Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ay98182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Hey everyone,

I have a few questions about the upcoming .mac to mobileme transition.

I just graduated from university and the email address that I've been using for the past three years is being shut down on July 14th, so I need to migrate to a new service.

My dad has a .mac account and (as I don't have enough extra money currently to get my own one, and I don't need the other services) I'd like to pay the £7.50 for him to add an extra email address to it.

The only problem is that everything's being changed to mobileme soon - what will happen to this additional @mac.com address? Will it also be eligible for a free upgrade to mobileme? If so, what will happen if people email me on the mac.com address, will it be automatically redirected to my me.com email?

I would just wait for mobileme to come out, but, if it's being released after July 14th, it's going to be really inconvenient for me if I don't have an email address for even a few days (or have to set up a temporary one for only a few weeks) as I have lots of work related stuff that needs to reach me around that time.

(as an alternative, could you suggest a free/cheap email service that would work well with the Mail application on my Mac and iPhone?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Check the FAQ for lots of details...any mac.com addresses will also become me.com addresses. You can send and receive as either one.

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
im pretty sure that if you upgrade your father's account to a family pack (which it sounds like you are implying) then you will only get extra email addresses.

i don't think that each member of a family pack gets all of the other .mac benefits (idisk, hosting, etc.)

might not be a deal breaker for you, just wanted you to be sure to look into this before spending any money!

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I believe that extra 7.50 only gives you an email address, I think you have to share all the other services. You might not care about that. Just an FYI. Anyway, you will get a .mac address which will turn to .me. You will keep both. Apple has not announced if they plan on phasing that out or not later on in the future. New subscribers to MobileMe will get .me and only .me.

ay98182

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Thanks for all the advice!

I'm really tempted by the google mail service - the only question I have is what is the advert situation like when you set it up with iPhone or Mail? I read somewhere that they attach content sensitive ads to each email you send/receive. Is this true, as it would be a major turn-off for me? :mad:

Also, has anyone used the add email-only account service with .mac? How is the extra email address controlled? Is it accessible at all times to the main account holder or do you get separate log-in details?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
What?

I'm really tempted by the google mail service - the only question I have is what is the advert situation like when you set it up with iPhone or Mail? I read somewhere that they attach content sensitive ads to each email you send/receive. Is this true, as it would be a major turn-off for me? :mad:

Dude, what? You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I've been using gmail on my mac for over a year and on my iPhone since launch day. Works beautifully.

I would use .mac, but gmail has a better spam filter. When mobileme comes out, I'll have to rethink the way I have it set up.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Also, call apple. I think you can get an email only account for $10 a year... but I don't know if that is true anymore.

jplan2008

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2008
Also, has anyone used the add email-only account service with .mac? How is the extra email address controlled? Is it accessible at all times to the main account holder or do you get separate log-in details?

The main account holder can cancel the account at any time, but the password info. is separate (they may need to put password and security question when they set it up, but you can change both). So they would have no access to the account. I think the email storage is limited to 512MB at the moment.
If you upgraded to family pack, you'd have all the benefits of MobileMe on the sub-accounts, but with lower limits. I've read that the price in the UK is going down with MobileMe, so maybe the difference after the switch from individual to Family wouldn't be that much for this year -- I'm not sure how they'll do upgrades in the middle of the contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.