Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
samueldl84
macrumors newbie

OS X 10.4(tiger) network with macbook (leopard)

HI there,
I am having difficulty networking my two machines. One is a Mac book pro, running 10.5 Leopard and the other a G5 imac running 10.4 tiger . They both access the internet via the same wireless connection. My macbook can see my imac (in finder it appears under shared places), this i good as allows one way file sharing, however if i want to access my macbook from the imac i cannot seem to find it? I'm sure this is relatively simple to correct, and am looking for any help with this matter.

thanks for your ideas?
samueldl84 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:18 AM   #2
jjholly
macrumors member

On the Macbook. In System Preferences under the Sharing tab, is File Sharing switched on>
jjholly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2008, 04:43 AM   #3
DARKJ3DI
macrumors regular

i read somewhere on the web that ppc macs can't 'see' intel macs. I'm not sure if this is true or not since i've never networked to a ppc mac but it fits with what your saying.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:06 AM   #4
matt_randal
macrumors newbie

well my imac 400dv with tiger can see and connect to my imac 2.4 with leopard. so it does work
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKJ3DI View Post
i read somewhere on the web that ppc macs can't 'see' intel macs. I'm not sure if this is true or not since i've never networked to a ppc mac but it fits with what your saying.
Wrong. That's not true.

He just didn't remember that he turned on sharing on the G5 iMac (he probably done it years ago), and didn't turn on file sharing on the MBP (the default is off).
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #6
JAJ
macrumors member

well i am having the same problem as well, even though file sharing is turned on...im using bluetooth to send files between them because they will pair but finder won't recognize them
JAJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2010, 08:27 AM   #7
erasure
macrumors newbie

Figured out a way that works, though I'm not sure why. I had the same problem — MacBook Leopard could see iMac Tiger on network, but iMac could not see Leopard on network. On the MacBook, I had both AFP and SMB turned on because we also have a PC in the household. Apparently this causes some kind of conflict. If you only have Macs on the network, turn off SMB and leave AFP on. If you have a PC that needs to access the Leopard machine with password protection, turn off AFP and leave just SMB on.

To change this setting:
System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options...
erasure is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking