Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider reports that they now have corroborating infomration that Apple will be updating their PowerMac line at MacWorld San Francisco 2004.

The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations. Previous notes, however, had indicated that IBM was producing chips as fast as 2.6GHz at this time. Other expectations remain the same with the use of 90nm PowerPCs, 533MHz DDR II RAM, a faster system bus (up to 1.5GHz).

Xserve updates are also expected, but few details are available.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
I could definatly see this happening. It would be nice to see new Powermacs. They are running behind on speed now. And Xserves.. everyone knows how outdated they are.

paulypants

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Xserves should be up to about 2.6 Ghz
by the end of january, powermacs may not be that fast but hopefully will equal that at the high end--I'm still waiting to get one til it gets over 3Ghz

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
nice!

All I have to say is ...

WOOOOHOOO!!!!

But I would still like to see some kind of powerbook update.

Hickman

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
AI has a good record of late, no?

Well these seem reasonable, though doubtless some will find reasons to complain:

Th1S SuXX0Rs, wh3R3 is teh 3Ghz PowerMaxxx0rzz?

and so on.....

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Maybe they are holding off on the 2.6 until they release the 2.8 and 3.0Ghz PM's?

All I know is the 3Ghz PM is mine or 3.2 if it's out by then as well.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Nice....

and my processor running at 867 MHZ... I need that improvement for my next PB...

Great for the next owners of those babies...

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Re: nice!

Originally posted by Brian Hickman
All I have to say is ...

WOOOOHOOO!!!!

But I would still like to see some kind of powerbook update.

Hickman

I could see them updating the chassis of the PB model line. Revision to the screens if they haven't already been implemented and speed bumps.

1.42 = 17inch
1.33 = 15inch
1.25 = 12inch

This also reminds me I'll be buying a G5 PB as well whenever they come out this yr. and maybe new iPod if new ones are kick ass.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well, always nice to hear possible processor updates, tho I'm hoping Apple is prepared to deliver should there be an overwhelming demand for the high-end model.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
What I'm wondering is when we see the 3Ghz PM will it have a 2Ghz FSB? If so these suckers will kick some ass.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
These nunbers seem reasonable. It would be nice if all three where duals. I'm waiting for this revision to go G5 since I got the budget approval from the finance department (a.k.a.:wife).
Even a single 2 would be a monster with 1Ghz bus!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Originally posted by TomSmithMacEd
They are running behind on speed now.

uhhh... am i missing something? how are they behind on speed when they JUST CAME OUT? that being said... new is always good. i might have to get one if this turns out to be true... birthday is coming up

fussball

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
If Apple update the G5 towers and XServes, along with some i-applications.. I wonder if still hoping for PB updates will be too much? It's all I really want, come on guys!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
The best information available to the rumor site indicates that the new models will come in at 2.0Ghz, 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz configurations.
Hmmm, thinking out loud...

Will they be duals all across?
Will the low end model be single-CPU (seems likely)?
Will the new lineup take the prices of the current lineup, from $1799 to $2999?
Will the price drop on existing models be such that the current king of the hill (dual 2GB) matches (or approximates) the price of the new (single?) 2GHz? Seems unlikely because that could mean dropping from $3000 to $2000.

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
problem with the mobo

Originally posted by ITR 81
Maybe they are holding off on the 2.6 until they release the 2.8 and 3.0Ghz PM's?

All I know is the 3Ghz PM is mine or 3.2 if it's out by then as well.

I think the highest processor speed for the coming revision of PM will be 2.4-2.5GHz, I think this is the max the FSB can support (1.2-1.25GHz). I mean just imagine PC world is still at 800MHz...
I have raed somewhere that for a 3GHz PM, this can not be installed on the existing mother board model. (probably due to FSB)
I rather think ofthe info reported by appleinsider and macbidouille.com of a multiprocessor Xserve 3U for making big cluster.

it has to be faster than the PPC970 1U blade server developped by IBM, so I guess Apple will go multiprocessors and higher end server...
this could correspond to the yesterday news regarding entreprise/larger business unit that Apple would like to developp....

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
at least 1.5GHz

Originally posted by ITR 81
What I'm wondering is when we see the 3Ghz PM will it have a 2Ghz FSB? If so these suckers will kick some ass.
3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.
now I would imagine than the nex mother board will be able to get 3GHz+ G5, so let say a FSB on a new mobo which will be able to accomodate FSB between 1.5GHz and 2GHz (the latest meaning a G5 at 4GHz...)
without forgetting than in that case the RAM needs to run also to corresponding level.

willmg

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
MA
I dont understand the need for DDR2 memory, in fact that may be a mistake as DDR2 is quite rare at the moment and most is being used only with High end graphics boards like 5700Ultra/5950Ultra. There is DDR1 memory currently at 533MHz sold by high end memory companies like OCZ and Mishkin, which could be used in these systems and would be much more resonably priced.

From Win to Mac

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2001
Montreal, Canada
AppleInsider says...

that we'll get DUAL 2.0, DUAL 2.2 and DUAL 2.4 Ghz in January. This means that the price for the low-end PowerMac will go up again, to the level it was when they launched the G5 :mad:

Oh well, i'll have to pay 300$ more. :p

bathysphere

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2003
Re: at least 1.5GHz

Originally posted by eric67
3GHz PM means by defitions a FSB of at least 1.5GHz, which is not possible on the current mother board/FSB.
3ghz means a fsb of MAXIMUM at 1.5 ghz, and if they don't have new motherboards, lower.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: at least 1.5GHz

Originally posted by eric67
now I would imagine than the nex mother board will be able to get 3GHz+ G5, so let say a FSB on a new mobo which will be able to accomodate FSB between 1.5GHz and 2GHz (the latest meaning a G5 at 4GHz...)
without forgetting than in that case the RAM needs to run also to corresponding level.
don't you guys bother reading the actual articles?

Appleinsider:
Meanwhile, the new units -- dubbed the Power Mac 8,1 -- have been rumored to sport a revised logic-board and 'U3 revision II' controller that will add support for 533MHz DDR II RAM, as well as supporting a front side bus (FSB) of up to 1.5GHz
The January revision will most definitely have a revised logic board supporting a FSB of up to 1.5 ghz. That means to go beyond 3 ghz, they'll need to revise the board yet again. But then, the 3ghz+ Power Macs are supposed to support the yet-unannounced 980s which will require yet another logic board revision. This is quite a development path for Apple. New chips and new motherboards every six months!

Also in the article: with the cooler-running 970s, heatsinks and/or fans will get smaller allowing more room for HDs, possibly up to four HDs for a terabyte of storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.