Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I will be upgrading my iPhone to 3G and want to give my old 8GB phone to my wife but not until December.

Can she activate on the old iPhone plan (with 200 text messages) or will she be forced on to the new iPhone plans?

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
After reading the new info that AT&T released today, I have a feeling the other shoe is about to drop. Notice how the iPhone eligibility criteria was further defined as existing iPhone customers who purchased PRIOR to July 11th. They also go on to say that it is easy to transfer your old iPhone to a friend.

Something in my guts tells me that on July 11th the old pricing plan goes out the window and ALL iphones, 2g and 3g, will be activated under the new pricing plan. Of course I am sure At&T will honor existing contracts, but I expect new activations will be treated as new iPhones.

jonnypaul

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2008
It is probably better to start handing down the old iphones now and activate at the $20 plans while it is still available.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
I talked with a local AT&T rep about this exact thing and he told me that the old iPhone would still only be $20 for data, even when giving it to someone. Seeing that AT&T released so much info today, I tend to think that their employees were briefed on such questions.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
I think the old phone would have the old pricing, especially since it is not on the 3G network. You would expect to pay more for 3G, or at least I would.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
The new data pricing has NOTHING to do with 3G - it is the standard AT&T unlimited data plan for all smart phones.

If you were AT&T, what plan price would you charge for a "new" 2G activation?

1. Lower fee plan that requires (or used to required) a % be paid to Apple

-or-

2. Higher fee, standard plan with NO % being paid to Apple

The new 3G deal between Apple and AT&T supersedes the old deal. I find it unlikely that either party would "grandfather" an old plan for new activations on a phone that is not even available at retail.

MSD401

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
i spoke with ATT today they are sending me a new "att" sim (still have a cingular one) the "old" iphone data plans are still available and can be activated through itunes.. you can even still get the 5 dollars m2m txting...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.