Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luckyword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
That is, if I'm reading an article, and I put the cursor at the bottom of the scroll bar, and click once, Firefox will scroll two or three sections sometimes. This is very annoying, and didn't happen in Firefox 2.0. To clarify, I'm reading, and I click once, and want the page to jump down one section, and instead it jumps two or three. I've experimented with autoscrolling on/off, and this doesn't help the problem. Should I switch back to Firefox 2.0? One solution is to position the cursor barely below where I want to go, so Firefox can't jump ahead, but I find this annoying and would just as soon switch back to 2.0. Please help. Thanks. David

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
This is probably not a problem with firefox3, Im using it right now, and I didn't see the problem..

maybe you can post two screen shot comparing before and after clicking? and see if we can confirm it.

If you want to try something for now, please do try a new profile

Luckyword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
It's gotta be firefox...

...'cause this doesn't happen in Firefox 2.0. But it does happen in 3.0.

nemodomi

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
a work-around

I've resorted to using the "page down" key, which still works appropriately.

Luckyword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Firefox problem with scrolling...

....okay, good, glad it's not just me. Does anyone out there have a solution to this prob. Should I just use Firefox 2.0, which didn't have this glitch?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Not use a scroll capable mouse?

For big long websites, I use the spacebar instead of having to move the cursor.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I still can't confirm the problem, so really can't contribute too much.

if you have a scrollable mice, other than method mentioned above, click scroll button once will bring up reference point, just move mice to scroll to the directions relative to the reference point.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,926

Luckyword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Firefox

I don't use a scrollable mouse, 'cause I'm on a Powerbook G3 400 Pismo, the best PB ever made! :)

carl2615

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Multiple page jumps, Firefox 3.0

Same problem, on multiple page jumps in Firefox 3.0.1 when advancing web page. Problem occurs when using both trackpad or "fn" and "pg dn" keys.
- non-scrolling trackpad
- iBook 500 running OS 10.4.11
- problem just appeared in August O8
Also, single page-down now is not a "jump", but "ratchets-down" in several small increments in Firefox 3.0.1.

Has anyone determined the cause and developed a solution?

Luckyword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Still doesn't work

I'm glad it's not just me. I switched back to 2.0 because of this annoying problem.

DjBlairQ

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Problem Solved

I had this same problem in Firefox 3 and I found the reason.

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced Tab > General Tab > Accessibility > and UN-CHECK 'Always use cursor keys to navigate within pages'.

This feature when checked puts the text cursor within the page to jump around between text and also highlight the links, making it click-able with the space bar key.

It worked for me.:D

DjBlairQ
djblairq@djblairq.com
http://www.djblairq.com

jennix

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
This is still the most annoying feature of ALL

All versions of Mozilla 3.x do this on Mac OSX, including Thunderbird, Flock, and all the other flavors. It sure would be nice if i didn't have to put up with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.