Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
London
From everything I'm reading I have a feeling the white iPhone will NOT be available at launch. Anybody with any further info?

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
This amazes me. There is no reason why they wouldn't have it, is there? If I could buy a black MacBook on the day of launch, a 160gb iPod etc etc. Apple are canny enough to know that there is a gang of people waiting to upgrade their original iPhone who would be pretty annoyed if what they wanted wasn't available. It might be a race to get one alright, but they'll be there in the first place I'm sure.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
Why wouldn't it be? If it's only cosmetically different than the other 16 GB model, there shouldn't be a reason.

Got links to decent sources, not speculation?

Because a common theme from everyone asking about the white availability at O2/CPW around the country is that only blacks will be avail... Obviousily its all speculation, but it is consistant.

Petoz

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
UK
I would seem a bit ridiculous for the white not to be launched on 11th. It has been given as a colour for the 16GB, and i am sure many people would like the white. I don't know why it would not be available. That being said, nobody seems to know anything.

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
o2 hav just told me that there gonna hav confirmaition on what iPhones they'll hav some time in the middle of next week. He said only the 8gb is confirmed and there might b 16gb models

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
London
Well -- it ain't coming man -- read the threads for sources, be nerdy and get the light and join the queue and by the ticket. BUT all the stars are telling me that if I want to match the white landscape of my working table I better by a pot of paint.
I hope I'm wrong, as I want the thing in white! Now! Regrets -- I have many ;) frigging

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
What did Steve say? 1:39:50 of the WWDC keynote -
16GB model just $299 and for the 16GB model we also have something special, a white one.

16GB black ones will be at O2 stores. But you'll have to keep an ear out for what O2 tell their stores regarding White availability. There's a good chance it's just O2 not telling their staff that it'll be available.
Mods - any chance of rolling us a O2 thread that we can have all these similar threads in?

digmo

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Jeepers no white iphones ? add that to the other post that there are no 16GBs, you would wonder if there are going to be any at all.

I think I am going to put it all out of my head and just hope I get an upgrade next Friday :)

David

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
London
So it does seem now that the white will not show its face :( (based purely on the accumulation of info I'm reading round here)

Juo100

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking to a friend that works at a Carphone Warehouse this morning.

Him: yeah
Him: theres no white ones at launch

Me: ah that’s ok, I wanted black
Him: i checked yesterday and there was 5000+ 8GB in the warehouse
Me: I expect people will be queuing at your one as well
Him: possibly
Me: 5000 for the entire UK carphone warehouse supply?
Him: unless they get more then yeah

Please note this is just an MSN message with a friend. (Nothing official)

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
We've all read that O2 and CPW don't have white. The question is...what will the Apple Stores be selling?

hazdageez

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
100% No White Iphone (UK)

Just spoke (he rung me), to Stephen Shurrock ,02 Sales Director after an email i sent to Matthew Key regarding stocks of white iphones and he said definately no white on launch day. they would not follow for at least a couple of weeks as they tried to 'replenish stock throughout the summer'.

im gutted dont know whether to get the black now

thoughts?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Did you ask him if he thought it was a good idea for an email to go out from him to people who had complained about the lack of information on the white iPhone that made it quite clear that nobody had even read their complaint?

I wonder if I shall get a similar call to my follow up complaint. I would be interested to hear Mr Shurrock justify that rediculous 13,000 orders per second number on the phone.

Anyway, no white, no buy from me. And probably not ever - at the end of my 2G contract I'll probably jailbreak to get off O2 after this debacle.

Phazer

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Just spoke (he rung me), to Stephen Shurrock ,02 Sales Director after an email i sent to Matthew Key regarding stocks of white iphones and he said definately no white on launch day. they would not follow for at least a couple of weeks as they tried to 'replenish stock throughout the summer'.

im gutted dont know whether to get the black now

thoughts?
Surely this means no white from O2 stores - no mention of what the secretive Apple Stores will be selling - but as they've all got clear schedules on Friday (no workshops etc) I'm sure they'll be selling some iPhones...
It's got to be the white one for me.

hazdageez

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
After the initial generic response i got this morning, i sent a strong worded reply asking why he emailed apologising for something i hadnt even questioned him on and i went on to say had anyone even read my email because none of the questions i asked regarding white stock had even been addressed.

He did give me his mob number and said if i had any other questions i could call...

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
After the initial generic response i got this morning, i sent a strong worded reply asking why he emailed apologising for something i hadnt even questioned him on and i went on to say had anyone even read my email because none of the questions i asked regarding white stock had even been addressed.

He did give me his mob number and said if i had any other questions i could call...

That's more or less what I said. I may indeed get the same then I guess.

Phazer

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Pheeew…!

That was a close one. ;)
If the white had been available I would have been sorely tempted to replace my 1st gen iPhone. :p

So now I can act like a "responsible" adult and first see how my old iPhone works with the 2.0 software before rushing to buy a new one.

:D

hazdageez

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2008
Surely this means no white from O2 stores - no mention of what the secretive Apple Stores will be selling - but as they've all got clear schedules on Friday (no workshops etc) I'm sure they'll be selling some iPhones...
It's got to be the white one for me.

Yeah i hadnt thought of it that way. I guess Apple could stock the White version but it would be a very short sighted business move on their part as it would mean a significant part of the country wouldnt have access to an Apple store and therefoe a white iphone. Plus staff at Apple would have to deal with mobile phone sales, something their not trained to do.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
ok seeing as ive posted this info on about 5 other threads, i may as well make it 6

White 16gb will become available for first time on Aug 1st. Pre orders for it are starting on July 28th.

O2 are doing this Monday/Friday thing until stock is up to operational satisfaction..

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
ok seeing as ive posted this info on about 5 other threads, i may as well make it 6

White 16gb will become available for first time on Aug 1st. Pre orders for it are starting on July 28th.

O2 are doing this Monday/Friday thing until stock is up to operational satisfaction..
Yeah but what about the Apple stores rather than from an O2 store...:confused:

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I've just had a response to my complaint about Mr Sturrock's reply.

It states

"The iPhone 3G is currently only available in the UK in black. If a white variant becomes available in the future, it will be featured on our website."

Phazer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.