Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:11 PM   #1
slidelewy
macrumors newbie

Problems with HDMI

Connected my Apple TV up to my new Samsung LE37A559P. Everything seemed to be going ok, set it up fully, updated the software, now whenever I leave it for a while and say watch tv for abit and then go back to apple tv through the hdmi option, apple tv comes on, then a black screen comes up, says searching for hdmi input, then apple tv comes up, and then that message again.

JUst continues doing this until I have to unplug it and restart it, then works fine until the next time I put it too sleep or change mode. The HDMI cable is brand new aswell.

I've read up on it and i'm near sure its something to do with the HDMI handshake required to pair the tv to apple tv, just wondering if anyone knows any solutions, or will I just have to wait for upgrades etc.

Thanks in advance
slidelewy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Wotan31
Banned

Maybe your TV needs a firmware update.
Wotan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:16 PM   #3
slidelewy
macrumors newbie

was thinking that, but struggling to find an upgrade for the model I have, nothing on the samsung site
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I have the exact same problem.

I posted it on the Apple forum and the general answer is the "inconsistencies in HDMI" since the technology is young.

I'm switching to component cables.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:51 PM   #5
TuckBodi
macrumors 6502

I gave up on hdmi a few months ago after two cables and a random green cracking screen. Component cable, though more bulky, are no problem.
TuckBodi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 06:53 AM   #6
jemeinc
macrumors 6502a

as soon as I read the title of this thread I was wondering if you had a samsung tv. Samsung uses a different HDMI technology than most of the other companies. Don't ask me why, but its a pain in the butt- its really bad with verizon FIOS. I've been told by both samsung and verizon that a major update is coming in august- not sure if that will fix your problem
jemeinc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:12 AM   #7
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

I, too, have a Sammy with a similar HDMI problem.

I solved mine by plugging the Apple TV's HDMI output into my Yamaha AV Receiver and then the Yamaha to the Sammy. They seem to talk better to one another (Yamaha & Sammy). Since I have HDMI cable, it made sense to use the AV receiver as a switcher.
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:27 AM   #8
sanPietro98
macrumors 6502a

Is there any video quality difference between HDMI and component cables?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:28 AM   #9
slidelewy
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys, hopefully Samsung will update it then and fix this problem

MikieMikie what Yamaha receiver do you have? Was thinking of getting one and if this solves this problem then all the more reason for getting it, cause its just annoying and basically makes apple tv unusable.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanPietro98 View Post
Is there any video quality difference between HDMI and component cables?
If your tele is any good, then no there should be no difference.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:00 PM   #11
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidelewy View Post
Thanks for the help guys, hopefully Samsung will update it then and fix this problem

MikieMikie what Yamaha receiver do you have? Was thinking of getting one and if this solves this problem then all the more reason for getting it, cause its just annoying and basically makes apple tv unusable.
RX-V663.

It's really an awesome receiver for the price. I had purchased a Denon (1 step up from the bottom of the rung) which refused to run 1 day after my in-store warranty expired (Best Buy)

I called and they asked me if it was the Denon model XXXX (I'd have to look it up) and I replied that it was. They told me to bring it in and they'd replace it with the Yamaha which, from what I could tell, was priced similarly with similar features. They explained that two out of every three Denons of this model were returned defective, apologized, etc.

Having used the Denon for a month, and having had the Yamaha for at least 3 after that, I can easily say that the sound quality and accuracy of the Yamaha (as well as its rock-solid reliability) is far better than the Denon I experienced.

It has 5.1 and 7.1, with auto speaker detect and adjustment. It's a real breeze to set up (compared to the inscrutable Denon) and ease-of-use is really great.

As you can tell, I am all for it!

Edit: I forgot to mention this unit upgrades all inputs to a single HDMI output, including component, SVHS, etc. In addition, if you connect your Apple TV via HDMI, audio is processed on the HDMI cable, making the need for Optical (TOSLINK) cables a thing of the past.

Last edited by MikieMikie; Jul 2, 2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: More relevant info
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater