Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydiamonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Hi, I have been introduced to this wonderful website a little while ago by a friend who uses MBP 17" and it helped me get my first Mac (MBP 15"). But I'm not ready to be a switcher yet.

I'm a paid photographer and I use my PC for storing and managing my files through about 7TB of disk space (including on site and off site backups). I mostly use Photoshop CS3 and Nikon Capture NX for photo processing, Proshow Producer for Slideshows Surething to print on CDs and at the same time it's my entertainment hub when I'm not working, watch TV and play DVD TV shows through 24" screen.

On the other hand, I use my MBP for all my productivity programs, e-mail, contacts, invoicing, web surfing, and PhotoPresenter to show clinets quick slideshows. I also use it to do some ligh photo editing.

I would replace my PC with Mac pro, but I'll be paying for somthing I don't really need right now (8 cores) and at the same time lacks some features that are important in what I do, like, very expensive TV or DVB-S cards, only 4 internal HDs and I still find explorer to be superior to what OS X is offering when it comes to file managment and multitasking. I would love to work with Aperture but it's not a deal breaker.

Right now, I wouldn't replace my Windows PC, but at the same time, I'm not going back to outlook, IE, horrible invoicing and time tracking software.

Are you in a similar situation? I understand a lot of people use Windows at work and Mac at home, but do you use both platforms by choice? I would love to hear your stories.

Ammar

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I produce, create and perform music live as well as the usual contacts, surfing, IM stuff, and I also play games quite a bit. I really wanted to move over to Mac and I'm yet to find an aspect of the move I'm disappointed with.

In the music industry; Apple has become one of the standards, and for performance if you don't see a MacBook Pro / Powerbook up on stage, something is a little wrong! I create music using Ableton Live 7, and I'm currently writing a program under Jitter to do visuals for me too.

Even hooking it up to a TV proved nearly effortless. And to my delight I've found a few of the games I own install on PC and Mac so I've been playing around with that too!

I did initially install Vista Business 64bit to run a few windows benchmarks and the like, but after I'd don that I didn't really need it any more (that, and I got frustrated about how long it took to update!) so I removed it and have been using OS X ever since.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
I write Windows software and I like Windows but I'm so tired of the garbage hardware that makes up 98% of the PC world. I like OS X too so I figured maybe it was time to bite the bullet and get a Mac, so that's what I did, an MBP. It's certainly pricey but so far it's worked far better than my last 3 PC laptops and I've gotten used to OS X pretty quickly. But I still have to write Windows software for a living and occasionally do something OS X simply can't do so I bought VMWare Fusion and it works perfectly. The best of both worlds, I figure, without having to choose between one or the other like Boot Camp. Granted, I don't do anything graphical which may be too much for Fusion, but it works for me.

nephilim7

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
my 2 cents.

I do composing and audio production work.

I switched from a full pro tools rig on PC to Logic on a 17" mbp over the course of about 2 months (started with a friends powerbook as an extended loan). I don't like having to maintain more than one machine for anything. I debated a mac pro, but like you I found it to be a bit overpowered and the thought of a portable studio struck me as something I've always wanted but never considered viable... and heck if I'm going mac, I'm going portable.

I had to give up a few treasured plugins that don't have mac equivs, but adaption is part of the game, it also forced me to rethink my workflow a bit. Finally took my own advice about not blaming or relying on the tools. I also learned much to my chagrin, just what OS most of my tools were made for.. some of the plugins I use didn't work so well UI wise in windows but made a lot more sense in the context of OS X... if that makes any sense.

Finder is a pain sometimes I'm not fully used to it, but there are ways to customize it that make it a bit easier to get around in, and being about to use a real bash shell to move things around manually makes up for it in my opinion.

When I *need* windows, which is never excepting games, I use bootcamp. This thing runs vista very well and while I'm not an avid gamer it keeps me happy and was a nice bonus. Oh wait I do use one mastering app in vmware fusion. runs great.

as for drives, I use external at home and whatever project I'm working on sits on the HD.

so yeah I lost some stuff, I had to learn some stuff, but in the end I gained a fully portable studio that replaced a very loud ugly PC that fought me every step of the way.. did I mention portable.. I mixed a track today at the beach. work.. at beach. work. beach.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I've got four computers. My Desktop I built has Vista Ultimate, I did this because I'm in the same boat as you, I wanted a mac desktop but the mac pro was too much (and too little at the same time) for me. $2600 (with education discount) with only 2GB of RAM? come on. for just over a grand I built one with 8GB of RAM, and still a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo thats plenty for me, I use RAM a lot more than CPU.

I've got the same laptop as you for all my mobile stuff and whatnot, I love it.
Then I've got two older Dells, an Optiplex with XP, and a D600 Latitude with Ubuntu. I'm a computer tech by trade so Its useful for me to keep up to date with all the current OSs.

I would have an OS X desktop if they made a headless iMac, but I have a 24" LCD thats better than the iMacs (DVI, VGA, Component, Composite, S-Video inputs) but they still don't have that and the mini isn't enough.

crazydiamonds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Thank you all for your input,

It seems there is a hole in Apple's desktop product line, something in between the iMac and Mac Pro. iMac offers too little and Mac Pro is an over kill to a lot of users.

This article by Macworld suggests that I get an iMac! I don't think so.

After using my MBP for a little while, I have came to love its relative consistency when compared to windows, It's true I can get more bang for the buck with a windows machine but at the cost of constantly maintaining and tweaking the OS, not to say OS X is perfect, but it's definitely easier to maintain.

I'm thinking of replacing my AMD x2 3800+ desktop PC soon, I will probably use my new PC for at least 3-5 years. At this point, even with its many compromises OS X seems like the better route.

I just finished reading this article From Win32 to Cocoa: a Windows user's conversion to Mac OS X. I'm not a software developer, but it's somthing to consider about where Microsoft and Apple are heading in the future from the perspective of a software developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.