Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
How can I take a .jpg photo that is of a low resolution and make 1024x768? Is this even possible? The photo I'd like to do this to is a 372KB photo.

Thank you!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
If you don't have a higher resolution image to begin with, you can't add more data to it.

you could resize the image, but you'd get a degradation in image quality.

What's the current res of the image?

D

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
If you don't have a higher resolution image to begin with, you can't add more data to it.

you could resize the image, but you'd get a degradation in image quality.

What's the current res of the image?

D

In the get info window it doesn't say, where else should I look?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
it's easy using iPhoto, though as others mentioned, image quality will degrade.

select the picture in iphoto, File->Export.
choose file export and set the resolution to whatever the values you'd like...

(it says "Scale the photo no larger than..." but it can expand as well as shrink any image.)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Agreed, it'll get blown up, but it's gonna be ugly. You can go down but cannot go up the grade.

MacDuff

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
San Francisco
Just to let you know along with what everyone else has told you, the image data cannot be expanded because it didn't exist in the first place. Digitally, the pixel size is already set. So when enlarging the photo size the pixels are added but the reason it will look poor is because the computer is "making up" the new pixels.

One thing that might help (maybe) is printing out the photo at its current resolution, then scanning the print at a very high resolution, atleast 500 dpi. It's a method i used once and it worked as much as I needed it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.