Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Would this mean that Apple is trying to move into the small business market like IBM and Microsoft? And the large business market?

I just read a really interesting article in the Money section of USA Today (today's paper, 12-11-03) which went over how Microsoft and IBM are trying to move into "niche" markets, ie small businesses.

Hmmmmm.....hope it works out.
:)

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by sethypoo
Would this mean that Apple is trying to move into the small business market like IBM and Microsoft? And the large business market?

I just read a really interesting article in the Money section of USA Today (today's paper, 12-11-03) which went over how Microsoft and IBM are trying to move into "niche" markets, ie small businesses.

Hmmmmm.....hope it works out.
:)

Apple already has a large share of small buisnesses and small non-profits. With the enterprise sales division, apple's trying to target large corporations, i.e. fortune 500 companies.

(edit: I didn't mean LARGE large, but a higher presence than say it's total market share.)

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
how can it NOT be good?! seems to me like the more computers apple sells the better. and to be hiring during this time with the news wants everyone to believe that the market is in a shambles must mean that apple is doing something right if they WANT new hires. i like it. :D :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm sure this is a good thing, but honestly, why? I'd be curious to hear other people's impressions and what exactly this means....

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by gwuMACaddict
how can it NOT be good?! seems to me like the more computers apple sells the better. and to be hiring during this time with the news wants everyone to believe that the market is in a shambles must mean that apple is doing something right if they WANT new hires. i like it. :D :D

Plenty of companies hire while doing layoffs/downsizing. Hiring during a market downswing means nothing. (Almost all of these companies claim "corporate restructuring" when asked about their business practices...)

My question is "why Oracle (other than proximity)?" Oracle is coming to a grinding halt with far less respect by the business community. The sales force from Oracle could be possibly cheap to buy, but anyone who's ever dealt with an Oracle rep would know that their "skills" are based on their company's pre-exisiting brand name in the industry; they are not blazing any new paths in the business sector (which is the kind of sales force Apple will need to crack into the Fortune 500.)

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I assume it's a good thing because it will help Apple sell more Xserves which means greater market, greater profit and greater acceptance as OS X as a realistic alternative to M$ :confused:

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Originally posted by legion
Plenty of companies hire while doing layoffs/downsizing. Hiring during a market downswing means nothing. (Almost all of these companies claim "corporate restructuring" when asked about their business practices...)

cept the market downswing= layoffs in CA, and hiring in Bangalore and Hyderabad.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is this specifically for server system sales, or will they be targeting business customers' desktops? I can't tell from the news so far.

k2k koos

macrumors 6502a
Could be very promising, if backed up by the much needed new x serves etc (g5?)

now we need some more pull apps for themac, creative apps plenty, we need more spreadsheets, databases, etc etc etc, before joe public is convinced that " YES you can ALSO do your financial admin on a Mac, not just design work" Which is a common misconception by the way, oh and Apple.. please do something about that market share her ein europe, I really strugel here to findMac magazines, and shops hat sell Mac hardware, yes tehey ae arround, but there are PC's on every street corner, no Macs , HELP!!! I wanne see and feel before I buy pls!!!! (not to mention show others there is a whole different world out there if they look past their windows....)

;) ;)

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
... My question is "why Oracle (other than proximity)?" Oracle is coming to a grinding halt with far less respect by the business community. ...

If a salesman calls to me and says he used to sell Oracle, I'm going to hang up on him immediately. They have a horrible reputation. Hiring ex-Oracle salespeople to sell Apple computers is like hiring ex-Gulag guards as ballet dancers.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by cubist
If a salesman calls to me and says he used to sell Oracle, I'm going to hang up on him immediately. They have a horrible reputation. Hiring ex-Oracle salespeople to sell Apple computers is like hiring ex-Gulag guards as ballet dancers.

Ahh... so you've spoken to the Oracle sales force...:D

(I'd do the same!)

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Originally posted by x86isslow
cept the market downswing= layoffs in CA, and hiring in Bangalore and Hyderabad.

That's the image everyone is going with now, but I remember back in college, Applied Materials, Inktomi, Oracle, Raytheon, Hughes (parent of Raytheon), and other SF Bay companies were hiring hundreds (quietly) while publicly they were firing thousands. Stocks were declining and credit ratings were poor for the Tech sector and these companies were using that as an excuse for the firings/layoffs/force retirements. I asked an interviewer once what that meant about job security in their company and they had no reponse.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Apple is hiring the Oracles because they already have the inside connections to large corperate businesses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Gabriel

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2003
Its good that Apple is beefing up its enterprise sales force, but I hope that they don't do it at the cost of their education sales force. I was talking to a private school IT guy awhile ago (from a long-time Mac school) and he said that the only reason they stayed with Apple was that their rep was really good. He was extremely frustrated with iBook problems (apparently a whole lab had power problems, Apple said to buy new adapters but it didn't work), OS X Server problems, AirPort problems, etc. Maybe he was just one lone grumbler, but if he isn't it could be very problematic.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Originally posted by x86isslow

So what? Don't people in Bangalore and Hyderabad deserve to have jobs too?

Besides, I don't think that is relevant here. You generally don't hire sales people from far away places. Tech workers, yes, but not people on the front lines.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Originally posted by hayesk
So what? Don't people in Bangalore and Hyderabad deserve to have jobs too?

Not mine, but that's a whole nuther thing.
My experience with oracle sales has been fantastic. Professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. Perhaps the reader got a lemon? Besides, any oracle volk hired at Apple will follow the Apple mantra. And I would suggest that Apple is developing a server to workstation solution for enterprise, using some new "stuff" coming up soon.

tsunake

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by bertagert
Apple is hiring the Oracles because they already have the inside connections to large corperate businesses. Nothing more, nothing less.

Exactly. There aren't too many companies with enterprise saturation rivaling Oracle's.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
California to renege on Oracle contract

Interesting history....

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1106-900786.html

"Oracle has long been known for its aggressive competitive stance, even in the high-stakes, high-pressure world of corporate software sales, which includes such industry giants IBM, SAP and Siebel Systems.

The state's negotiators were no match for the professionals at Oracle, according to a state auditor's report, which highlighted several aspects of the contract that it found objectionable. For example, the report noted that the six-year term was unusually long in an industry with rapidly changing technology, that the state wasn't protected in the event Oracle lowered its prices and that the purchase price didn't include software upgrades."

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Originally posted by bertagert

Correct.

Most folks around here love Oracle which is why Oracle designed special database software just for hospitals in this area.
Not including DB software for PDA's so the doctors can pull up all of a patients info via wifi connections throughout the hospitals. All the beds have LCD touchscreens with DB running it as well for the nurses.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
a beautiful fantasy....going to work one morning and discovering all our computers replaced with macs...hell, i'd settle for emacs.

if only....

everytihng would run! no win98 lock-ups, no programs that lie about real-time inventory....

Apple will save us all.

or i will wake up.

but hey, borders is fortune 500, and we're the pseudo underdog against B&N...c'mon apple, just a few computers...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

My question is "why Oracle (other than proximity)?" Oracle is coming to a grinding halt with far less respect by the business community. The sales force from Oracle could be possibly cheap to buy, but anyone who's ever dealt with an Oracle rep would know that their "skills" are based on their company's pre-exisiting brand name in the industry; they are not blazing any new paths in the business sector (which is the kind of sales force Apple will need to crack into the Fortune 500.)

You buy other companies reps for their Rolodexes and contacts and less for their sales skills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.