Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:16 PM   #1
hokeydays
macrumors newbie

Costco ? Will they have Iphone

I am newbie to all things IPhone and AT & T, so sorry if stupid question.. but will Costco have the Iphone on day one, or at all? I noticed yesterday they sell AT & T cell phones.

Thanks.
hokeydays is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:23 PM   #2
ipodtouchy333
macrumors 65816

No, I'm pretty sure there is deal that only the Apple and AT&T are authorized to sell them.
ipodtouchy333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:24 PM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
I think Costco will continue to sell the iPod Touch and the iPod line, but nothing foreseen for the iPhone. Though AT&T has been selling their other phones, they've not sold or stocked the iPhone. They've been selling AT&T plans/phones during the past year at my local Costco Warehouse.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:45 PM   #4
MV ROB
macrumors member

Nope only Apple stores and Retail (corporate owned) AT&T stores. No authorized agents, radio shacks or any of the others will be able to sell them. They might change it in the future, but im sure it will be just like the first gen
MV ROB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:06 PM   #5
zainjetha
macrumors 6502a

no.. and they wont even have the technology to activate them..
zainjetha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 04:28 PM   #6
nparmelee
macrumors 6502

Our Costco does sell some AT&T phones, but no iPhone, they told us they likely never will have them. Even Best Buy that is a seller of Apple computers and does sell AT&T phones doesn't have them. Expect it to be just Apple and AT&T owned stores for a quite a while yet.
nparmelee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:32 PM   #7
dccorona
macrumors 68020

they won't have the technology?
wether in store activation is required or not, they will still be activated on computers running itunes

im pretty sure stores that sell cellphones will have this technology
dccorona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:39 PM   #8
veeco3110
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to veeco3110
im a manager at costco here in jersey. no costco will sell any iphones. we only carry the ipod lines(classic, nano, and touch) with the occasional other product. (apple tv, occasional imacs)
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:42 PM   #9
TwinCities Dan
macrumors 603

No, only and AT&T stores will be selling them...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:07 AM   #10
bcar473
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to bcar473
Tonight at my local costco in California, the Wireless Advocate's rep told me that his AT&T rep is telling them that they are in negotiations for being the other national retailer for the iphone and he says if they announce the contract to carry, they will have it within 30 to 60 days.

At first I thought the guy was full of BS, until he dropped some pretty credible facts, including info about the Best Buy deal, which his rep had told them was going to happen, as well as the fact that Costco is an authorized Apple retailer. He also says that they are talking about either test marketing it in the Bay Area or going national throughout...

We talked at length about the iphone and how he feels that Costco is in good position to sell it, since they carry or have carried in the past: iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, and even have carried iMacs, Mac Mini bundles, and even a macbook once in a while. Its very interesting!

Reading through this thread, I would have agreed with many of the comments about the iphone being exclusive at ATT and Apple Stores, but then alot has changed in the past week....

It would be quite nice if they have it, because they dont have activation fees, which would save me over $50 on that alone!

What do you guys think now??
bcar473 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:10 AM   #11
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

I favored the exclusiveness

Being at Apple and AT&T stores was nice, but now...

Best Buy is already on the wagon, so there is no doubt that it's going to be in a bunch of other places soon.

Good for Apple, but meh...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 02:13 AM   #12
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcar473 View Post
Tonight at my local costco in California, the Wireless Advocate's rep told me that his AT&T rep is telling them that they are in negotiations for being the other national retailer for the iphone and he says if they announce the contract to carry, they will have it within 30 to 60 days.

At first I thought the guy was full of BS, until he dropped some pretty credible facts, including info about the Best Buy deal, which his rep had told them was going to happen, as well as the fact that Costco is an authorized Apple retailer. He also says that they are talking about either test marketing it in the Bay Area or going national throughout...

We talked at length about the iphone and how he feels that Costco is in good position to sell it, since they carry or have carried in the past: iPod, iPod Touch, Apple TV, and even have carried iMacs, Mac Mini bundles, and even a macbook once in a while. Its very interesting!

Reading through this thread, I would have agreed with many of the comments about the iphone being exclusive at ATT and Apple Stores, but then alot has changed in the past week....

It would be quite nice if they have it, because they dont have activation fees, which would save me over $50 on that alone!

What do you guys think now??
First of all, I would like to commend you for searching.
You are the ideal newbie =)

Anyway, yeah I feel that selling the iPhone at retailers like Costco and even Best Buy kind of hurts its name. It makes it seem.... almost.... less-special, for lack of better words haha. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by deannnnn; Aug 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
deannnnn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone