Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
Anyone here running 10.3.x Client machines on a Netinfo-bound 10.2.x Server network should be celebrating.
This will most likely fix the "loginwindow won't come back after home folder user logout" bug.

..what? You haven't heard of it?

:(

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Maybe another issue...

I have Remote Desktop running on both my PowerMac and TiBook, wirelessly through a Netgear router. The PowerMac is in my basement and it seems that I can only get a Rendezvous connection when I'm above the PowerMac. Anywhere else where it's through the router doesn't seem to want to connect. But they all still have local IPs through the router. Maybe this will be fixed...

Anyone else with this problem? Anyone?

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Is there a Windows Remote Desktop Client?

I'd like to be able to run my Mac from a client on a Windows PC.

Possible?

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Originally posted by louden

Possible?

You can do this in reverse order with the MS RDC client for Mac. Apple's RDC is Mac to Mac only. Too bad, eh?

How well does Apple's RDC client work on say a slow Mac laptop controlling a fast Mac desktop? I am think Pismo to MDD...

jcaldwell

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
windows remote desktop

Yes, they do and it is on XP pro and xp, it can alos be downloaded. BUT I too wanted to load my mac using the windows remoted desktop and I cannot get it to work. Macs remote workls great on pc's but not visa versa damned shame...there was one member saying she was keeping an eye on her son using Windows remote desktop watching his Mac, I left a question asking how, but never got a responce

louden said:

Possible?

bondjw07

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
Remote Connection Through VNC

I wanted to do the same thing you are. So I learned about VNC. This will allow you to access your Mac from any PC with an internet connection.

VNC works by having a server-client relationship. The installer for mac can be found here http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html

This is not a viewer, will just make your computer available to be connected to.

Then you need to get a viewer for the PC. That can be found at http://www.realvnc.com

I just downloaded the .exe file and keep in on my USB thumb drive and take it to a computer and run it from there.

Well, that is about it, hope this helps!!!
~Jay

SpaceInc

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2002
ARD vs VNC

jsw said:
VNC is a wonderful, free set of programs. What does ARD offer to justify the cost?

With ARD You can install software over network to the client machine, U can manage huge group of macs with one click, observe, control, take reports, lock the mac, share Your screen to the client "I show to You how You should do this and that" etc. ADR is the best solution for admins and teatchers for remote access. And it is secure with the connection.

With VNC...er...You can have the screen of the client...unsecured. I have heard that there are some versions of VNC that use SSH but I have not found them.

Anyways, ARD is for heavy users and VNC is just for remote control/access.

"When I do get my 2xG5 Cube? Ma-a!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.