Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
I have the wireless keyboard and mouse with my imac.. I have been trying to reset my pram, but it will not happen because at the point where i need to press the keys, the keyboard has not yet connected to the imac, so therefore nothing happens...

Is there anyway around this???

Thanks P.........

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
Ok thanks for the advice...

But on a non apple keyboard, What would be the command key??

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Actually, Apple does support startup key sequences using the Apple Wireless Keyboard as long as you have built-in Bluetooth or using the D-Link DBT-120 Bluetooth USB Adapter.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86651#faq6

I'm using an Apple Wireless Keyboard with a Mac mini, and I have no problem resetting the PRAM. There's one trick though. Apple normally recommends holding down the command-option-P-R keys for about 3 reboots. With the wireless keyboard, you have to let go of the keys after each reboot and hold them again as soon as you hear each startup chime. If I keep the keys held down the entire time, I can only get the Mac mini to reboot once.

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
You do not need a wired keyboard since the wireless is using BT which is instantly on.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
You do not need a wired keyboard since the wireless is using BT which is instantly on.

Any key presses that have to be done on boot up have to be done with a wired keyboard, as the at that point in the boot sequence the keyboard has not been recognised.

I have been there seen it and done it as they say........................

I went wireless keyboard and mouse for a while, I see no point it other than it
gives money to the battery makers.

Wireless keyboard and mouse is like filling ink cartridges, it is a misconception.

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
Any key presses that have to be done on boot up have to be done with a wired keyboard, as the at that point in the boot sequence the keyboard has not been recognised.

This is what I thought....

Peruvian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
U.K.
On a sidenote... Do I need the wired keyboard and mouse if i want to do a fresh install of leopard???

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
Any key presses that have to be done on boot up have to be done with a wired keyboard, as the at that point in the boot sequence the keyboard has not been recognised..

That's not true. Did you look at my link?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86651#faq6

It specifically says, "If your computer has built-in Bluetooth or the D-Link DBT-120 (Rev B2 or later) adapter, you can use the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse to initiate most startup commands."

I have a Mac mini attached to my HDTV, and I only use an Apple Wireless Keyboard with it. I use startup key sequences all the time.

Apple would not offer the option of choosing a wireless keyboard when you order a computer if you couldn't use it to initiate a startup command. Startup commands are an integral part of a Mac's functionality.

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
On a sidenote... Do I need the wired keyboard and mouse if i want to do a fresh install of leopard???

You don't need a wired keyboard and mouse for an OS install (especially since you don't need them for anything, as like a previous commenter pointed out, boot commands work with them)

docblasto

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Resurrecting a dead thread, I know.

This is the first result in Google, so I thought I'd clear up a fundamental misunderstanding that doesn't seem to be adequately covered anywhere online.

The Bluetooth keyboards have a little green light at the upper right hand corner. This light comes on during the chime, but NOT at the very start, to tell you that the keyboard is connected. You have to wait until the light comes on before pressing your startup keys. Any keys that you begin holding before that light comes on will be ignored

I had to figure this out myself through trial and error because every other site tells you that the keyboard should respond the moment the chime begins to sound.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
From my experience my new iMac won't allow me to use my bluetooth peripherals (magic trackpad & wireless Kbd) until a few seconds after the computer reachers the login screen.

They don't respond at all to the computer, and I have to wait until a green light appears on them showing they have synced up.

Does anyone else have this?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have held down the appropriate keys on my wireless keyboard many times at bootup and been able to set PRAM, choose the boot disc, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.