Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Ok, so I went into the O2 shop and Carphone Warehouse on my way home tonight and this is what they told me...

O2 Shop.

Didn't know what time they'd be opening, said it would be earlier than usual.
Didn't know the stock they'd be getting but expected there to be plenty
Couldn't Pre-Order
Couldn't open a contract before the 11th.
However, they did have this poster up in the window...

Image014.jpg

Carphone Warehouse

He said they would not be getting 16Gig. Only 8Gig and 16 launches later in the year. Hope this isn't the same for the O2 shop.
Couldn't Pre-Order.
Opening at the same time as usual.
Plenty of stock.
Tried to tell me tariffs, but really had no clue. Ended by saying 'Shouldn't have told you any of that.' Even though it's been freely available since the keynote. :rolleyes:

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
Where was the photo taken? Highstreet or shopping centre? That pretty much confirms 8:02 either way though. Good stuff.

danielforman

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2007
I saw a poster like that in my local O2 store today but I don't think it said 8.02am on it just "Available from Friday 11 July". Will check tomorrow though when I go past.

If they don't have 16gig versions at the launch then a lot of people will be very dissappointed and annoyed. I have an 8gb first gen and it's full up already. Would prefer to get a bigger capacity one though on Friday. Plus would be bad business to not offer the more expensive one on the launch.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
does anyone know if the "no 16GB model available" bit applies to the U.S. as well, or is that something specific to the UK (or even that particular store)? I plan on getting a 16GB model and am already sick of waiting this long to get it...

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
does anyone know if the "no 16GB model available" bit applies to the U.S. as well, or is that something specific to the UK (or even that particular store)? I plan on getting a 16GB model and am already sick of waiting this long to get it...

Tbh, I wouldn't read too much into that. For one thing I think it could be Carphone Warehouse in the UK, and really, he didn't have a clue. For a second he thought it was launching tomorrow.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
More info at Macworld.co.uk

Not confirmed by any means as it's only a readers report but Macworld.co.uk are confident enough to publish the following:

The revelations continue that from Monday 7 July customers will be able to pre-order the iPhone 3G online.

Customers who order online will be able to collect it instore on the 11th.

Customers who pre-order will receive a 'Welcome Pack' and a 'VIP ticket' (presumably to be able to jump the queue instore on the launch day).

If true this will be much better than being forced to wait in all day for a delivery etc.

I guess/hope we find out more on Monday.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=21905

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I would guess that in order for O2 to be able to process everything in time that they would have to announce the process for getting an upgrade on Monday.
I mean if they only announced it on Thursday then they would not leave themselves much time to process orders and stuff.

So hopefully we will see more information on Monday.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Not confirmed by any means as it's only a readers report but Macworld.co.uk are confident enough to publish the following:

This is the same macworld that reprinted the electricpig BS earlier, with zero checking?

We've already discussed that article, btw.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
It's all just madness isn't it? .. we're all reporting different things from the alleged same sources! lol .. Carphone Warehouse and O2 have never had so much free publicity *grin* ... my local Carphone Warehouse have categorically said that there will be 8GB and 16GB and even the white ones! .. I have no idea if this is true or not and suspect we won't know for sure until the day itself!

waaaaaahhhhhhhhh I want July 11th already! lol

Loopy who is getting Loopy-er each day ..

Anteros

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
UK
So they don't know when they are opening yet they have a poster in the window saying it's available from 8:02 :D

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
So they don't know when they are opening yet they have a poster in the window saying it's available from 8:02 :D

I'm not sure these people should be trusted with BluTac without a competent adult in attendance. Do you think the 'special bus' will be picking all the staff up early on Friday?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.