Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Review: Incase Slider vs. Seidio Inno.case for Ipod touch

Background:
So I have been on a search for the perfect case for my ipod touch 32gb (which incidentally, is no longer mine as I gave it to my sister for her birthday). Anyway I have been looking at these two cases for a while because certain features, and for the fact that the incase slider is one of the most recommended cases online (forums, apple, etc.). The inno.case has the same "sliding" capability, but with added features that made me want it. I am very anal about my things, and do a lot of research before settling on my gear.

My requirements which i think are reasonable:
- Thin and low profile - this is the most important point - I wanted something that kept the ipod touch how it was designed, thin and low profile.
- Something smooth to slip into the pocket - which means no silicone cases.
- Open face - The beauty of the ipod touch is really wasted when you are buying a case that covers up the face of the touch in any way. I opted for something, that while hid the back, kept the face open, with nothing overlapping the black ends of the touch.
- No clear cases thank you - I have had clear cases - they show off dust and collected gunk.
- Again, no silicon cases if i could help it - they are rubbery, they collect lint, they stretch, they are cheap, they slip around the player..etc.

Incase Slider
Initial Impressions:
The slider is only available in glossy black and white for now, with the slider 2 coming out with 5 more colors and a rubbery coat. I didn't know about the slider 2 until after I ordered my inno.case, but this review is for the item that so many people rave about. I have to say, out of the box, the slider is sexy. Its so clean and shiny, and fits really well with the ipod...that is until you start using it.

With the Powersupport Antiglare Film:
I have a powersupport antiglare film on my ipod (which I will review a bit later). With the antiglare film properly aligned, and the extra crystal clear film on the back of the ipod (which comes in with the antiglare), the ipod fits rather snuggly into the incase slider. BUT IT DOES FIT. The corners of the film do not bubble or curl up if you align the film right so be extra careful if you want to use this combination.

In the Case:
With the ipod in the case, it is very snug and firm, no depressions or feelings of empty space between the ipod and the case. No movement around the case. You can remove the bottom part of the case pretty easily and dock your ipod with the other half still on...very convenient if you have a dock you want to utilize.

Ports:
Great alignment for the dock and headphones and sleep button. In fact, very great because the opening for the dock is smaller and covers up the parts of the ipod besides the dock and headphone jack. Impeccable design.

Downside:
Unfortunately with all the good things about this case...the biggest downside is that : IT SCRATCHES THE BACK OF YOUR IPOD. I read about some issues with scratches and to be safe put the film on the back of my ipod, and thank goodness I did. Scratches came in the form of long lines down the clear plastic backing (which could be due to added thickness, but I can only assume it would do the same thing to the metal finish). Scratches also appeared on the sides of the ipod which I think came from sliding the ipod in and out of the case itself...and these look like someone too steel wool to it. BEWARE. Another downside: FINGERPRINT MAGNET. After using the case for about a week, it felt disgusting to hold. I may have overly greasy hands or something, but I wash them often and keep them dry and this thing...you can see the swirls of oils.

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Pros:
Slim and thin, firm, snug, available at Apple store
Cons:
Scratches your ipod, fingerprint magnet, pricey at 34.95, no screen protector

Seidio Inno.case
Initial Impressions:
Out of the box, this thing is sexy on a totally different level compared to the Incase Slider. The first thing I noticed was was silky velvety feel of the rubberized coating of the case. It was so smooth, and not sticky at all like other rubber. It made the case very easy to grip. I imagine you can get some fingerprints on there if you have oily hands, but it was very clean when I was touching the case to feel it. The inno.case has a felt/velvet inner lining that appears to protect the ipod from scratches. Nice addition. Like the incase slider, the bottom portion comes off for you to dock the player easily while leaving the rest of the case on.

With the powersupport antiglare film
DOES NOT FIT. When sliding the same player into the case, the fit was much tooo snug. It lifted and bubbled the film unfortuantely rendering it completely unacceptable to me. The added thickness of the film on the back must have made the player much too big to fit in the case. It required forcing the player in - much more muscle than I wanted to use. Trying to put the bottom part of the case on was useless..I was left with a gap between the the two sides of the case. Very unfortunate because I really wanted to like this case.

In the case:
Can''t comment more than I have already. I imagine the case to fit nicely with ipods that have no screen or back protectors...but it is unrealistic to believe that people who purchased ipods would go sans such things.

Downside:
Aside from fit issues, the bottom of this case is somewhat harder to attach/put on..much more than the slider. There are tiny little latches that need to be aligned on each side. This is a minor annoyance, because once the bottom is put on, the case is nice. The other downside to this case would be just another minor one...the dock opening on the bottom extends for the whole bottom of the case. I like the slider's bottom end more because it protects more.

Pros:
Coating of the case, slim, low profile, felt lining, snug (I imagine)
Cons:
Did not fit the ipod with powersupport film, hard to attach bottom part of case, dock opening, 34.95 from seidioonline.com

Photos: Don't really have any because of the fit. Don't really want to force the ipod in again.

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

Comparison of Incase Slider and Seidio Inno.case
- If you read the review, you know the gist of the cases. But comparing the two cases, they are virtually the same size and shape, same thickness -both very low profile. If the Seidio inno.case had fit with the powersupport film, I would have chucked the Incase for it. However since it didn't, my only choice is to wait for the Slider 2 which was just announced by Incase. The new slider will come in 5 different colors, have the same aspects of the current slider with the exception of the added rubberized coating.

Some pics of both.

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
The Seidio Inno.case looks really nice, where can I find it though?

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
I ordered the Incase Slider and Anti Glare strips the other day and they will be coming tomorrow.

I never heard they scratch the sides of the iPod, but only the back. But I will have the back screen protector on from the start.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I did a lot of research on the slider, and it does indeed scratch the back of your ipod. (A few LONNNNG hideous lines). The case on the sides is very snug as well, and scratches along the sides of the ipod where there is no protection. If you could take note of that and report your findings, I think that would be great for the community.

XxCH3AT3RxX

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
Well there is a video on youtube of a kid showing the back of his iPod and the long scratches it had. But then he put down a piece of paper and it worked, but the damage was already done. That person and others never reported any scratches along the side, but you never know. Personally, once I have the anti glare strips on the front and back and I slide the case on, without forcing, then it is never coming off. :p

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Ok, so I ended up purchasing the seidio case from peapody, and I love it! I have the anti-glare strips on my touch, but removed the back piece for better fit, and the velvety lining seems like it will do enough to prevent scratches. It still took a bit of finagling to get the bottom piece snapped in correctly, but it seems very secure now that it's on. Not sure if I would recommend this case to someone who would be removing it regularly for docking, though. Overall, I love the sleek, slim feel and appearance, it doesn't detract from the touch's beauty, and the rubberized finish is very nice, I don't need to worry about fingerprints everywhere like with the incase slider, and it's less slippery so less fear of dropping. The button on the back is a bit less "sexy" than the back of the incase, but that's not a deal. In total I would give it an 8 out of 10. I took some pix but having trouble uploading them, I'll try again later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.