Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Some of my flicks are american films, but in parts another language is spoken and subtitles will automatically pop up when watching the flick on my tv. I read in another thread that to get these subtitles in your rips you need to under subtitles set it to auto select then click forced subs only and I should get a copy with only subtitles in the parts where they speak another language.. first off is this true? and if so can i set it in handbrake to always be like that for any movie by creating a preset? Will that screw up the encodings of films that dont have multiple languages? Thanks all!

iClamp

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have been having a few issues with this option when using Handbrake to encode some recent films. Also, I have been having trouble selecting the 'Auto-select' option. The films tends to want to display some of the closed-captioning, and/or audio-commentary prompts. So, I have found that selecting "Forced subtitles only" when you first select the 'audio' tab helps. The language should be set to 'No Language' at this moment still. Just don't touch the drop menu arrow. This has worked with no problems so far! I hope this helps!

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
I have been having a few issues with this option when using Handbrake to encode some recent films. Also, I have been having trouble selecting the 'Auto-select' option. The films tends to want to display some of the closed-captioning, and/or audio-commentary prompts. So, I have found that selecting "Forced subtitles only" when you first select the 'audio' tab helps. The language should be set to 'No Language' at this moment still. Just don't touch the drop menu arrow. This has worked with no problems so far! I hope this helps!

So I gave this a try with last of the mohicans last night (in the opening scene there is one of numerous times) that indian is spoken. And my end result didn't have subtitles for it when the film did... so perhaps it differs from flick to flick? anymore suggestions i can try? Thanks!

iClamp

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Charlotte, NC
so sorry that didn't work out for you with that film. yeah.. from what i am starting to find out, it does differ from film to film. i have had to redo a few films due to this. maybe try the film once again, but this time with 'autoselect' selected.. and forced subtitles only. i apologize for the inconvenience. i have also noticed on the handbrake forums that some people are sharing other experiences and working methods for subtitles. good luck my friend!

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Hah yea, I never thought before I started the quest to digitize my collection that it would be such a hassle... I gave the auto select a try as well and once again no dice... So now i'm going to try the english setting and see if that does anything.. Crossing my fingers on this one :) thanks for all your help! I'll give an update if this one works... I think this will be my 11th encode of this film haha... good thing it's one of my all time favorites...

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
So i've just figured it out! The cropping was cropping away the part that had the subtitles in the widescreen mode... so what I had to do it adjust the cropping distance... the problem now is that the black bars cause it to not be able to stretch to fill frame leaving 2 black bars on the sides... any ideas as to how to solve this problem???

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
One of the many reasons I'll contend disc-based video is going nowhere. There's no option on ATV for subtitles (or alternate audio), which has been standard on DVD since its birth. Therefore, no stuff like commentaries (which I love on some movies, especially cult stuff like Clerks).

I know HB's Web site says they can only put them on there or not, no embedding. I bet that's a video format thing since I don't think anything from iTunes has that either. I hope they start to change that as more people rent and buy stuff on there.

Personally, it would take a video package file with all the stuff that's on a DVD for me to start buying stuff from iTunes. There are too many extra features missed with just an m4v file!

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
So i've just figured it out! The cropping was cropping away the part that had the subtitles in the widescreen mode... so what I had to do it adjust the cropping distance... the problem now is that the black bars cause it to not be able to stretch to fill frame leaving 2 black bars on the sides... any ideas as to how to solve this problem???

You can set the manual cropping area for the sides (and top, too, for that matter) while leaving the bottom black bar.

There's no need to re-encode the whole film to test the settings, either -- just encode a chapter or two to make sure the film looks acceptable.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand

Handbreak always repositions the subs when cropping. Sounds like this title had burned in subs right from the start.

Cheers ed.

mtfield

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Handbreak always repositions the subs when cropping. Sounds like this title had burned in subs right from the start.

Cheers ed.
Yea, it's an older picture (circa '92) and i dont think the dvd was ever updated after the initial release... what a pain. bit i just finished getting it cropped right and now i have a perfect copy :) minus having a really large black area at the bottom... oh well looks good all and all! thanks for your help guys.. now on to the next ome:eek:

bsf31392

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
I got fed up last night and went with DVDRemaster. I tried encoding Lust Caution about 5 times with handbrake and I was never even able to get hard subtitles. With DVDR it worked like a Champ the very first time. Had to pay for it though and that truly sucked! I love foreign films so it will pay for itself in due time.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.