Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

det2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
Hi, I was trying to decide between a mac mini and an apple tv for a digital media center for my home theatre. I was wondering how the videos played from the apple tv look on widescreen hdtvs? I have a macbook that I sometimes hook into my tv, and a lot of the videos have black bars on the sides....I was just wondering if they would look any better by using the Apple Tv....not sure if it has any kind of settings for widescreen, etc..

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Hi, I was trying to decide between a mac mini and an apple tv for a digital media center for my home theatre. I was wondering how the videos played from the apple tv look on widescreen hdtvs? I have a macbook that I sometimes hook into my tv, and a lot of the videos have black bars on the sides....I was just wondering if they would look any better by using the Apple Tv....not sure if it has any kind of settings for widescreen, etc..

Nope, the :apple:TV does NOT currently have any 4:3 vs Widescreen TV setting. However, it will play both 4:3 and widescreen content correctly if you have a widescreen TV (which I think you do since you mention black bars on the sides).

It's normal to have black bars on the sides when playing 4:3 content on a widescreen TV, and normal to have black bars at the top and bottom when playing widescreen content on a square (4:3) TV.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-z3Sw8b3kiZl/learningcenter/home/aspect_ratio.html

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
If you are using the current version of Quicktime, which you very well may not be, you do have the option to fill the screen.

1. Open the file using Quicktime
2. Click :apple: F for full screen
3. Now, on the HUD, click the button 2nd from the right

I know this does not answer your question, just though I'd throw this out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.