Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Got a 1.83ghz coreduo macbook with 2gb ram 120gb hard-disk running Lepoard

Went to copy a file onto a USB flashdrive earlier only to find it didn't mount the flashdrive.

The drive was an 8gb sandisk crusier that I think is formatted as fat32.

So then I tried a 2gb sandisk crusier and a 1Gb Kingston flashdrive, again the same.

I'm 99.9% sure that these drives are all fat32 formatted and they were formatted to somethign the Mac couldn't read i'd expect them to show up in disc utility?

The only place They did show up is if I look under USB in system profiler it does Show the device as connected and correctly displays information about the drive (power usage, Manufacturer, revision.etc)

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Dang, the last sentance mucked up my diagnosis of dead port. :rolleyes:

Have you rebooted?

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Dang, the last sentance mucked up my diagnosis of dead port. :rolleyes:

Have you rebooted?

Yep tried that.

Will try something else in the USB ports later to make sure they're not dead. I really hope they're not because I use them fairly regularly.

Edit:

Well tried a USB modem (E220) and a USB Mouse

The mouse worked but the modem (even when connected to both ports) failed to work correctly, it powers up but Launch2net cant find it.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
Well not sure what the problem was, other than it Must have been Software and not Hardware.

Popped the OSX DVD in and Did an "Archive and install" and selected the option to keep my existing user accounts/network settings

That seemed to fix the problem.

Also Updated to latest release via software update, and USB is still working.

Best guess is something to do with how OSX sees USB devices must have got corrupted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.