Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I am new to the mac world, actually I have not bought a mac yet, but am planing in a few months.

Now my question is if anyone have heard anything at all about a ram upgrade for the powerbook, so it can use 800mhz ram.
It is one of the things which keps me from rushing out and buying a mac right now, that it currently only goes on 667mhz ram and it would be a downer to buy one and then a month later see it getting the 800mhz ram upgrade.

anyone, anything, on this?

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
the powerbook is like 3 years old. You mean macbook pro. the current model has 800mhz ram. The previous model had 667mhz ram. The next model will have 1066mhz ram.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
No the current MB and MBP use PC5300 667mhz RAM. The iMac and Mac Pro are the only 800mhz at present. The next MBP will use 800mhz.

MBP = Macbook Pro (current)
PB = Powerbook (pre-2006)

guest8t88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
Well, hopefully it is just a matter of time before the MBP gets its 800mhz ram.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
let me rephrase. I AM DUMB.

yes, the next generation will have 800mhz ram like the most recent imac.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
The performance increase from 667 MHz DDR2 to 800 MHz DDR 2 will be minimal. The MacBook Pros are not starved for bandwidth, I don't understand why you think an 800 MHz memory subsystem is going to make all the difference..... especially when memory is only a small portion of system performance, and 20% increase in a given component's speed something that affects system speed maybe 5-15% on average is still a small increase.

Again, given the MacBook Pro isn't starved for bandwidth, it's a good bet there will be no performance benefit.

Barefeats ran 667 MHz RAM in the Mac Pros, and their results were interesting.... real-world performance yielded no slow-downs by using the 667 MHz modules vs. the 800 MHz ones. And that's in he Pros, with 8 cores clocked 50% higher.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
The performance increase from 667 MHz DDR2 to 800 MHz DDR 2 will be minimal. The MacBook Pros are not starved for bandwidth, I don't understand why you think an 800 MHz memory subsystem is going to make all the difference.....

It is not what I think... it is what I have been told.
My "semipro" use and knowledge of computers ended back in '95 - '96.
I am one of those old DOS-boys, who loved the simple black screen. Hardware and Software interest has not been the same for the past 13 years. So since I have failed at finding any hardcore cold facts on the difference between 667 and 800, I have been forced to go by what I have told by others.
In the end, extra proformance is always good in my book.

P.S.
If you can give me any good URL's for sites which gives the cold facts with out all the inbetween talk, then it would be great.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
If you like the black and white screen, you'll be right at home during Mac OS X's startup if you hit apple+V as it starts for Verbose mode which shows you what the Unix core is doing as it starts ;)

As for showing you what I mean, well, barefeats did a test here: http://barefeats.com/harper5.html

The bottom three in the test are the real-world tests that matter.. those on top are synthetic which are more indicative of theoretical performance increases, but which don't pan out in real use.... even the synthetic benches don't show much, and that's mostly singling out memory performance.

Here is a comparison of memory latency in the MacBook Pro: http://barefeats.com/mbpp03.html

The difference is also minimal.

I'm afraid it's not possible to compare 667 vs. 800 in the MBP yet, since it doesn't yet support 800 MHz, but historically faster memory has made only slight improvements (unless they're huge jumps, of course); you could look at myriad tests over the years, from PC133-DDR266 to DDR3-1800 on sites like AnAndTech, FiringSquad and TomsHardware and you'll see the differences are really only for enthusiasts....

And I promise you you'd never yourself notice it, since a 10% increase (and it would be less than that) is not generally perceivable by humans.... picture something taking 60 seconds, vs. 54 seconds... could you tell which was faster? Probably not.

However, the next MacBook Pros will likely be faster due to faster chips and I suppose possibly a new architecture.... so if you're waiting for that, it might not be a bad idea.

guest8t88

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
And what if I am not human... :)

Well, atleast I will wait anyway, once I get a new appartment I will buy a mac and sell the pc, space and use.

And thanks for the tip on the installation, almost made me reach the sky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.