Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I bought a DVD a few months ago that came with a digital copy you could put on a computer. I put that copy on my laptop...is there a way I can put that movie in iTunes and then put it on my iPhone???
The file type is .wmv

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I'm not 100% sure, but have you tried the File > Import File into library option? Thats how I import my non-iTunes purchases into my iTunes library, just not sure if it would work for movies or not. Worth a shot :)

guitarguy09

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2008
"The Good Land"
I typically rip DVDs with Handbrake. There are settings to rip to the format/size/resolution of the actual iPhone, ipod, etc. However, typically I think if your file size is an ok resolution/size then you can just try dragging the file into iTunes (at least for .wmv songs it automatically asks if you want to convert the file format... which you do).

However, I am not an expert on this so others may be better able to explain. Good luck.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
WMV is not compatible with iPhone/iPod... download handbrake and convert it..
Just to add to this ...

Use handbrake to convert the DVD, not the WMV file. The WMV file will be useless for the iPod.

Handbrake is available for both Mac and Windows. There's a Linux version as well.

ft

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I typically rip DVDs with Handbrake. There are settings to rip to the format/size/resolution of the actual iPhone, ipod, etc. However, typically I think if your file size is an ok resolution/size then you can just try dragging the file into iTunes (at least for .wmv songs it automatically asks if you want to convert the file format... which you do).

However, I am not an expert on this so others may be better able to explain. Good luck.

WMA songs will only convert on the Windows version of iTunes. And even then, only unprotected WMAs will work.

AFAIK, iTunes will not convert WMVs, protected or otherwise.

Just use Handbrake and convert the DVD. If it's a newer DVD that chokes Handbrake, you can use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD and then Handbrake to convert. If you're on a PC, DVDFabDecrpyter is free and would be used instead of MTR. Then use Handbrake to convert to h264 or mpeg-4.

ft

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
WMA songs will only convert on the Windows version of iTunes. And even then, only unprotected WMAs will work.

AFAIK, iTunes will not convert WMVs, protected or otherwise.

Just use Handbrake and convert the DVD. If it's a newer DVD that chokes Handbrake, you can use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD and then Handbrake to convert. If you're on a PC, DVDFabDecrpyter is free and would be used instead of MTR. Then use Handbrake to convert to h264 or mpeg-4.

ft

Ok I have handbrake...but for some reason when I try to find the file using the program it doesn't even see it on my desktop...??

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
Just Google "convert files for iPhone." There will be a handful of programs that will let you convert movie files for playback on the iPhone. Might try adding the word "free" just so you don't have to pay anything. It's worked fine for me and only takes about 15 mins for large movie files.:apple:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Just Google "convert files for iPhone." There will be a handful of programs that will let you convert movie files for playback on the iPhone. Might try adding the word "free" just so you don't have to pay anything. It's worked fine for me and only takes about 15 mins for large movie files.:apple:
The problem is that the digital copies included on DVDs have DRM protection on it. I don't know of any utilities that can convert these files ... not that they don't exist.

For best results anyway, you might as well rip the original DVD. The digital copies have smaller resolutions/higher compression and even if the conversion was possible, the resultant MPEG-4 file would probably look like crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.