 80 gb hard drive, 19" lcd viewsonic monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, combo drive, leopard, microsoft office '08, adobe indesign, and an apple airport card

I got it from ebay for 460, did I get a good deal on a scale of 1* to 10*?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9343&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

give me suggestions to what apps i should put on my mac here

Vader

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2004
Saint Charles, MO
Not sure what good office 07 is going to do you as that is the pc version, the new mac office is 2008.

Other than that I would say if those are the new wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, then you got a pretty good deal.

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
my 1st :apple: --- mac mini g4 solo core 1.5ghz, 512 ram (soon to be upgraded), 80 gb hard drive, 19" lcd viewsonic monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, combo drive, leopard, microsoft office '08, adobe indesign, and an apple airport card

I got it from ebay for 460, did I get a good deal on a scale of 1* to 10*?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9343&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab=Watching

First - Never heard of Leopard 1.4.1.1. That conflicts with the 10.5 statement in the description above the text. Did the seller include the OS DVD? Does not mention it.

Unless the Office 08 and Indesign include the installation CD/DVD's it's not a real sweet deal on them. That qualifies as illegal software if you don't have the original license. If you ever have to reinstall the software you are going to be in a tough spot.

The G4 will run leopard, but slowly. Office 08 is not known to be a speed demon even on a much higher performance Mac. 512MB ram is also going to be a source for some pain. Couple the low memory with a slow HDD, the latest OS and Apps and you are in for some disappointing performance.

All that said the price you paid for a LCD monitor, older Mac Mini and keyboard/mouse is not bad so long as it does not have issues.

Not sure what good office 07 is going to do you as that is the pc version, the new mac office is 2008.

Other than that I would say if those are the new wireless keyboard and mighty mouse, then you got a pretty good deal.

Don't know about the mouse, but the keyboard is the old style wireless.

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
half/half

5/10
i would have given you a 7/10 if that screen wasn't so umm average looking.
but take the screen out and the illegal software with it and it an okay deal

jamisonbaines

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2007
CA
i have the same keyboard, mouse, & a very similar (viewsonic VA1913) monitor with my c2d mini (w/ 4gb ram)
i paid like 300+ for those in their time so i'd say solid deal

you're going to want more ram asap. my g4 ibook with 1.5gb sucks for running out of ram imo..well not that bad but compared to newer machines

looking at the auction it seems more probable that you are getting os 10.4.11 and ms office 2004

enjoy it

sir macs-alot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
missouri

ya its not even here yet... the wait slowly kills us all doesn't it?

spoody,

why do you think it is illegal software, and you are wrong about the monitor. 1) 200$ 2) rgb input for gaming on the xbox 360 3) my friend has one and it looks absolutely gorgeous

how do i tell if software is pirated?

illegal or not it still W0RKS

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
how do i tell if software is pirated?

illegal or not it still W0RKS

You do not own most software. It is licensed to you. Generally speaking the person with the license is the one in possession of the CD/DVD. These days there is also the requirement for activation codes. Usually these codes are included on a certificate with the CD/DVD.

If you do not have the CD/DVD and no license/activation certificate and the software is installed on your computer the software is considered illegal. Distribution of software that is not licensed to the person receiving it is called piracy. When you buy a product with illegal software installed the seller is pirating the software.

Most people don't care one way or the other until the time comes to reinstall the software due to a hardware or software issue. At that point you will be stuck.

You asked about the the value of your eBay purchase. It is of considerably less value if you do not have the CD/DVD to accompany the software included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.