Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jul 7, 2008, 08:29 PM   #1
AstrosFan
macrumors 6502

Direct Buy - good furniture deals?

I've found the MacRumors crowd to be thoughtful & keen on purchasing power, so I wanted to ask some help with a non-Apple purchase.

Has anyone used Direct Buy or other home purchasing clubs to purchase large items (e.g. furniture)? What has your experience been?

I'm in the market to furnish several rooms in my house so would be interested to know what others have done to save money.

Thanks in advance!
AstrosFan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
MLeepson
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to MLeepson
I've heard some pretty bad things about DirectBuy. My aunt was interested in them, so she called, no one answered, and she left a message. They called back when she wasn't there, didn't leave a voicemail, and then kept on calling back. They called about five times.

Just Google Direct Buy and you get of these scam warning sites.

P.S. some of their commercials are really annoying
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Isn't that the outfit that oh-so-graciously charges you money for the privilege of spending money at their store? Rather like McDonalds charging you 50¢ to walk in the door and buy a sandwich.

I think not.

There looks to be some really good information here. might be worth a look.
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/furniture.htm
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:46 AM   #4
AstrosFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvusCamenarum View Post
Isn't that the outfit that oh-so-graciously charges you money for the privilege of spending money at their store? Rather like McDonalds charging you 50¢ to walk in the door and buy a sandwich.

I think not.
I understand what you mean, but the business model of paying a membership fee to shop somewhere isn't a novel one. Places like Costco & Sam's Club generate a significant portion of their revenue from membership fees.

To me the real issue is whether the merchandise/service provided justifies the cost of membership. I have a Costco membership which I gladly renew each year b/c I feel it offers me good value.

Just curious to see if anyone had personal experience with Direct Buy.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:53 AM   #5
AstrosFan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeepson View Post
Just Google Direct Buy and you get of these scam warning sites.
Good advice - here's one link I found:

http://www.infomercialscams.com/scams/direct_buy_scams

Now, as all things on the web, it's hard to know if this is representative of the total experience with Direct Buy, but certainly this raises enough red flags that I'll probably stay clear.
$6K up front is also VERY hard to swallow, unless you're SURE that you'll recoup that money shortly.

Thanks for the thoughts!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
HD303
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to HD303
If your going to spending a lot of money - over $75k for say a kitchen or bathroom remodel, then maybe Direct Buy is a good deal, but for the average consumer it's probably not a good deal.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:29 PM   #7
ErikCLDR
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to ErikCLDR
I've heard bad things about it. My uncle however spent hundreds of thousands redoing a house and used it and is content with it.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:30 PM   #8
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5

IME They do not honour the "do not call" telephone solicitation lists or requests to remove from their own list.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:51 AM   #9
crishtina
macrumors newbie

I'm renovating the second floor of my home 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, new dry wall, flooring, windows, bathroom fixtures(shower, sink, and toilet) and electrical and paint, Contractors said it would take two and a half months, its going on four months and that’s not even half way done. How long should a complete one story home renovation take? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Huntn
macrumors 603

I'm reviving this thread because we recently received a post card offering to give us a free Amazon Kindle Fire for only visiting the local DirectBuy showroom and sit through an hour presentation. We plan on doing some house renovations so why not?

I called an made an appointment and the most alarming aspect was being advised this would be a one time only offer. After I listened to their presentation I would be given one chance only to accept or decline membership which according to this Wiki article is not cheap. Immediately, alarm bells reminding me of my visit last Spring to a time share facility. Why on Earth would a company offer a one-time-only chance to buy a membership? This is the ear marks of a con job or a high pressure sales tactic. Is there any reasonable reason that manufacturers would not allow someone to hear a membership pitch and then decide 3 months later, that they would like to join? I understand this it to make the offer appear more desirable, but my impression is that it would turn off more people than would be turned on by it. BTW, DirectBuy.com had a web site at one point, but it I can't find it. Hmm, might still go get a Kindle Fire...

Last edited by Huntn; Sep 15, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Huntn
macrumors 603

Joined Direct Buy, got free Kindle , and recommend it. Expensive to join. Key- you have to be planning on spending money to save money. Huge savings.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 11:55 AM   #12
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post
I understand what you mean, but the business model of paying a membership fee to shop somewhere isn't a novel one. Places like Costco & Sam's Club generate a significant portion of their revenue from membership fees.

To me the real issue is whether the merchandise/service provided justifies the cost of membership. I have a Costco membership which I gladly renew each year b/c I feel it offers me good value.

Just curious to see if anyone had personal experience with Direct Buy.
You are correct but the fee's seem like they are a little high.....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Joined Direct Buy, got free Kindle , and recommend it. Expensive to join. Key- you have to be planning on spending money to save money. Huge savings.
Let us know how your experience with them when you start the project(s) go!! Very interested to hear!
Old May 2, 2013, 01:18 PM   #13
mscriv
macrumors 68040

I have one friend who used to be a Direct Buy member. I'm not sure if he still is though. He made some purchases for furniture and a television and felt that his savings were worth it. I have some family who are also members and they love it. They got the membership after building a home and bought most of thier furniture through them.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion