Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajthomason

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi Guys,

Although I would prefer a PAYG iPhone 3G, I'm still thinking about signing a contract on the 11th. I'm away from home Monday - Friday and would be buying the phone in an O2 store not local to me. What information would I have to have with me for them to do credit checks, set up payments and anything else they want to do? (e.g., do they need a passport / drivers licence etc. or just a credit card and address?)

I've never been on contract before (never seen the need), so I'll need to know everything so I can take it with me on Monday and have it with me when/if I purchase the iPhone.

Thanks.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I believe they will need a photo ID, so driving license or passport would be fine. i think driving license would be better, as that is also proof of address. And also the debit card you wish to pay by. I believe that is all you'll need. Please add to this if there is anything else.

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
Hi Guys,

Although I would prefer a PAYG iPhone 3G, I'm still thinking about signing a contract on the 11th. I'm away from home Monday - Friday and would be buying the phone in an O2 store not local to me. What information would I have to have with me for them to do credit checks, set up payments and anything else they want to do? (e.g., do they need a passport / drivers licence etc. or just a credit card and address?)

I've never been on contract before (never seen the need), so I'll need to know everything so I can take it with me on Monday and have it with me when/if I purchase the iPhone.

Thanks.

This is a question I'd like answering also - at a guess I'd say bring credit card for any initial payment (like buying the handset!), ID like drivers license or passport, and they may need a utility bill of some kind.

Of course, O2 could tell us the answers to all these questions.... :)

--
BG

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I did my pre-order credit check on Monday this week.

They needed a valid debit or credit card and details of the bank account you want the direct debit taking from (I'm guessing it has to be in your name ;) ) - that's it! I was surprised as well.

You will also need to tell them your name, d.o.b., current address, previous address (if less that 5[?] years at current address) and post code, how long with current employer and that's about it.

That said I'll be at the store with all the ID I can find [including a letter from my mum! EDIT: Joke - I'm 40]

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
I've just called four stores around Birmingham - they all offered similar information. A debit card, bank account number and sort code is all you apparently need - they don't need any ID. Although I suspect I'll take it anyway!

--
BG

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
I've just called four stores around Birmingham - they all offered similar information. A debit card, bank account number and sort code is all you apparently need - they don't need any ID. Although I suspect I'll take it anyway!

--
BG

Maybe it's just that I've not taken out any credit for a wile but I was really shocked that they need so little! I expect it's all on bl**dy computers these days!!

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
Maybe it's just that I've not taken out any credit for a wile but I was really shocked that they need so little! I expect it's all on bl**dy computers these days!!

The credit check is a very basic check to make sure that you're not someone who can't actually afford to keep paying them £xx every month. By insisting on direct debit, it means they're taking money from an account that you have to keep funded anyway.

--
BG

deccoo

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
London, UK
When activating my 1st gen iPhone I was stalled due to further checks! The most annoying 5hrs of my life - iPhone in hand but unable to use it.

In the end it was nothing to do with dodgy credit but because I had moved relatively recently and wasn't on the electoral role. I then needed to provide the details of either my passport or drivers license to complete registration. As such, I think it would be safe to bring one of those two with you!

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
When activating my 1st gen iPhone I was stalled due to further checks! The most annoying 5hrs of my life - iPhone in hand but unable to use it.

In the end it was nothing to do with dodgy credit but because I had moved relatively recently and wasn't on the electoral role. I then needed to provide the details of either my passport or drivers license to complete registration. As such, I think it would be safe to bring one of those two with you!

Good advice. As I posted earlier I'll be taking anything I can find on the morning of the launch!!!

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
Good advice. As I posted earlier I'll be taking anything I can find on the morning of the launch!!!

Something else worth considering - check that the thing works before you go home! It's likely the staff will have to activate the phone for you if the rumours are true - in which case this shouldn't be a problem.

It's rare of course for a handset to be 'dead on arrival' - but it's happened to people before in the launch of other popular devices (games consoles etc) - they get it home, find it doesn't work and then return to the store .. only to find they've sold out and can't offer them anything other than a refund.

--
BG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.