Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:24 PM   #1
brettbok
macrumors newbie

Add a text page to iDVD Project

I have a page of text that I would like to viewed after selecting a menu item from the main menu of my DVD.

After reading the page of text I would like a button to take me back to main menu.

Do I use titles? Do I create a photo of the text?

What's the best way to do this iDVD?
brettbok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:28 PM   #2
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbok View Post
I have a page of text that I would like to viewed after selecting a menu item from the main menu of my DVD.

After reading the page of text I would like a button to take me back to main menu.

Do I use titles? Do I create a photo of the text?

What's the best way to do this iDVD?
I would tackle that as a photo slideshow... make photos of the text, and you can have multiple slides to make reading it easy. You could even set the slide duration to "manual" and the set the Settings->Display Navigation Arrows option so that it gives the viewer a visual cue on how to get to the next page of text. It will auto return you back to where you came from when its done too.

Good luck!

Last edited by huntercr; Jul 6, 2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo
huntercr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 06:18 PM   #3
brettbok
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntercr View Post
I would tackle that as a photo slideshow... make photos of the text, and you can have multiple slides to make reading it easy. You could even set the slide duration to "manual" and the set the Settings->Display Navigation Arrows option so that it gives the viewer a visual cue on how to get to the next page of text. It will auto return you back to where you came from when its done to.

Good luck!
This is a great idea. I used Keynote to make TIFF files. For a one page of timed text, I used exported to a QT mov.

Way to go huntercr!
brettbok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 06:49 PM   #4
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettbok View Post
This is a great idea. I used Keynote to make TIFF files. For a one page of timed text, I used exported to a QT mov.

Way to go huntercr!
Why thank you! Sounds like it turned out great for you. I'm glad I could help.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:03 PM   #5
bensabio
macrumors newbie

How to add a text document to the DVD disc?

(this was an earlier draft that I accidentally posted, but can't figure out how to delete! Instead I just erased it. Sorry.

Last edited by bensabio; Sep 11, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
bensabio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:07 PM   #6
bensabio
macrumors newbie

How to add a text document as a data file to the DVD disc?

I hope someone is still looking at this old thread!

Making a slide show of the text would be OK for reading on screen, but I would like the DVD disc to contain - in addition to the video - a regular Word document file that can be opened, saved or printed. I know it can be done, since the BBC productions of Shakespeare's plays on DVD each contain a script of the play as separate files on the disc. If you insert the disc and open DVD player, it plays the video like any normal DVD, but if instead you click on the disc icon, you find there is a Word document icon in addition to the normal AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. (The video menu has a link to a "slide" that instructs the viewer to do this in order to access the script.) I have a project that I would like to do this with, and wonder how to make a DVD disc like that: so it plays the movie but also contains a data file that can be opened when the movie is not playing. Can this be done with some combination of iDVD and Roxio Toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
Ben
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:22 AM   #7
huntercr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensabio View Post
I hope someone is still looking at this old thread!

Making a slide show of the text would be OK for reading on screen, but I would like the DVD disc to contain - in addition to the video - a regular Word document file that can be opened, saved or printed. I know it can be done, since the BBC productions of Shakespeare's plays on DVD each contain a script of the play as separate files on the disc. If you insert the disc and open DVD player, it plays the video like any normal DVD, but if instead you click on the disc icon, you find there is a Word document icon in addition to the normal AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. (The video menu has a link to a "slide" that instructs the viewer to do this in order to access the script.) I have a project that I would like to do this with, and wonder how to make a DVD disc like that: so it plays the movie but also contains a data file that can be opened when the movie is not playing. Can this be done with some combination of iDVD and Roxio Toast? Thanks for any suggestions.
Ben
Ben, you're in luck! iDVD has support for this built in. As you are designing your iDVD menus etc, go to the Menu: "Advanced" -> Edit DVD-ROM contents.

You can add folders and and data files you want to this, and it will show up when the DVD is mounted in a computer.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:29 AM   #8
bensabio
macrumors newbie

huntercr: thanks so much for that fast reply!! I'll check it out later today as I put my little project together and let you know if it solves my problem. I really appreciate your helpful response!! (this is a great Forum!)

Ben

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video