Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
det2004
macrumors 6502

Apple Tv vs. Mac Mini

Hi, I was trying to decide between a mac mini and an apple tv for a digital media center for my home theatre. I was wondering how the videos played from the apple tv look on widescreen hdtvs? I have a macbook that I sometimes hook into my tv, and a lot of the videos have black bars on the sides....I was just wondering if they would look any better by using the Apple Tv....not sure if it has any kind of settings for widescreen, etc..
det2004 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2004 View Post
Hi, I was trying to decide between a mac mini and an apple tv for a digital media center for my home theatre. I was wondering how the videos played from the apple tv look on widescreen hdtvs? I have a macbook that I sometimes hook into my tv, and a lot of the videos have black bars on the sides....I was just wondering if they would look any better by using the Apple Tv....not sure if it has any kind of settings for widescreen, etc..
Nope, the TV does NOT currently have any 4:3 vs Widescreen TV setting. However, it will play both 4:3 and widescreen content correctly if you have a widescreen TV (which I think you do since you mention black bars on the sides).

It's normal to have black bars on the sides when playing 4:3 content on a widescreen TV, and normal to have black bars at the top and bottom when playing widescreen content on a square (4:3) TV.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ect_ratio.html
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Full of Win
Banned

If you are using the current version of Quicktime, which you very well may not be, you do have the option to fill the screen.

1. Open the file using Quicktime
2. Click F for full screen
3. Now, on the HUD, click the button 2nd from the right

I know this does not answer your question, just though I'd throw this out there.
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater