Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tannerozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Waco, Texas
I'm fairly new to macs. I got my first a few months ago (the Air) and I LOVE it! But something has been bugging me since I got it.

When you delete text on windows you hold backspace and it deletes the characters one at a time for about half a second, then it speeds up a lot and deletes them quickly. I can't figure out how to do that on a mac though. When you backspace on a mac you hold delete but it never speeds up.

I've looked through forums and stuff and can't find anything else on this problem. I don't know if that means there's a really simple solution, or if it's just something that nobody really cares enough about to mention.

Has anybody else noticed this, or have a solution?

Tannerozzy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Waco, Texas
Man, that's horrible reasoning :(
I don't really think it's faster to move from the keyboard to the mouse, selecting it with the mouse then pressing delete. I'd rather just hold delete til I got where I needed.

And yea, I guess I could see how deleting too much could be an issue. But I've used windows for 15 years before my mac... I've pretty much gotten down exactly how long to hold it.

So there isn't any kind of application out there that will do this?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Part of switching to OS X is to not make it be Windows. Let it do its thing; it knows what's best.

Granted, change settings so you're happy, but Delete is Delete. You can't really change that, and there's no market for apps that do.

CANONinDevin

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Click on the :apple: Button in the Top Left Corner of the Screen

Go to System Preferences

Click on Keyboard & Mouse

In the Keyboard Tab, switch Key Repeat Rate to fastest. This increases the speed of holding down the backspace.

(Note: Make sure that Delay Until Repeat setting IS NOT at OFF)

Hope this helps,

Devin

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Man, that's horrible reasoning :(
I don't really think it's faster to move from the keyboard to the mouse, selecting it with the mouse then pressing delete. ?

You can make your selection from the keyboard without using the mouse, Click where you want to start or end, then "Shift Click" the other end of what you want selected and hit delete.

Lee Kelso

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
CANONinDevin - thank you

Because for years I have had this problem too. I don't want to use the mouse. I don't want to highlight and delete. I do not want to hit the delete key ten times to go back one space at a time.

I never paid attention to see that the 'Delay Until Repeat' slider has the (Off)Long-Short. Move the slider all the way to short and then the delete key will act just like you are using backspace on a windows pc.

Thank you again.

Pom Pom Purin

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2015
How to delete texts quickly on the mac

1. Go to system preferences.
1_Apple_System_Preferences.jpg

2. Click on keyboard. It is located in the second row.

3. Adjust "delay to repeat" to the highest.

tomvos

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
In the Nexus.
…, or have a solution?

Perhaps I may propose a different approach. Why not using keychords? Every cocoa based text field (i.e. most text fields) support a small set of keychords.

ALT-Backspace => delete by word
APPLE-Backspace => delete line
CTRL-k => delete text right of cursor

I think ALT-Backspace usually is much faster than waiting for the backspace to ramp up the delete speed.

Reactions: icedcoffeeontoast

CatieCollins

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2017

Go to System Preferences

In the Keyboard Tab, switch Key Repeat Rate to fastest. This increases the speed of holding down the backspace.

Hope this helps,

Devin
[doublepost=1483935385][/doublepost]THIS WORKED!! thanks so much

Han L

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2017

Go to System Preferences

Hope this helps,

Devin
I have tried this as well as numerous other methods, but nothing seems to work for me. I am currently running 10.12.6 on the 2015 macbook. Perhaps it is my software version preventing me from doing so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.