Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
I'm currently in my local shopping centre. The o2 store is currently being fitted with 3g iPhone stands and posters. Photos to come later. Interestingly it says "pay as you go version due later this year" which cements the rumours that it isn't available at launch.

I have also visited my local apple store, there is a notice on the genius bar saying "please note the genius bar will be closed on July 11th for the launch of the 3g iPhone". When I asked about it, nobody wanted to comment.

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
I'm currently in my local shopping centre. The o2 store is currently being fitted with 3g iPhone stands and posters. Photos to come later. Interestingly it says "pay as you go version due later this year" which cements the rumours that it isn't available at launch.

I have also visited my local apple store, there is a notice on the genius bar saying "please note the genius bar will be closed on July 11th for the launch of the 3g iPhone". When I asked about it, nobody wanted to comment.

Good news - I hope this means that the stores are going to be in a better position to answer questions about the launch!

--
BG

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Thanks for the info.

Yes, stores should now be briefed either over the weekend,
or first thing Monday morning.

Hopefully.

Would love to see pics if you manage to get them up! :cool:

R-Fly

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Brilliant --- keep us informed..

i really hope they dont mean that the iPhone 3g will take as long as 'later on this year' to launch... thats terrible..

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Brilliant --- keep us informed..

i really hope they dont mean that the iPhone 3g will take as long as 'later on this year' to launch... thats terrible..

I think it's just the PAYG option which o2 may be stalling over, for an early September launch.

Makes sense. They'll catch the holiday crowd.

Seems like their priority is to sign as many people into a new 18/month contract, as possible, on July 11th.

R-Fly

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Bugger.

The brighton muppet show (O2 store) has also been refurb over the last week or so.

Very bad news for PAYG.:mad:

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
OMG. This is the worst news!

Grrrrrrrr i am so angry! I saw this poster yesterday and didnt think to read it!

:mad::mad:

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Delaying PAYG makes sense if production of the handsets did only fully begin last month. They will concentrate on stock for contract customers until the stock supply is plentiful.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Delaying PAYG makes sense if production of the handsets did only fully begin last month. They will concentrate on stock for contract customers until the stock supply is plentiful.

It's like any new mobile really. Tend to have them on contract only for a good few months until the shine has worn away, then they stick it on PAYG.

Not a big surprise.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
It's like any new mobile really. Tend to have them on contract only for a good few months until the shine has worn away, then they stick it on PAYG.

Not a big surprise.

Why do so many want it on Pay&Go? It is very expensive, and unless you use practically no voice or texts, will cost you much more in the long run too.

Also, don't forget that you have to pay for data after 6 months. If you spend any more than a tenner a month, go with contract. Otherwise you will pay more over 18 months.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Why do so many want it on Pay&Go? It is very expensive, and unless you use practically no voice or texts, will cost you much more in the long run too.

Also, don't forget that you have to pay for data after 6 months. If you spend any more than a tenner a month, go with contract. Otherwise you will pay more over 18 months.

Nah I completely agree. Don't see the point in PAYG unless you can't get a contract because of your age or bad credit.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Nah I completely agree. Don't see the point in PAYG unless you can't get a contract because of your age or bad credit.

Well if you don't use the phone to call people on a regular basis and want it primarily for mobile Internet and email access then the PAYG makes great financial sense.

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
I want it on PAYG as i do not want the commitment! Simple.

I will have to buy sombodys they don't want on eBay!

:D

tico24

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
Wow...the iphone camera is crap!

It says about the pay as you go thing on the blue box in the middle of the store. You can JUST make it out if you have the photo set to maximum zoom. I apologise for the crap photojournalism!

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 282

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK

I've always been on contract as it makes sense, but this time around i cant upgrade with O2 till October and after that i may be in OZ, so it makes no sense now to start another contract. PAYG works for me in this situation, even though the initial outlay is hefty. Of course if i was staying in the UK for the next 18 months i'd go the contract route.

For some people PAYG works.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK

As i mentioned above, it has nothing to do with bad credit or my age! (i wish it was for my age!:D)

sdm1985

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008

It says about the pay as you go thing on the blue box in the middle of the store. You can JUST make it out if you have the photo set to maximum zoom. I apologise for the crap photojournalism!

I truely am gutted now. There is no way i am going on contract ever again.

:(

Vereina

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Hampshire, UK

PAYG can actually be quite a bit cheaper. I will use the iPhone primarily for data and making calls from a single location, with only occasional outgoing calls from other locations. So, if the PAYG details that were briefly on the O2 website are correct, I will save between £60 and £135 over the 18 months, compared to the £35 pcm contract (and then £10-£15 pcm thereafter).

Raymen

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2008
Truro, Cornwall, UK
I would have it on PAYG - mainly as where I live, in the dark depths of Cornwall ... 02 has either very poor or no coverage. They just cover my workplace and don't seem to cover my home address. So if the price is right I would have it PAYG ..... then it hopfully won't be locked into being on 02 like the contact version inevitably will be... or I won't bother if I hear 02 payg lock in plans... but I certainly won't be having it till much later in the year after the initial madness has calmed down a bit.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Ok, so one question i have.

If PAYG isnt an option for me (see my above situation) has anyone come up with a plan that would involve signing a new contract and then somehow getting out of it or lowering the monthly costs after 9 months?

I know with O2 at them moment i can only drop down one tariff per month after being in it for 9 months.

Any ideas?

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Ok, so one question i have.

If PAYG isnt an option for me (see my above situation) has anyone come up with a plan that would involve signing a new contract and then somehow getting out of it or lowering the monthly costs after 9 months?

I know with O2 at them moment i can only drop down one tariff per month after being in it for 9 months.

Any ideas?

I doubt it as they are heavily subsiding the phone and want to re-coop their costs

--Zed

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK

One thing I've found helps a lot is to have some iClear handy - the lens gets fingerprints/smudges all the time due to its location (and no lens cover) which makes it worse than it already is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.